Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber Lockdown Pry and Drive.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Gerber Lockdown Pry and Drive.
on: December 23, 2021, 02:23:53 AM
Not that long ago, I was able to acquire a Lockdown Pry. I just got the Drive in today. Here are my thoughts on both.

Both are very similar in size and weight. I commented on how I thought the Pry was big and heavy, well the Drive doesn't give its place in that regard.

20211222_194937A by Chako, on Flickr

I like how the Pry has a nice hefty pry bar function on the one end. The Drive replaces this for a bit driver. Both also feature nice pocket clips.

20211222_195001A by Chako, on Flickr

Of the two, I like the tool loadout of the Pry over that of the Drive. The included bit driver is a nice feature, but I find there is too much redundancy with everything else. Do you need a knife, X-Acto blade, and a sharp awl together? To me, this appears to be too many similar functions. That awl is razor sharp and can be used as a cutting tool. The Pry offers a pair of scissors, which I find very useful.

20211222_195213A by Chako, on Flickr

20211222_195315A by Chako, on Flickr

Both the Lockdown Pry and Drive are solid.

20211222_195441A by Chako, on Flickr

20211222_195504A by Chako, on Flickr

With that said, I do have some issues with these tools. I did mention that I prefer the Pry over the Drive. I find that the Drive has too many cutting tools on tap if that makes sense. Both are solid and heavy. The worst part of these tools, they are inherently dangerous to use. I say this because the tools are stiff to deploy. Worse yet, the nail nicks have serious design flaws, or so I think. There is no purchase for your nail to connect solidly with them, making the stiffness all the more apparent. I find my nail tends to fail to connect properly. For the most part, this is not an issue. However, sometimes, you do get enough and partially pull out the tool...this is where it gets dangerous. That X-Acto blade is super sharp and super short. I have almost cut myself on several occasions trying to deploy that little nasty number. I haven't as of yet cut myself, but I know it is just a matter of time, and I am being careful about it at that. To me, this detracts from these tremendously. Gerber needs to make those nail nicks stand out from the body more, or redesign them so that the nail tip locks in to give you enough purchase to solidly deploy the tool that you select. As it stands, this is most definitely not a one handed tool. I find it sometime not even a 2 handed tool...but that could just be me.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

Offline mikekoz

Re: Gerber Lockdown Pry and Drive.
Reply #1 on: December 28, 2021, 04:07:39 AM
I would like the Drive, but without the exacto blade, and with scissors!

us Offline NetsNJ

Re: Gerber Lockdown Pry and Drive.
Reply #2 on: May 12, 2022, 04:13:17 PM
I just picked these up as a collector.

They look really nice but  :facepalm:

They are impossible and/or dangerous to one hand open.  Ridiculous.  Does no one test anything at Gerber?  They are nicely designed and actually well built, but basically unusable.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%