Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Waht is THE best small flashligts to EDC? Or brands

00 Offline Jonnylistar01

• New User
Waht is THE best small flashligts to EDC? Or brands
on: January 30, 2022, 12:01:22 PM
I think im goding to start edc a flashligt togeter with My leatherman surge, but i dont know wich One that i shuld carry, i realy want a ligt with Long batery time, and a disent amount of lumens, i am a new user of this forum but i think i havet found My kind of place, thanks

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Re: Waht is THE best small flashligts to EDC? Or brands
Reply #1 on: January 30, 2022, 02:40:07 PM
I have a MecArmy SGN3 which is small and fabulous. USB rechargable, 3 levels of white light, red light, UV light and size of half a matchbox.
I keep it on my Keychain.
My bigger flashlights are Nitecores, but their smaller ones weren't as good as this.

Στάλθηκε από το MAR-LX1A μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #2 on: January 30, 2022, 03:33:40 PM
I’m using a Limintop Tool AA 2.0. It’s not part of my keychain but it can easily clip on to any Leatherman kit I have. What I like about it is it can take in regular alkaline batteries or rechargeables - either NiMH or Li-Ion. 

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Reply #3 on: January 30, 2022, 03:47:21 PM
What makes a light the 'best' depends on what you want from it, not just battery and brightness, but your preferences on: throw, flood, dimensions, battery type, features and all that, as well as what you consider to be an aceptable size.

The Lumintop Tool AA 2.0 is a popular model on here.
I carry one as a backup, but my primary is an Olight Perun Mini and my secondary is a Fenix TK11 TAC.

I also rotate some of my favourites. The direct competitor to the Olight is the Fenix HM50R, with the LD15R being a similar option. Olight's most popular EDC model is the Baton Mini series, but again Fenix counter that with their E18R. In both cases Fenix torches tend to have the better spread of lumens and warmer CRI. Batteries seem to last longer too, and you can use other brands of cell.
If you're not that picky, Olight are an entry level brand good enough for people that just want a light, though really not as low-priced as they ought to be.

Nitecore are another well-known brand, a bit more quirky and not afraid of trying new things, even if they never really take off.
I really favour their TINI 2 model, and occasionally still use the TUP, too. I have an MT21C that I keep around the work garage for use in our vehicles.

Sofirn do some nice kit at pretty reasonable prices. I've not really gotten into them myself and there's still one with the Anduril UI that I need to have another bash with, but others seem to really like them.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #4 on: January 31, 2022, 08:38:37 AM
Generally long run time will not be compatible with high lumens and small light.

Assuming by high you mean over 200, many small lights can provide these, but only for a short time (some only for a few seconds, on Turbo mode).
If you want longer run time then you may have to use the light at 10, 20 Lm.

Also, as mentioned by others, the definition of small is important.

Nitecore tip and several other similar models may be considered small, but not tiny.  There are several lights running one AAA that are also good for a keychain.

Some, running button cells are significantly smaller.

Do you want to be able to recharge the light directly (e.g. nitecore tip) or to use regular or rechargeable batteries?
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

00 Offline Jonnylistar01

• New User
Reply #5 on: January 31, 2022, 08:58:01 AM
Generally long run time will not be compatible with high lumens and small light.

Assuming by high you mean over 200, many small lights can provide these, but only for a short time (some only for a few seconds, on Turbo mode).
If you want longer run time then you may have to use the light at 10, 20 Lm.

Also, as mentioned by others, the definition of small is important.

Nitecore tip and several other similar models may be considered small, but not tiny.  There are several lights running one AAA that are also good for a keychain.

Some, running button cells are significantly smaller.

Do you want to be able to recharge the light directly (e.g. nitecore tip) or to use regular or rechargeable batteries?

i want recharge it with usb conetions or sumthing like that, on THE sice i want somthing like THE thicknes of a pen or simular. And about 40-70 mm, and about 50- 100 luminen, sorry for bad spellings

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #6 on: January 31, 2022, 09:18:51 AM
The jetbeam Mini one is a good and low cost suggestion. There are other brands making similar lights.  It is not as slim as a bic pen but not too fat either.

Sofirn SC01 may also be an option, as well as other similar lights.

Their maximum brightness is higher that what you need, but they can be run with lower brightness too.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Sos24

Reply #7 on: January 31, 2022, 09:21:09 AM
i want recharge it with usb conetions or sumthing like that, on THE sice i want somthing like THE thicknes of a pen or simular. And about 40-70 mm, and about 50- 100 luminen, sorry for bad spellings
It sounds like what you would really like is what is generally considered a keychain flashlight.  I would recommend looking at:
- RovyVon - there are several models that would probably meet your needs
- Nitecore Tiki
- Astrolux K2
- Also, almost any 10180 flashlight.  The use a 10180 battery but have a usb charging port built-in.  MecArmy and Jetbeam are a couple popular ones.

us Offline charlie fox

Reply #8 on: January 31, 2022, 01:41:21 PM
I've been carrying and using the Rovyvon A1x for several months now and am absolutely floored by it! Very small and light, good user interface (single button), rechargeable and uses the charge wisely. It's also silly bright! 650 lumens on High, although it won't last long on that setting; it steps down automatically. I've charged overnight three times since I've owned it (I bought it last Summer) and have used it as my primary light since then without it running out of juice. And it goes for about US$20!

* qLiiW9o[1].jpg (Filesize: 196.36 KB)

* LJyxMnd[1].jpg (Filesize: 86.39 KB)
"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: February 01, 2022, 02:25:02 AM
Not USB rechargeable, but a Fenix LD02 V2 sounds like it would otherwise fit the bill.

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: February 03, 2022, 01:54:09 AM
I have and like several Fenix lights and they are well made for sure.

But I do not EDC any as they just do not offer any Low,Low modes and my EDC lights need to have one and have needed to for a while now too.
Pretty much the same for Olight,Thrunite,Nitecore and most others really.

So I EDC Zebralights and they can be tricky to get setup like I want them and are a little more expensive than others too but they do exactly what I want them too and I have not had one break ever and I am happy to pay for all of those advantages.
Also they offer the emitter tint and color rendering that I prefer across the entire range of their lights.

They also do not turn on in my pockets somehow but EVERY other light that I have tried does unless I unscrew the head to prevent it,EVERY ONE!?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: February 03, 2022, 06:05:39 PM
As a long time Fenix LD02 user its a very nice light.  I am a big fan of AAA lights.  Recently tho I bought the Rovyvon A5 and man what a light.  It does everything I want and is nice and compact for key chain carry or 5th pocket carry.   

AAA Eneloop
AA Eneloop
Rovyvon Aurora A5 specs, Not exactly sure as I tossed to packing.  Sorry.  I can tell you the high is HIGH and low is LOW.  This does charge by micro USB which is why I got it.   
Olight I3S EOS specs, 80 pm 35min, 20 lm 8 hours, .5 lm 60 hours, strobe. 
Fenix E05 SS specs, 85 lm 1 hour, 25 lm 4 hours, 8 lm 14 hours. 
Fenix LD02 specs, 8 lm14 hours, 25 lm 4 hours, 100 lm 45mins. 

* IMG_4421.jpg (Filesize: 133.4 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline William

Reply #12 on: February 04, 2022, 11:17:27 PM
Been carrying this little guy for a while now and really like it. I had the original TINI and sold it after getting the TINI2.
A bit complicated until you use it a few times but a great little light. A 5 mode 1 - 500 (claim) lumens and a 2-stage lockout.
The screen shows remaining run time for each mode and USB rechargeable. Direct access to low and turbo.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: February 07, 2022, 06:37:49 AM
I have and like several Fenix lights and they are well made for sure.

But I do not EDC any as they just do not offer any Low,Low modes and my EDC lights need to have one and have needed to for a while now too.
Pretty much the same for Olight,Thrunite,Nitecore and most others really.

So I EDC Zebralights and they can be tricky to get setup like I want them and are a little more expensive than others too but they do exactly what I want them too and I have not had one break ever and I am happy to pay for all of those advantages.
Also they offer the emitter tint and color rendering that I prefer across the entire range of their lights.

They also do not turn on in my pockets somehow but EVERY other light that I have tried does unless I unscrew the head to prevent it,EVERY ONE!?

Yea, that’s one of my few criticisms of Fenix lights - too many high and medium modes (not to mention stupid strobe modes that no one uses) and not enough (or low enough) low modes.

I’ve been carrying a Fenix PD40R V2 as my primary light quite a bit lately.  There’s a lot I really like about it (and many of these features are also found on at least some other Fenix lights):
- solid quality
- extremely bright turbo and high modes (which I need for work)
- simple and intuitive UI
- water, cold, and drop resistant
- built-in charging port
- automatic battery level indicator
- no issues with accidental activation in pocket
- easy to use one-handed

However, a low mode of 30 lumens is not really very low.  If you wake up in the middle of the night and just need to find the bathroom, 30 lumens is blinding.  I would love to see the strobe mode replaced with a moonlight mode.

us Offline Explorer

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: February 14, 2022, 01:27:51 AM
I’m using a Limintop Tool AA 2.0. It’s not part of my keychain but it can easily clip on to any Leatherman kit I have. What I like about it is it can take in regular alkaline batteries or rechargeables - either NiMH or Li-Ion.
:iagree: :cheers:
The Limintop Tool AA 2.0 is a tough reliable EDC light
I’m getting great results using them with the green Duracell rechargeable batteries

Offline Carl0088

• New User
Reply #15 on: March 02, 2022, 10:14:38 AM
This is I carried the best small EDC flashlight currently. ACEBEAM Rider RX

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #16 on: May 16, 2022, 11:27:06 AM
I’ve come to ask for recommendations on what’s a good keychain light — I plan to replace the USD1.0 light on my wife’s keychain with something more ‘useable’ to light her path along the sidewalk when she gets off the shuttle bus.

1. It has to be small, like AAA small but serviceable.  I’m tired of multiple LR44’s in a plastic tube that go inside a flashlight’s tube.
2. Now here’s the clincher - it has to be a clicky switch.  Single hand operation is a must!  Imagine a scenario where you’re holding up an umbrella in the pouring rain and you have to work the twisty head.

Nice to have: can it come in another color aside from black that’s bound to get lost inside a shoulder bag?

My immediate option is TrustFire Mini2 which is currently in my car keys BUT it’s a twisty.  On the plus side though a full twist will give max lumens instantly.

Has anyone used a Lumintop Frog with a 10180 battery setup?

se Offline RF52

Reply #17 on: May 16, 2022, 02:56:39 PM
Rovyvon Aurora A5X even glows in the dark, might be worth checking out.
Nitecore has one very similar named Tiki I think.

Sent fra min M2002J9G via Tapatalk

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: May 16, 2022, 05:05:15 PM
I dig the newer Nitecore (e.g. Tiny2/Tiki), because they can run off a powerbank (if you forgot to charge it or need it for a longer time (e.g. if your bike light fails, so you have at least some illumination and you need it for a longer time)) and the RovyVon A8xU with red/white/UV side-light (though I really wish they would upgrade to USB-C).
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: May 16, 2022, 07:43:34 PM
Yeah, Nitecore TIP, Tube and Tiki are great lights for the money.  Tiki is one of my most carried lights, but the Tube is so inexpensive I think everyone should just buy one anyway. TIP is quite a bit bigger than the other two, but that just means it sits slightly better in the hand.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Sos24

Reply #20 on: May 17, 2022, 04:10:29 AM
I’ve come to ask for recommendations on what’s a good keychain light — I plan to replace the USD1.0 light on my wife’s keychain with something more ‘useable’ to light her path along the sidewalk when she gets off the shuttle bus.

1. It has to be small, like AAA small but serviceable.  I’m tired of multiple LR44’s in a plastic tube that go inside a flashlight’s tube.
2. Now here’s the clincher - it has to be a clicky switch.  Single hand operation is a must!  Imagine a scenario where you’re holding up an umbrella in the pouring rain and you have to work the twisty head.

Nice to have: can it come in another color aside from black that’s bound to get lost inside a shoulder bag?

My immediate option is TrustFire Mini2 which is currently in my car keys BUT it’s a twisty.  On the plus side though a full twist will give max lumens instantly.

Has anyone used a Lumintop Frog with a 10180 battery setup?
The first answer that comes to mind is a USB micro or USB-c rechargeable light like Rovyvon, Nitecore or Mateminco/Astrolux.  Many of these tend to be smaller and more powerful than AAA lights and a side clicky.  My favorite is the Mateminco CSF-04 (aka Astrolux K2) mainly because of the smooth ramping, but Rovyvon and Nitecore also have nice options.  The Mateminco also comes in several colors, including GITD.

If you are actually looking for a AAA light, then the ones that I know with a clicky are Prometheus Preon, Mateminco CSF-03, or Hatori Mini.  One thing to know about all of these, because they have a tail clicky, they do not have a keychain hole.

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: May 17, 2022, 06:06:48 AM
Nitecore Tube and Rovyvon A5 series are great recommendations.

Looking for a smaller clicky, I'd say the Lumtintop Tool AAA, I think it comes in different colours too.
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

us Offline tattoosteve99

Reply #22 on: May 31, 2022, 05:45:21 AM
I’ve give another vote for the rovyvon. I got the Ti one and it’s been riding on my keys for awhile now. Not one problem. They are also on Amazon which is a plus for me. I spoke directly with the owner/maker and he hooked me up right. I would not hesitate to get another one. 500 lumens on high and that’s a beast for the size.
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%