Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Avalanche The Rescuer 90 pc First Aid Kit.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Avalanche The Rescuer 90 pc First Aid Kit.
on: May 28, 2022, 07:23:20 AM
I have a  thing for survival kits and first aid kits. Not sure why, but I find it hard to resist acquiring them when I find them out in the wild. The latest purchase is this Avalanche The Rescuer 90 pc First Aid Kit.

20220527_234321A by Chako, on Flickr

This is what I would call a medium sized carry case. There are no belt loops as the kit is a bit large to carry it that way, although the addition of one would have been nice. Instead, you have a pair of carry handles. The zippered case contains 4 interior pockets. 1 Large, 1 medium, and 2 small pockets. All pockets are made of clear plastic so that you can easily identify the contents at a glance.

20220527_234346A by Chako, on Flickr

20220527_234419A by Chako, on Flickr

The largest compartment holds a few gauze pads and a single ABD pad, along with the snake bite pump. I was very surprised at the size of the snake bite pump. This thing is way too big. Not only that, I think the current advice is to get the patient to medical help as soon as possible and to not try to suck out the venom. If I was to use this, I would toss the pump out which would open up a ton of space for survival gear. You could easily turn this into one heck of a survival/first aid kit. The included First Aid poster is not bad.

20220527_234552A by Chako, on Flickr

Included here is an emergency whistle, a D carabiner, a roll of medical tape, and some wrap around gauze.

20220527_234732A by Chako, on Flickr

In the other smaller pocket, you get an assortment of alcohol prep pads, antiseptic clean wipes, and sting relief prep pads.

20220527_234925A by Chako, on Flickr

In the medium sized compartment are your bandages, a triangular arm sling, a pair of medical scissors, and the largest plastic tweezers I have ever seen. My simple test for tweezers is to see if they can grasp and pull hair. I am happy to say these passed the test with flying colours. The box of bandages is an odd addition in that they included the box. You would save room here by simply removing the bandages from the box and discarding the box.

20220527_235106A by Chako, on Flickr

20220527_235154A by Chako, on Flickr

So this one is a bit of a mixed bag. The snake bite kit takes up a lot of room, and it is something I am uncertain should be used in the first place. Removing that item alone frees up a lot of space. Removing the bandages and discarding the box also frees up more space. This allows you to customize this kit to meet your needs. As it stands, for an under 20 dollar first aid kit, it is not all that bad.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Avalanche The Rescuer 90 pc First Aid Kit.
Reply #1 on: June 03, 2022, 10:47:30 PM
It looks like a nice kit, especially for the cost.

I also like first aid kits.  I feel similar to how I think many on here may about multitools, I want to find the perfect one for my different needs and am always looking for something that might work better.  Although, the exact content isn’t as important to me as the size, bag quality and internal organization.  If I find a nice bag I have no problem adding content (or making substitutions) if the kit overall.

For home and car, I like the Surviveware medical kits.  The fact that the pockets are labeled is nice  for someone who isn’t that familar and being waterproof is a place.

For day hiking and edc bag, I use an REI/HART DayHike. I like the size and organization.  One I have had for a few years and keep replacing items.

I just ordered one from Cascade First Aid that is a little bigger and looks really nice.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Re: Avalanche The Rescuer 90 pc First Aid Kit.
Reply #2 on: June 05, 2022, 05:16:09 AM
You can never have enough first aid kits I think.  :tu:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85