Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

$17 USD Serrated Spartans at Sierra

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
$17 USD Serrated Spartans at Sierra
on: February 02, 2022, 09:50:07 PM
For anyone who needs to stock up on these to use or mod. $16.99 is pretty hard to beat for brand new and available in large quantities and free shipping with $89+ orders.

https://www.sierra.com/item~p~73ftr

If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Re: $17 USD Serrated Spartans at Sierra
Reply #1 on: February 04, 2022, 11:57:41 PM
Interesting. I think I've only seen serrated Spartans at REI, where I bought a pair for an even lower sale price a couple or three years ago. They aren't available there now, nor am I sure if I've seen them since.

The serrated Spartan being apparently discontinued some years ago suggests to me that it was overproduced, and that what we've been seeing is old stock from the North American Vic warehouse dribbling out now and then. Who knows if this is the last opportunity to buy one new?
Rambler

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: February 05, 2022, 02:38:01 AM
Supply has been spotty at best. Prices remain all over the place. I’ve gotten new ones before, I don’t recall checking the year constructed, but 2mm tangs so not from before the 2000s.

Now I wish somebody would find a bunch of NOS serrated Recruits!
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #3 on: February 05, 2022, 09:07:01 AM
The knives with serrated blades make the best steak knives ever. Ideal for eating out.

I have a particular fondness for the serrated Recruit. Just a bit easier to carry than the s/Spartan, and I normally have a Swisschamp close at hand anyway. A serrated Cadet II mod would be damn slim and give a choice of edges.

Have you paired a serrated large blade with a plain edge large blade in your mods, kamakiri? If so, what do you put on the other end of the springs? One would have a small blade, I should think? I know the combo tool is also a factory fit, if redundant if you have an opener layer.
Rambler

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: February 05, 2022, 05:44:45 PM
The knives with serrated blades make the best steak knives ever. Ideal for eating out.

I have a particular fondness for the serrated Recruit. Just a bit easier to carry than the s/Spartan, and I normally have a Swisschamp close at hand anyway. A serrated Cadet II mod would be damn slim and give a choice of edges.
The serrated blade would be awesome and slim on any 84mm alox Vic could offer. I just wish those knives and blades weren’t so dang rare and relatively expensive.

Have you paired a serrated large blade with a plain edge large blade in your mods, kamakiri? If so, what do you put on the other end of the springs? One would have a small blade, I should think? I know the combo tool is also a factory fit, if redundant if you have an opener layer.

I have a couple/few of methods and designs for including two large blades. With and without small blades/Combo Tool. There’s lots of other small blade tools to mix in…pruner/hawksbill, electrician, clip, drop, and the various era Combo tools to boot. I wouldn’t normally think to include two of the exact same tool. Far too many options and possible combinations if you ask me!

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #5 on: February 06, 2022, 01:58:15 AM
I have a couple/few of methods and designs for including two large blades. With and without small blades/Combo Tool. There’s lots of other small blade tools to mix in…pruner/hawksbill, electrician, clip, drop, and the various era Combo tools to boot. I wouldn’t normally think to include two of the exact same tool. Far too many options and possible combinations if you ask me!

Thanks, I always forget about the hawksbill and electrician blades, having neither.

I'm not a fan of the either the old Vic or Wenger/Delemont small clip blades. There's too much belly on them and they're harder to open than a spear/drop point.
Rambler

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: February 06, 2022, 05:23:54 AM
Thanks, I always forget about the hawksbill and electrician blades, having neither.

I'm not a fan of the either the old Vic or Wenger/Delemont small clip blades. There's too much belly on them and they're harder to open than a spear/drop point.

Dang, I love the clip points! I wish they’d come back…

I can only say they’ve been harder to deploy when they sag and sit low from pin or liner wear.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%