Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SAK Beginner Questions

tm3 · 57 · 2924

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Re: SAK Beginner Questions
Reply #30 on: February 04, 2022, 11:19:45 PM
If you’re looking to avoid scratches another option may be to choose one of the ruby or sapphire translucent scales. They will scratch but it seems like it doesn’t show as much with these scales although my only experience with them so far is on my semi newly acquired cyber tool 34 so I can’t speak to long long term. Maybe someone else can chime in about this  :dunno:

I reckon ruby scales show scratches worse than sapphire or other translucent scales do.

That said, ruby is perhaps my least favourite scale colour, so... :whistle:
Rambler

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: February 04, 2022, 11:39:01 PM
I am a little reluctant to attack a brand new knife for scale replacement, so I might try looking for a used SAK on eBay to experiment with.

Any tips for eBay success with SAKs, especially avoiding the scams and ripoffs?  I've only bought a handful of things from eBay.  Most were OK but I did get nailed on one item from the PRC.
Some good tips from PC above.

Here are my rules for successful ebaying:

1.  I strongly prefer to buy from US sellers (I’m also in the US.). I’ve had a few international transactions that have been OK, but a much higher rate of problems overall.  Unless it is something you’re desperate enough to really roll the dice on, it just isn’t worth the added hassle, wait time, expense, and risk IMO.

2.  Try to buy from established sellers if possible, i.e. those who do a lot of business on ebay and have a reputation to protect.

3.  Make sure you understand shipping costs before buying/bidding.

4.  Read the description etc. thoroughly.

5.  Examine all pictures closely.

6.  (Corollary to #5) It’s 2022, and most people have really good digital cameras built right into their phones.  There is no good excuse for bad pictures.  Anyone who puts up a listing with pics that are out of focus or too dark to see clearly is probably trying to hide something.

7.  Know what the items you are looking for normally sell for, so you can identify overpriced vs. fair deal vs. good deal vs. too good to be true.

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Reply #32 on: February 05, 2022, 06:25:08 AM
You must have a big wallet, especially if a MiniChamp fits.
 :whistle:
Just a standard Chums Surfshort... MC fits easily.

us Offline Farmer X

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master of the unexciting
Reply #33 on: February 05, 2022, 07:16:30 AM
Any tips for eBay success with SAKs, especially avoiding the scams and ripoffs?
Know what you're looking at, and don't be afraid to ask the seller any questions you have. I have some sellers that I avoid like the plague, for they have badly misrepresented SAKs or just strike me as being flakes.
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

us Offline Explorer

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: February 05, 2022, 05:56:42 PM
I reckon ruby scales show scratches worse than sapphire or other translucent scales do.

That said, ruby is perhaps my least favourite scale colour, so... :whistle:
Ha yeah it’s funny i’ve heard people say that as well but then I’ve heard people say they’re more durable haven’t had a chance to put mine through some torture testing yet. Definitely curious to see what other people think about them because I don’t have much experience. Cheers  :cheers:

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #35 on: February 05, 2022, 10:30:46 PM

6.  (Corollary to #5) It’s 2022, and most people have really good digital cameras built right into their phones.  There is no good excuse for bad pictures.  Anyone who puts up a listing with pics that are out of focus or too dark to see clearly is probably trying to hide something.

Ain't it the truth.
I can't stand listings that I can't see, especially when the listing says something like "Check out the pictures".
Addicted to sharp pointy things.

00 Offline tm3

Reply #36 on: February 05, 2022, 10:43:22 PM
Thanks for all the great advice!  I'll start prowling and see if I come up with anything.

us Offline Explorer

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: February 06, 2022, 12:07:16 AM
I'll start prowling
What a coincidence that’s exactly what I do when I go to the Victorinox factory store in Connecticut.
 :cheers:

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #38 on: February 06, 2022, 05:02:43 AM
Another thing to add about eBaying: some sellers genuinely don't know much about the SAK(s) they're selling, and others are trying to hoodwink you. Sometimes it can be difficult to determine which is which. If something doesn't seem right to you, save your money!
USN 2000-2006

00 Offline tm3

Reply #39 on: February 06, 2022, 05:41:50 PM
Another thing to add about eBaying: some sellers genuinely don't know much about the SAK(s) they're selling, and others are trying to hoodwink you. Sometimes it can be difficult to determine which is which. If something doesn't seem right to you, save your money!

Yes my impression from the small amount of time and few purchases that I have made on ebay suggests to me that there is more hoodwinking going on than anything else (bad photos, oddly worded descriptions, etc.) and I guess I'll soon see if this applies to the world of SAK.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #40 on: February 07, 2022, 02:35:17 PM
Patience.  I've learned that excitement can lead to buying at a higher price or something thats seemed off hoping it would work out.  Excellent pictures are not hard to take so anything with bad pics is a NO GO. 

Happy shopping.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline FolderBeholder

Reply #41 on: February 07, 2022, 05:04:57 PM
I'd like to point out another twist to the poor photos issue.
I have received some of my best purchases from poor photos.  As if the person selling has an old camera and knows how to upload them, so they stick with the old camera.
If their other ads show similar results (low quality photos), don't be afraid to take a chance.  If all other photos from other ads are crystal clear, then yep, I'd agree, something is amiss there.
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Reply #42 on: February 07, 2022, 10:16:08 PM
I'd also point out that, while I have one of the latest and greatest camera phones, it is absolutely no guarantee of quality or ability on the user's part, as my pics on here will demonstrate.
It still takes a modicum of understanding to create a good photo as, no matter what it says on the box, these things with all their auto functions are still not "simply point and shoot".

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #43 on: February 07, 2022, 11:23:58 PM
Fair enough FB.  I have seen some of y'all score some nice stuff even if the pics were less than. 

@Tasky I resemble your remarks  :facepalm:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Explorer

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: February 10, 2022, 03:14:56 PM
I have received some of my best purchases from poor photos.  As if the person selling has an old camera and knows how to upload them, so they stick with the old camera.
If their other ads show similar results (low quality photos), don't be afraid to take a chance.  If all other photos from other ads are crystal clear, then yep, I'd agree, something is amiss there.
:iagree:
Some of my absolute best eBay scores have been on listings that had blurry pictures as well. Have no fear!

Offline mattbod

Reply #45 on: February 11, 2022, 04:14:53 AM
Hi Interesting to read your post. I think all of this is subjective. I think everyone should own a Swiss Champ. They are a bit heavy to carry around but great to have in the house. I terms of carying I like the simpler, slimmer knives. If you can do without scissors the Cadet Alox an inexpensive, compact and tough knife that disappears into your pocket and could be carried on a bunch of keys. .If you want the corkscrew and awl there is the Spartan. If you need Scissors there is the Climber and Pioneer X. They are what I carry. I looked at the Mini Champ but could not justify it. I have a Classic SD but it annoys me as the blades open towards the keyring so it is awkward to use while attached to a keyring. Great little knife to have on a lanyard though or in your pocket.

00 Offline tm3

Reply #46 on: February 11, 2022, 03:15:26 PM
Hi Interesting to read your post. I think all of this is subjective. I think everyone should own a Swiss Champ. They are a bit heavy to carry around but great to have in the house. I terms of carying I like the simpler, slimmer knives. If you can do without scissors the Cadet Alox an inexpensive, compact and tough knife that disappears into your pocket and could be carried on a bunch of keys. .If you want the corkscrew and awl there is the Spartan. If you need Scissors there is the Climber and Pioneer X. They are what I carry. I looked at the Mini Champ but could not justify it. I have a Classic SD but it annoys me as the blades open towards the keyring so it is awkward to use while attached to a keyring. Great little knife to have on a lanyard though or in your pocket.

Thank you for your thoughts.  I've considered a SwissChamp, but I don't think that I would carry it because of the weight and I think that in the house I would reach for a "real" tool rather than the SC.  However, as what I consider a quintessential SAK I'd still like to own one.

The more I look the more I think that there is no one SAK that is perfect in every way, so the solution for me will be an assortment!

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #47 on: February 11, 2022, 03:20:15 PM
The more I look the more I think that there is no one SAK that is perfect in every way, so the solution for me will be an assortment!

That's the spirit.

* smily clapping.jpg (Filesize: 15.41 KB)

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #48 on: February 11, 2022, 03:26:27 PM

I looked at the Mini Champ but could not justify it. I have a Classic SD but it annoys me as the blades open towards the keyring so it is awkward to use while attached to a keyring. Great little knife to have on a lanyard though or in your pocket.

I love my MiniChamps... though a Rambler could also fit my needs, with it's combo tool.  My granddaughters are always needing batteries replaced in their toys

Offline mattbod

Reply #49 on: February 11, 2022, 07:44:34 PM

I love my MiniChamps... though a Rambler could also fit my needs, with it's combo tool.  My granddaughters are always needing batteries replaced in their toys

Thanks and yeah they look great but I don’t think I would use the cuticle pusher or ruler tbh. I have just ordered a Rambler for a decent price of £20. I think it will be ideal because of that philips screwdriver and crucially, the blade opens away from the keyring. It is a shame they don’t do an Alox version. I have written to Urs Wyss the happy guy who features in the mega factories documentary about the opening towards keyring issue. He is their marketing wonk. Let’s see if he replies. I should have mentioned an Alox Rambler too.

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #50 on: February 12, 2022, 06:12:14 PM
Thanks and yeah they look great but I don’t think I would use the cuticle pusher or ruler tbh. I have just ordered a Rambler for a decent price of £20. I think it will be ideal because of that philips screwdriver and crucially, the blade opens away from the keyring. It is a shame they don’t do an Alox version. I have written to Urs Wyss the happy guy who features in the mega factories documentary about the opening towards keyring issue. He is their marketing wonk. Let’s see if he replies. I should have mentioned an Alox Rambler too.

Don't get me wrong.
I like the Ramblers too.
I've got several.  That's one pattern that actually stays in my car.  Alox would be killer, and I'd be all over one too.

00 Offline tm3

Reply #51 on: February 17, 2022, 04:21:40 PM
Just to follow up, I ended up snagging an Evo14 on eBay for a very reasonable price.  I'm actually very surprised at the condition.  Except for what looked like a little tape residue on the blade, the tools look new.  The scales had a little scratching and pitting -- I hand-polished them with some automotive clear coat polish (maybe not optimal, but what I have on hand) and they look much better.  The split ring is bent a little bit.

This knife wasn't really on my radar, but it turns out that I like the size and tool set quite a bit.  I heard a number of complaints about the scissors on the Evos but so far they have been fine for me.

This didn't really fulfill my search for a "beater" to replace scales on, but I'm very pleased with it.

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #52 on: February 18, 2022, 04:27:34 AM
This knife wasn't really on my radar, but it turns out that I like the size and tool set quite a bit.
Good to hear. Finding something that's off the radar but ends up working out is always nice.
USN 2000-2006

00 Offline tm3

Reply #53 on: February 20, 2022, 04:40:23 PM
So another question has come up and I want to pose it to the sage SAKers, especially those with eBay experience.

As I said, I am very pleased (and surprised) with my Evo14.  I've ended up using it more than I expected in the short time I have had it, and as you all can relate I'm interested in trying some other models to see how much I might actually use certain tools (hook, saw, etc.).

I've noticed that the seller I bought from has listed multiple other SAKs.  The curious thing is, he never seems to get bids on his knives.  I was the only bidder on the Evo14.  I've watched a few other auctions end with no bids.  The photos are reasonable, the SAKs look to be in reasonable shape (mine is very nice), the seller has a good review rating, and the starting prices are in line with other auctions.  The only negative I can think of is I emailed the seller with a question about another SAK and he did not answer; there is, however, a 30 day return policy.

I'm not sure how to interpret what is going on here.  Does it sound like this seller should be avoided?

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #54 on: February 20, 2022, 06:09:29 PM
If you're pleased with your previous purchase, try another.

Personally I've never had any problem buying most items from eBay.  I did, though, have one seller that blocked me from bidding after I had won an auction.  I questioned the reason but got no answer.  Blocked his/her store on my end so that I no longer saw them in my searches.

Perhaps his listings don't show up correctly in others searches which cause little bidding.  IDK.
If it would make you happier, send me his link and I'll bid you up some,  I can definitely say that there is a seller that, every time I see something from her I just know that the items will just about command the highest bids.
As for not answering a message, red flag, I really couldn't say one way or the other.  Like I said, right off, if you're pleased with your last purchase, go for another.

Either way  good luck.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #55 on: February 20, 2022, 09:22:59 PM
So another question has come up and I want to pose it to the sage SAKers, especially those with eBay experience.

As I said, I am very pleased (and surprised) with my Evo14.  I've ended up using it more than I expected in the short time I have had it, and as you all can relate I'm interested in trying some other models to see how much I might actually use certain tools (hook, saw, etc.).

I've noticed that the seller I bought from has listed multiple other SAKs.  The curious thing is, he never seems to get bids on his knives.  I was the only bidder on the Evo14.  I've watched a few other auctions end with no bids.  The photos are reasonable, the SAKs look to be in reasonable shape (mine is very nice), the seller has a good review rating, and the starting prices are in line with other auctions.  The only negative I can think of is I emailed the seller with a question about another SAK and he did not answer; there is, however, a 30 day return policy.

I'm not sure how to interpret what is going on here.  Does it sound like this seller should be avoided?

If you bought from the seller before and were pleased, I wouldn’t hesitate to buy from that seller again.

With regard to not answering an email, some people get dozens or even hundreds of emails per day, so it’s easy for one to slip through the cracks.  If you were otherwise pleased with the transaction and item, I wouldn’t worry about this.

Zero bids on an item isn’t always a red flag.  The number of bids an item gets is dependent on a large number of factors.  Supply and demand are important, but starting price, reserve requirements, keywords, etc. all factor in.

When it comes to used SAKs that are models still being manufactured, typically they aren’t in terribly limited supply, and the fact that they can readily be purchased new limits what people will pay for them used.

As I said earlier, it’s very important to know what the item you want should sell for, so you can identify great deal vs. good deal vs. fair deal vs. overpriced.

00 Offline tm3

Reply #56 on: February 21, 2022, 03:56:57 PM
Very good input, thank you all!  If I see something from that seller that appeals I'll go for it.

As I've said, some of the stuff on the auction site seems very odd to me.  Another that just registered is how a seller (such as the one I mentioned) sells some knives as singles but other knives of the same model are paired with another model.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%