Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Who else has put some work into a beat up SAK and given it a second chance?

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
These Explorers are two of my favorites - because they are survivors.

The red one was an estate sale find. When I got it, I couldn't open most of the blades because of the dirt and oxidation. After a lot of cleaning and hard work, it has good snap in nearly all of them and is part of my rotation. (See here https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,87409.0.html for the story.)

The black one I found on eBay. As you can see from the blades, the previous owner used and sharpened them a lot. It also looks like the previous owner tried to sharpen the scissors with a pull-through knife sharpener as there was an edge on both sides of each scissor blade, making them useless for cutting anything fine. I used a diamond sharpener to re-edge the scissor blades to have just one edge each and they work great now. (And here https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,87693.0.html for this story.)

Who else has a SAK that could have otherwise been landfill at worst or broken up for parts at best, if you hadn't put some work into it and given it a second chance?

* 2022-02-10 20.57.16.jpg (Filesize: 499.11 KB)
SAKs:
58mm: Bijou (3), Classic SD (7), Mini Champ Plus (mod), Alox Classic SD, Rambler (3), Companion
65mm: Wenger Esquire
74mm: Executive
85mm: Evolution S557, Traveler,
91mm: Champion "c", Swiss Champ (4), Explorer (3), Deluxe Tinker, Huntsman, Serrated Spartan/Weekender, Explorer Plus, Deluxe Explorer Plus (mod), Outdoorsman Plus, Champion "a", Champion Plus, Timekeeper Alarm, Golfer
93mm: Pioneer Alox

us Offline Farmer X

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master of the unexciting
Not yet. Some day I will. No sense trashing a perfectly good SAK because it needs a little elbow grease!
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

ph Offline Zephon

The Tool Chest Plus I used in the Wenger challenge was a USD30 find. Took years before I decided to properly work on it with elbow grease. The end result? Enough for a 30-day challenge badge.

Aside from the usual dirt, grime, rust spots, the saw was bent at the tip and a liner. It seems to have taken a bad fall and the impact point bent some implements that they couldn’t close properly.

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Bought a "Handyman Special" off of the eBay, couple years ago, because it had a MiniChamp II, along with a couple of classics  each in various stages of distress.

The MiniChamp had it's main blade as well as the scissors look like they were used on one of the old style electric knife sharpeners.  Not a purdy sight.

Long story short...
My first attempt at doing any form of SAK teardown...
Using the 2 classics as doners I was able to replace the blade and scissors, from 1, as well as adding a set of  LE scales from the other.   The Camo scales went onto another MC, which have been in my rotation ever since.

Addicted to sharp pointy things.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
I’ve done a lot of rescuing over the years. Top of the list for time spent are:

‘73 136ka Craftsman
‘04 Spartan Lite
c. ‘50 234U

The Craftsman wasn’t so bad, but the warped or curled scale ends were probably the worst part. They were bad enough that the knife couldn’t be carried in pocket without snagging everything or anything. Next would be the lack of snap in the blade layer. The rest was mostly cosmetic…like the proud shield and making the broken double leaf scissor spring into a functional single leaf. Made the clip point look like new and duplicated a factory looking grind on it. 

The Spartan Lite was probably the worst ~$20 I ever spent on a knife. It only had one problem…it was stuck shut presumably from internal corrosion. Tools on both ends were nail-breaking stuck. And I have strong, thick thumbnails. But it was a great way to learn how to make one with this issue work and snap like new without taking it apart.

The crab-claw 234 was probably one of the most technically challenging restorations I’ve done. Ironically, I ‘saved’ this knife because none of it’s parts were really good enough to be used to restore other knives. Except maybe it’s two backsprings. Smashed liner ends, missing bail/shackle, delaminating shield were the worst parts. It was in the EDC pile for a while, but I’ve put it away since.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%