Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Recommendations for a mid size multitool not too bulky.

Offline IG_LostPoetVibes

Hey everyone, I'm looking for a mid size multitool to take backpacking. I've watched a lot of reviews of the budget options for between $15-30 and have no problems with the quality some of these are putting out for that price. My issue is almost all of them and heavy and bulky.

I'm looking for something around the size of a Leatherman bond, or Gerber mp 400.
I have the Ozark trail $3.88 that's also a good size.
Smallest i want to go is the SOG PowerPint, i might end up getting this one but honestly if I coule find something around $15-$30 I'd be happier.

Here are the tools that are a must: plyers\wire cutter, knife, usable File, can opener, sewing aw, Philips(prefer 3d) and flat head(s) and a saw or serrated blade but prefer the saw.
Prefer locking tools and a pocket clip but that's not a deal breaker.

Offline Hvac budget

Re: Recommendations for a mid size multitool not too bulky.
Reply #1 on: March 01, 2022, 05:30:00 AM

Are you willing to buy used?  If so there are a multitude of great options you can find in that price range if you wait long enough. 

The Leatherman Rebar  is one of the cheaper Leatherman's on the used market. 

If you are looking at brand newmultitools, Gerber's Suspenion NXT is nice but perhaps a little wider than you are looking for. 

On Amazon the A-Xintong company sells a Chinese version of the Wave\Surge  for $25  It is a little heavier but has a lot of value for the price. 

My personal edc carry tools currently are the Leatherman Free P2, The Gerber MP400 with Nite Ize Pocket Clip/Gerber Suspension/ and SOG PowerAccess.  All amazing midsize tools!

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: March 01, 2022, 08:54:26 PM
You can get a new Gerber Suspension at Home Depot for $30.  That's a lot of bang for your buck in a relatively compact package.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: March 04, 2022, 07:59:47 PM
Stretch your budget a bit and get a used Leatherman Rebar. You'll probably go through a few cheap multitools  and spend more in the long run.

us Offline Adam5

Reply #4 on: March 04, 2022, 09:03:37 PM
 :iagree:

You can get a good used Rebar for under $50. You can order a pocket clip for it from Leatherman. That would cover all of your specifications.

The budget options are not bad. I have used several that I like. Some of them even are even better than the Rebar in certain areas. But none of them are as good as the Rebar overall. Also, the best of the budget options aren't really budget options anymore (cost more than $25 now).

us Offline Adam5

Reply #5 on: March 04, 2022, 09:06:19 PM
You can get a new Gerber Suspension at Home Depot for $30.  That's a lot of bang for your buck in a relatively compact package.

The Gerber Suspension NXT is up to $39.97 at Home Depot now.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #6 on: March 07, 2022, 06:36:15 PM
The Gerber Suspension NXT is up to $39.97 at Home Depot now.
The price of everything is going up. They were only $29.97 last time I looked. :facepalm:  They were a good budget option at $30, but for $40 I'd absolutely go with a used Rebar or something else used from ebay or wherever I could find it.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%