Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Climber vs Explorer

us Offline Explorer

• No Life Club
Re: Climber vs Explorer
Reply #30 on: February 21, 2022, 01:42:14 AM
...dangit  :bnghd:

This information Forum does not simplify the daily carry selection process...
Fixed that for you  :whistle:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #31 on: February 21, 2022, 03:46:18 PM
 :iagree:

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #32 on: February 21, 2022, 03:47:53 PM
@KK I picked up a belomo 10X loop.  While the Explorer is and was very nice the dedicated loop is amazing.  Still love the Explorer but the mag glass is more novelty than anything now.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Explorer

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: February 21, 2022, 04:03:51 PM
@KK I picked up a belomo 10X loop.  While the Explorer is and was very nice the dedicated loop is amazing.  Still love the Explorer but the mag glass is more novelty than anything now.
I’ll almost always have a loop on me when I’m out gold or gem prospecting but there are those days when I forget to bring it and then its Explorer mag glass to the rescue! And for some reason I’m always imagining a very unlikely hypothetical situation where I’m relying on that magnifying glass to start a fire to survive. It’s a comforting thought knowing it’s there- lol but I am a weirdo  :P

00 Offline tm3

Reply #34 on: February 21, 2022, 04:13:08 PM
That loupe looks great!  Do you all carry it loose in your pocket?  Would it fit in a pocket organizer?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #35 on: February 21, 2022, 04:16:21 PM
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,85512.msg2161619.html#msg2161619

I agree having the mag glass is really nice considering we'll be carrying a SAK most likely.  When I got my Belomo loop it was specifically to look at jewelry.  It turned out to be MAGnificent for knife tang stamps as well.  While I don't honestly carry it otherwise I make sure to have it on me when I go out for specific reasons.  I did pick up a cheap loop with 15X magnification just to have as a back up. 

The link I provided was my rough attempt to make fire using my different Explorers.  Pretty hard in my very sunny SoCal area.  I love the Explorer thats for sure and with plus scale its even better.  I've been two timing my Explorer plus with my Champ plus. 
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Reply #36 on: February 21, 2022, 04:27:55 PM
I carry an Explorer primarily for the Phillips/Magnifier layer - The Phillips obviously is very useful and, with a SAK as thin as the Explorer, it's far more usable than on the SwissChamp.

However, the magnifier is one of those things that is useless... until you actually have one, at which point it suddenly becomes far more useful than you'd ever expect.
My favourite so far has been shopping with a coin-collecting friend in an antiques shop. Apparently there's something about the newer Pound coins, where certain ones bearing certain dates are worth a notable amount of money. Both friend and the shop staff were going through coins, trying to spot the dates on them, even trying to use their ssmurfy smartphones with zoom cameras... I merely whipped out my Explorer, held the magnifier up like a loupe and there were the dates as clear as day!!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #37 on: February 21, 2022, 04:28:23 PM
That loupe looks great!  Do you all carry it loose in your pocket?  Would it fit in a pocket organizer?

YES.  I carry mine in the purple pouch wrapped in a silver cleaning cloth ( to protect ) and a magnet.  I could also just put in in a pocket.  Pictured is a Maxpedition Micro which would be a good fit as well.   

* IMG_4494.jpg (Filesize: 183.73 KB)

* IMG_4495.jpg (Filesize: 126.34 KB)

* IMG_4496.jpg (Filesize: 179.38 KB)

* IMG_4497.jpg (Filesize: 166.07 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #38 on: February 21, 2022, 04:33:55 PM
Nice use Tasky.  I agree the mag glass is such a nice addition.  I've been a long fan of the Explorer and with plus scales its so much of a terrific tool.  I spoke about a splinter I removed using the pin aided by the mag glass.  It was an essential part of my flea market carry but it was also my regular carry so a win win.  I bought the dedicated loop solely cause I was buying more and more jewelry and wanted a nice loop.  Now the Belomo is my kit for that.  I dropped the Explorer based on nothing more than my Manager seems to cover a lot of bases for most of what I was doing on my off days. 

My Champ covers at home duties.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline hsherzfeld

Reply #39 on: February 21, 2022, 04:41:33 PM
I bought my first Explorer during my pandemic unemployment in anticipation of returning to work and using the magnifying glass on small print on engineering charts and diagrams.

Now that I’m back at work, though, I usually just view documents in pdf form and zoom in as much as I need to. It’s too much hassle (and somewhat wasteful) to print out everything.
Current SAKs: Explorer, SwissChamp, Handyman (modded), Climber, Super Tinker, Tinker, Woodsman (modded), Electrician, Pioneer, SwissTool, Executive, Ambassador, Champion Plus
Current Leatherman tools: PST, Original Wave, Wave, Wave+, Blast, Bond, Curl, Style PS, Micra

Boomer Sooner!

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #40 on: February 21, 2022, 06:30:42 PM
Just finished putting a set of SilverTech scales in an old Explorer I bought some time ago. Awlso got a paracord lanyard and a mini SD added.

8) 8)

I like this new look a lot. So much so, I'm tempted to EDC it (even without the usual 3+ backups). I don't even know who I am anymore...

:facepalm:

* ExplorTech 1.jpg (Filesize: 450.25 KB)

* ExplorTech 2.jpg (Filesize: 418.72 KB)

* ExplorTech 3.jpg (Filesize: 452.45 KB)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 06:37:28 PM by pfrsantos »

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Intorikata

Reply #41 on: February 22, 2022, 01:37:35 AM
That orange lanyard really compliments the silvertech 😎👉👉

us Offline Farmer X

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master of the unexciting
Reply #42 on: February 22, 2022, 05:20:48 AM
I like this new look a lot.
I was on the fence about SilverTech, but your photos pushed me over to liking it. The orange lanyard sets it off really well.
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

us Offline Explorer

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: February 22, 2022, 02:02:08 PM
When I’m out gold prospecting, gem hunting or metal detecting I’m carrying a loupe always around my neck. It would probably fit in a pocket organizer but I need it readily accessible for looking at my finds in the field. Here’s some old German Loupes my favorite and most used being the 12X made by feco. It’s a dandy.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #44 on: February 22, 2022, 05:03:46 PM
 :like:  Very cool. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Explorer

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: February 22, 2022, 06:28:21 PM
Just finished putting a set of SilverTech scales in an old Explorer I bought some time ago. Awlso got a paracord lanyard and a mini SD added.

8) 8)

I like this new look a lot. So much so, I'm tempted to EDC it (even without the usual 3+ backups). I don't even know who I am anymore...

:facepalm:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #46 on: February 24, 2022, 01:55:20 PM
I was on the fence about SilverTech, but your photos pushed me over to liking it. The orange lanyard sets it off really well.
That orange lanyard really compliments the silvertech 😎👉👉

Thanks! I had the scales for some months now. They were meant for a Champion, but this Explorer's scales were in worse condition, so it got them.

The lanyard is not only nice, it's awlso useful. I use it with the hook, to carry heavy bags. I call it the Santos' lanyard. See how it's done here:

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,85617.msg2165684.html#msg2165684

8) 8)

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD