Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Recommend a sub 2" folder

dk Offline Freaver

• Haven't smoked since 17/05-14 7.10 PM - 28/03-16
Recommend a sub 2" folder
on: February 25, 2022, 09:09:04 PM
I feel like I've been scouring the web for an eternity, without getting close to what I want. It might be the pictures not doing justice to the knives or I might just be too picky, but now, I turn to the collective hivemind of MTO, to help me out here.

At the moment, part of my EDC includes a SanRenMu 6011 folder - tiny little thing, with a pocket clip, thumbstud and framelock. The blade is only 1.7" / 4.3 cm long and the entire length is 4.8" / 12.2 cm. It fits perfectly when I'm at work; big enough for what I need (mostly opening boxes and blister packages) and small enough to not be intimidating in front of customers. Honestly, sometimes I feel people are giving me a look, when I pull out a SAK.

Anyhow, I'm looking for something new. The 6011 is still going strong, but change is good. ;) So in a perfect world, it would be something with approx the same size (most importantly a sub 2" blade), a flipper tap would be preferred and a frame lock and a neutral/friendly apperance. As much as I love the tacticool styles, it's just not suited for EDC in my case.

tl;dr - Recommend me a frame-locking folder, with flipper opening and a sub 2" blade with neutral/friendly looks.

Thanks in advance. :D

Image shamelessly "borrowed" from aliexpress.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Recommend a sub 2" folder
Reply #1 on: February 26, 2022, 04:36:39 AM
Kershaw makes several small knives.  The Ember or the Cinder are good examples that might suit you.  I like the Spyderco Dragonfly but it locks on the back rather than with a liner lock. You can also look at "Gentleman's" knives from various manufacturers. They would be the antitheses of a tactical knife, but you never know what might upset some people.

us Offline Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #2 on: February 26, 2022, 05:56:29 AM
Possibly excluding neutral/friendly looks, the Kershaw Chive pushes all the buttons you've listed. The example I have at present time has a liner lock, but some (including the one I lost nearly 20 years ago) have a frame lock. As an additional bonus, it also has a little sliding bar that prevents undesired deployment of the blade. I'd be happy to take some pictures of mine if you'd like.
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

dk Offline Freaver

Reply #3 on: February 26, 2022, 05:41:22 PM
The Ember
Gotta say, this one hits a certain spot with me - it has the looks of a bigger knife, while still being subtle enough that I might actually consider buying it. The only problem is the assisted opening; not really sure how the Danish law operates on that front. I'm pretty sure it would fall under automatics, which are a big no-no. I think I saw something somewhere about disabling the speedsafe system, perhaps by removing a spring or something to that effect?
or the Cinder
Again, speedsafe being an issue. Plus, I'm not really a fan of the whole bottle-opener/pry-bar thingy. But that Ember...  :ahhh

Possibly excluding neutral/friendly looks, the Kershaw Chive pushes all the buttons you've listed.
I actually think it looks alright - I can see why the bladeshape might upset some people, but other than that, it's not too bad. But once again, the assisted opening...  :bnghd:
As an additional bonus, it also has a little sliding bar that prevents undesired deployment of the blade.
Is that a "free flowing" bar, so you have to hold it right side up, in order to deploy the blade or do you have to intentionally push it to one side or the other?

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: February 27, 2022, 02:02:46 AM
Is that a "free flowing" bar, so you have to hold it right side up, in order to deploy the blade or do you have to intentionally push it to one side or the other?

It is not “free flowing”.  You have to manually push it from the locked to unlocked position, or vice versa.  I personally don’t see much value in this little safety, but it can be left in the unlocked position and ignored, or (I haven’t tried but) I think it can be removed entirely.

us Offline Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #5 on: February 27, 2022, 04:04:52 AM
The only problem is the assisted opening; not really sure how the Danish law operates on that front. I'm pretty sure it would fall under automatics, which are a big no-no.
:ahhh That throws a monkeywrench into things. I really hope Danish law doesn't lump assisted opening in with automatics. As far as I'm aware, all flippers have some sort of assist.

It is not “free flowing”.  You have to manually push it from the locked to unlocked position, or vice versa.
Correct. I inspected my Chive earlier today, and it seems as if the safety could be removed if one wished.
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #6 on: February 27, 2022, 08:05:36 AM
May be the clip point blade gives that intimidating feel. I would recommend the Civivi Elementum if you look pass the more than 2" blade length. There are plenty of handle colors to choose from, plus the clip point blade, I think they look friendly and flip really well.

If you insist on sub 2", the Civivi Mini Elementum is also available (I do not have one to say how well it flips).
« Last Edit: February 27, 2022, 08:15:46 AM by chrono »

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: February 27, 2022, 03:53:39 PM
Question from an ignorant American; Does Danish law prohibit a carry knife with over a 2 inch blade???

What pocket knives are popular sellers in Denmark, and why not go with one of them to fly under the radar?
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #8 on: February 27, 2022, 08:16:03 PM
May be the clip point blade gives that intimidating feel. I would recommend the Civivi Elementum if you look pass the more than 2" blade length. There are plenty of handle colors to choose from, plus the clip point blade, I think they look friendly and flip really well.

If you insist on sub 2", the Civivi Mini Elementum is also available (I do not have one to say how well it flips).

I meant drop point blade on the Elementums.

dk Offline Freaver

Reply #9 on: February 27, 2022, 11:21:19 PM
... As far as I'm aware, all flippers have some sort of assist. ...
I think it's a pretty even split - I've seen a lot of flippers without any spring assist - I doubt that ball bearings could be called assisted opening.

I've looked at the Civivis several times, but the Mini Elementum doesn't have a pocket clip. It might be possible to make something that screws in at the back and uses the lanyard hole as an extra anchor point, but I haven't seen anything like that yet.

Question from an ignorant American; Does Danish law prohibit a carry knife with over a 2 inch blade???

What pocket knives are popular sellers in Denmark, and why not go with one of them to fly under the radar?
I wouldn't say ignorant, rather curious. ;) Up until 2016 (I think) the limit was 7 centimeters, 2.75 inches. No one hand opening, no locking. So basically only traditional "gentleman" knives. When they changed the law, the made it both stricter and looser at the same time. I'm not sure there's a length limit anymore, but no matter how big or small the knife is, you have to have a legitimate reason for carrying it. So a SAK in your pocket while at the pub wouldn't go - a multitool on the hip while you're at work or out camping is perfectly fine. The sub 2" part is simply because I like the small blades; it doesn't take much space in/on the pocket, it's plenty big for opening boxes, blister packages and cutting zip ties and rope and small enough to not look dangerous, in a country where a Leatherman Surge would practically be considered a weapon.

I could easily make do with a utility knife, but knives is one of the few things where I prefer form over function.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: February 28, 2022, 12:14:19 PM
There more plenty of folder options if it is just under 3" blade, but for closer to 2", here are a few I own and know:

Spyderco Ladybug(as prev mentioned)--highly recommended, one of the few small knife that is still quite easily operable by one hand, and does offer a full grip despite a small knife.  Man Bug is another close relative to Ladybug, just very minor alteration.

Spyderco Chicago--I don't own this one, but this looks pretty promising.

Cold Steel Mini Tuff Lite--I own the Tuff Lite and it's a great box cutter with a generous full grip.  Mini version probably make it even more compact.

Opinel chestnut knife--like this one for what it is, the claw shape may not be most convenient, but one could always regrind it.

Opinel Oyster knife--I got it awhile ago, the 'blade' is unsharpened since it is meant to shack oyster.  But it is a project I'd like to do sometime in the future.

Svord small--something different, and if you are willing to mod the blade to be smaller, it's pretty awesome.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: February 28, 2022, 04:25:10 PM
I add a few just for fun. 

Sypderco McBee
Kizer Contrail
CIVIVI Ki-V
Cold Steel Mini Tuff Lite
Gerber EAB lite
CIVIVI Mini Elementum
Esse Quam Videri

dk Offline Freaver

Reply #12 on: February 28, 2022, 08:33:42 PM
I see a lot of good options, but not any that really gets me going. I've never heard of the McBee before; it looks great, but once I saw the prize, I closed the tab again.  :whistle:

Comis, you mentioned the Chicago (which, incidentally, was on my Christmas wishlist). You wouldn't happen to own the Cat, would you? Can't remember if it's bigger, smaller or just different from the Chicago, but I do remember that both of them were on the wishlist.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: March 01, 2022, 01:33:45 PM
I see a lot of good options, but not any that really gets me going. I've never heard of the McBee before; it looks great, but once I saw the prize, I closed the tab again.  :whistle:

Comis, you mentioned the Chicago (which, incidentally, was on my Christmas wishlist). You wouldn't happen to own the Cat, would you? Can't remember if it's bigger, smaller or just different from the Chicago, but I do remember that both of them were on the wishlist.
Unfortunately I don't own the Cat, but I personally I probably do prefer that over Chicago since the handle is longer.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: March 01, 2022, 01:46:29 PM
Oh, btw, forgot to mention, I too do own the Spyderco Lil' Native and do really recommend that knife.  One of the smallest compression lock knife, with a good choil and full grip.  Blade length is about 2.25 inch.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: March 01, 2022, 04:36:13 PM
Again a few more not following the guidelines of what you asked for  :facepalm:

Sypderco Roadie.
Spyderco Squeak.
Sypderco Dog Tag.   
Esse Quam Videri

il Offline Shalom

Reply #16 on: May 18, 2022, 08:48:15 AM
This is a bit hard to find but might be worth it. Check out Amazon.de if you're in Europe
Gerber E-Z out Jr
Very lite, Thumb hole One hand opening, Combo blade

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #17 on: May 18, 2022, 01:33:38 PM
I'd say to take a look at Sanrenmu knives. Cheap, reasonable quality steel, large number of models.

Is the frame lock a must? Or can it have a different kind of lock? Liner, for instance, it's pretty close in terms of function/use.

:think: :think:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: May 27, 2022, 05:09:07 PM
Here you go: https://wesn.com/

I have the OG Microblade and it is wonderful quality. Had an issue in the past where a clip broke or something and customer service was good.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%