Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Red Damascus Wakizashi

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
Red Damascus Wakizashi
on: February 28, 2022, 01:32:16 PM
  How good is Red Damascus? It is more of a colorization? Is it as durable as other Chinese made Damascus?
  Doubt one can find a true Japanese made Wakizashi sword that is also affordable to a miscreant like me.  :D

https://www.amazon.com/Handmade-Damascus-Japanese-Samurai-Wakizashi/dp/B082G9QWXL/ref=sr_1_7?crid=Z2SO6O3R7OFA&keywords=Wakizashi+sword+red+damascus&qid=1646051073&sprefix=wakizashi+sword+red+damascus%2Caps%2C160&sr=8-7

Was considering carrying one on the trike as it would not stand out as much yet still allow me to defend an animal attack if need be, and maybe overkill for roadside snacks and fruits off trees. But more for personal protection/carry.

¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Red Damascus Wakizashi
Reply #1 on: February 28, 2022, 04:00:28 PM
Bear spray usually is a good choice for 2 and 4 legged creatures. 

I don't know how good it would be?  I would think it would be more show piece rather than for use.  I base this off nothing other than price.  I'd think cold steel would have something in their catalog  :dunno:.  Neat thats for sure. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Online nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: February 28, 2022, 06:11:34 PM
I tend to agree with Aloha’s assessment:

- I would seriously question not just the quality of this piece, but whether it is even intended for actual use or more for decoration.

- Bear spray is a good option.

A firearm is also a good option, if you can legally carry one, and are (or are willing to become) proficient in its safe use.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #3 on: March 01, 2022, 07:23:59 PM
If you buy one of these and ride around with it the police will be responding to "guy with a sword" calls.  If you really want to defend yourself from dogs you need something long and solid to maintain standoff distance and strike hard when you need to strike. For that I suggest a heavy cane made with defensive use in mind.   https://www.knifecenter.com/item/UC3129/united-cutlery-defense-premium-adjustable-walking-cane-39-overall

However, If you're really all that concerned about dogs or bad people then get a pepper spray or a firearm.  I don't recommend bear spray which sprays in a fog pattern for widest area coverage because it's not direct enough and can be dispersed by the wind.  Get a pepper gel that shoots in a stream up to 20 feet because that tight stream is less affected by the wind and can be used at farther distances.  Best non-lethal combo would be the fighting cane and the pepper gel.

If you just like that Wakizashi, and yes, it really does look nice, then get it as a collectible.  You don't have to justify your purchase with us. :cheers:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: March 01, 2022, 07:49:37 PM
Yes on the spray pattern for Bear Spray.  It certainly gives a wide mist.  Wind direction is always a problem, not being in the right direction that is. 

I have gel and once expired we sprayed it.  We also sprayed the typical ones that come out like hair spray.  If wind is not an issue, when isn't it?  We were accurate to about 10 feet.  We used Saber for both.  I currently carry a spray but its more stream with droplets. 

I wonder how quickly you'll be able to get off your trike and be in "fighting" position with a bladed or blunt instrument?  This is why I suggest pepper spray.  You can have it on your strong side attached by velcro ready to go.  Heck you can have it either strong or weak side for that matter. 

I hope you never are in need of anything and can enjoy your rides but we know all it takes is one unprepared incident. 

Esse Quam Videri

Reply #5 on: March 02, 2022, 04:20:37 AM
  Sorry for late reply since post. Been having sleep issues again.

Seen a cheaper BudK Ronin, comes in either black or tan. Tan shows up well in their advertisement. Amazon has then for $10 more, probably to cover shipping.

I do like the looks of a smaller sword. Have two Samurai/Katana full length swords. Is amazing how cheap the scabbards are on those. Latest one is a Damascus of some sort, did wobble in the wind when stuck in maybe half an inch into a stump. Came sharp for a Chinese version. But I messed up the wrapping on it being nosy, and have to set some time aside to search on how to wrap the bugger for better display.

First one I got was a birthday present from a friend that I bet he bought from BudK, and he used it to cut apples still hanging from a tree. They are nice I guess if one has their own yard, or out camping maybe. Was thinking after the second sword if perhaps the smaller version would be cool to have, and was trying to justify a reason to get one.

When searching online the red Damascus version appeared. Juts did not know if it were an inferior blend to stay away from or what. I apologize for mixing-in the trike comments, as it was a stupid use idea. Gel pepper spray would be better, as I have had experiences with CS & CN mace as a kid, and the blow-back is not cool. Pepper spray could probably be worse. And on that, will be looking into a pepper spray for rides this year. And I do conceal carry a 9mm when in Idaho, as am licensed here. (Have not had to time to take the multi-state course yet, as they are all on Saturdays and that is the heaviest work day. No groups seem to offer the course on a Tuesday or Wednesday.)
¬ Outback in Idaho

Reply #6 on: March 02, 2022, 04:43:07 AM
  Anyhow, reviewed this very long named Chinese sword: "Handmade Sword Japanese Samurai Katana Full Tang 1060/1095 High Carbon Steel Damascus T10 Clay Tempering Battle Ready Cold Real Heat Tempered Sharp Knife" --- Never figured out why the vendors cannot just call it something SHORTER! :ahhh

Was taking photos of the sword on a large rock. Stuck it in this stump and the wind was rocking it when I was taking photos, and was below freezing. When I went to take a short video the sword stopped rocking, so gave it a small tap on the pommel.
  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aC1pLEkDvdc
¬ Outback in Idaho

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: March 02, 2022, 03:43:49 PM
 :tu:

I cannot really say much about these.  If only for fooling around and display why the heck not. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Online nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: March 03, 2022, 04:34:10 AM
  Sorry for late reply since post. Been having sleep issues again.

Seen a cheaper BudK Ronin, comes in either black or tan. Tan shows up well in their advertisement. Amazon has then for $10 more, probably to cover shipping.
  (Image removed from quote.)
And I do conceal carry a 9mm when in Idaho, as am licensed here. (Have not had to time to take the multi-state course yet, as they are all on Saturdays and that is the heaviest work day. No groups seem to offer the course on a Tuesday or Wednesday.)

Depending on what other states you visit, you may find that they either recognize your existing Idaho permit, or have permitless carry.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%