Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Seeking pouch recommendations

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Re: Seeking pouch recommendations
Reply #30 on: April 01, 2022, 11:04:53 AM
One thing I didn't mention previously is my adherence to that old saying: a place for everything and everything in its place. My initial thought was that it would be good to keep the things originally mentioned in a pouch, and that would be their place. I can now see that my thinking wasn't entirely sound.

The idea of having a single unit that holds everything and easily transfers to different outfits is perfectly sound.
The difficulty comes in finding one that works well enough to be practical, and effective regardless of the outfit.

You're now on the flip side of that, in that where you carry everythingand what individual components comprise 'everything' will vary depending on what you're wearing and how many pockets you have.
I love my 11-pocket trousers, but my typical EDC is absolutely stuffed if I have to wear basic boring jeans or something. Micro-EDC and a prayer that nothing drastic happens!

us Offline Farmer X

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master of the unexciting
Reply #31 on: April 02, 2022, 05:32:30 AM
My typical EDC is absolutely stuffed if I have to wear basic boring jeans or something.
My longtime favorite jeans have been discontinued, and jeans typically only have one or two pockets in which I'd be willing to place a knife or a multi. Unless tactical pants look too "militant" and khakis too dressy, I couldn't go back to jeans!
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #32 on: April 02, 2022, 06:31:10 AM
I did like the pouch I carried in the batman challenge. I'd never really belt carried before, and for the most part I still prefer pocket carry but a belt pouch can be comfortable and convenient.  The problem with having room for a lot of stuff is the tendency to fill all those pockets and actually carry a lot of stuff.  Cargo pockets or pouches, the weight difference when I take my shorts off is between 7 and 10 pounds.  I may have a problem.  :think::dunno:
 :climber:

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: April 02, 2022, 08:00:10 AM
Being a city boy 90% of the time, I prefer hand bag carry (5.11 LV6 for instance)
It allows to carry whatever is wanted/needed, without shouting around "I AM A MTo MEMBER, LOOK AT MY GEAR"
Change, ID cards and papers, knife and little flashlight are in the trousers pocket (I have a lot of trouble finding trousers that use "jeans style" side pockets)
Tools, backup flashlight, pens, spares face masks, meds, and all the geeky stuff are in the LV6, smartphone included.

Pros: never forget gear as you just have to take the handbag with you regardless the coat, jacket, whatever.
It can also be stuffed in a bigger bag if needed.
Looks like a standard handbag/manbag, not a tactical gear pouch.

Cons: a lot bigger than a pouch, you may need to "un-carry" it for some work has it adds bulk

gb Offline Tasky

Reply #34 on: April 02, 2022, 08:31:33 AM
My longtime favorite jeans have been discontinued, and jeans typically only have one or two pockets in which I'd be willing to place a knife or a multi. Unless tactical pants look too "militant" and khakis too dressy, I couldn't go back to jeans!
This is why you find some tactical jeans, or in my case a pair of relaxed casual chino-type trousers with lots of discrete pockets!

Pentagon, Helikon-Tex, Condor, Proper and First Tactical are all lower-mid range brands (in terms of both price and quality) who make pretty decent 'casual' look kit.

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: April 02, 2022, 09:20:09 AM
This is why you find some tactical jeans, or in my case a pair of relaxed casual chino-type trousers with lots of discrete pockets!

Pentagon, Helikon-Tex, Condor, Proper and First Tactical are all lower-mid range brands (in terms of both price and quality) who make pretty decent 'casual' look kit.

Yeah I think the Greyman jeans from Helikon-Tex would probably suit Farmer's needs nicely
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

gb Offline Tasky

Reply #36 on: April 02, 2022, 09:50:29 AM
Yeah I think the Greyman jeans from Helikon-Tex would probably suit Farmer's needs nicely
IIRC, I have some Pentagon Rogue jeans in a sort-of greyish grenish kinda colour. They're actually quite tight, yet you can still get a fair bit in the pockets, including a Galaxy S21.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #37 on: April 03, 2022, 04:34:38 AM
I like the Duluth Fire Hose cargo shorts and pants.  They have more pockets than I can use.  There's even a hidden pocket on the inside that I didn't know was there until I'd worn them for a week. :whistle:

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #38 on: April 03, 2022, 05:58:04 AM
After getting very used to my current pants (Tru-Spec 24/7), I'd need to see any potential supplementary or replacement pants in person before committing to them. The Tru-Spec 24/7 fill my needs and desires quite well. But then again, I never have any need to wear any other sort of attire anymore...
USN 2000-2006

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #39 on: April 05, 2022, 12:01:00 AM

us Offline Adam5

Reply #40 on: April 05, 2022, 03:40:00 AM
Since it wasn't in stock, I bought a Maxpedition and a Viperade. While I think I would like the Leatherman pouch better, I can't see how I can justify buying it at this time.
:shrug:

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: April 05, 2022, 03:47:02 AM
Since it wasn't in stock, I bought a Maxpedition and a Viperade. While I think I would like the Leatherman pouch better, I can't see how I can justify buying it at this time.
:shrug:

Wouldn't a pouch comparison thread look so good in your signature?

Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #42 on: April 05, 2022, 05:43:36 AM
 :iagree:

I've also noticed that the Leatherman pouch is back in stock. It's been bumped down a few clicks on the priority list, though.
USN 2000-2006

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #43 on: April 05, 2022, 10:34:44 PM
I didn't see that the Leatherman pouch has belt loops. :dunno:  It says it can hang from snap clips, but that's not really the same thing as having belt loops or MOLLE attachments that goes directly on your belt. :pok:

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: April 05, 2022, 10:51:14 PM
I didn't see that the Leatherman pouch has belt loops. :dunno:  It says it can hang from snap clips, but that's not really the same thing as having belt loops or MOLLE attachments that goes directly on your belt. :pok:

I think the orientation of the MOLLE on the back lets you use it for belt loops of varying height  :think:

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #45 on: April 06, 2022, 02:11:29 AM
GearedForwards is correct. Powernoodle showed a photo of the back in this post.
USN 2000-2006

us Offline Adam5

Reply #46 on: April 06, 2022, 03:51:33 AM
Wouldn't a pouch comparison thread look so good in your signature?

It would! But it wouldn't impress my wife very much    :ahhh

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: April 07, 2022, 10:10:09 AM
It would! But it wouldn't impress my wife very much (Image removed from quote.)   :ahhh
We all know that feeling  :facepalm: (even when she/he is quite tolerant about all this)

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #48 on: April 08, 2022, 02:02:35 AM
Thanks to the generosity of Alan K, I now have a pouch to try out! Neither he nor I could find any identifying marks on it, but it looks pretty well suitable for use on a camping trip. It may awlso get put through the rigors of urban carry. I'll enjoy putting it through its paces!

Pioneer And Pouch.jpg
* Pioneer And Pouch.jpg (Filesize: 156.33 KB)

USN 2000-2006

us Offline mashguy4077

Reply #49 on: April 09, 2022, 03:58:38 AM
Thanks to the generosity of Alan K, I now have a pouch to try out! Neither he nor I could find any identifying marks on it, but it looks pretty well suitable for use on a camping trip. It may awlso get put through the rigors of urban carry. I'll enjoy putting it through its paces!

[ Quoting of attachment images from other messages is not allowed ]

I think it’s this pouch from CountyComm.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #50 on: May 05, 2022, 06:33:55 PM
I know it hasn't been terrible long time but hows the pouch? 
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline Grand_Banana

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: December 09, 2022, 05:08:41 PM
I know this thread is a tad old, but thought I would throw a pouch rec into the mix. 

I’ve been using this gentlestache pouch I got off Amazon now for a while. It sits down in a work bag. I can carry everything for my Wave kit a bit packed in.

Or I can rearrange if I’m carrying the wave on my belt.

I know it doesn’t exactly fit the requested parameters, but it’s functional and convenient for my needs.

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #52 on: December 11, 2022, 05:54:19 AM
Looks like a good size to slip into a pocket. How thick is it when fully loaded?
USN 2000-2006

00 Offline Grand_Banana

• No Life Club
Reply #53 on: December 12, 2022, 04:16:05 PM
Looks like a good size to slip into a pocket. How thick is it when fully loaded?

About 4cm depth in the config without Wave

And about 5cm depth with the Wave

Measurement angles aren’t perfect in the pics, but you get the idea.

It’s pocketable if not overstuffed, like it is in the second pic.

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #54 on: December 13, 2022, 12:42:17 AM
looks like it could be a really good option. Thanks for getting the measurements! :cheers:
USN 2000-2006

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #55 on: December 13, 2022, 01:48:07 AM
You still looking for that perfect pouch?
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #56 on: December 13, 2022, 06:06:25 PM
Aren't we all?  :whistle:

I've seen some great little pouches from a variety of makers and price points.  I have enjoyed my Maxpedition Micro quite a lot.  I have 2, one in black and one in khaki.  I dont put them in my pocket tho.  I clip them to my belt because no matter how little I put in them they ( for me ) are still too bulky. 

There are quite a few great little pouches including the one shown above.  Its so hard to determine how it'll work till you get one.  At least thats how it works for me. 

Skinth is nice, but if I'm going to put something on my belt I wanted a little more space which completely defeats the idea of a skinth. 
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline Grand_Banana

• No Life Club
Reply #57 on: December 13, 2022, 07:46:49 PM

I've seen some great little pouches from a variety of makers and price points.  I have enjoyed my Maxpedition Micro quite a lot.  I have 2, one in black and one in khaki.  I dont put them in my pocket tho.  I clip them to my belt because no matter how little I put in them they ( for me ) are still too bulky. 

There are quite a few great little pouches including the one shown above.  Its so hard to determine how it'll work till you get one.  At least thats how it works for me. 

Skinth is nice, but if I'm going to put something on my belt I wanted a little more space which completely defeats the idea of a skinth.

Same for me with the micro. I reserve those now for small hand tools, med kits, or survival/fire kit.  That smaller style ones I posted above is better for me for the multitool load out and fits in a cargo pocket or larger front pocket or back pocket. It barely fits into jeans back pockets. It works best when not overstuffed, which I prefer as I like to keep my Wave in a pocket or in a sheath.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #58 on: December 13, 2022, 08:09:45 PM
Same here, this is a very old pic, you can see the duct tape wrapped around a fake credit card, the small flat bar, and few mini zip ties, but in the one tube is both tums and ibuprofen, the mini tube which used to be a pen holds wooden toothpicks, there’s a few sanitation wipes. Now that pack sits in a shoulder bag, there’s another mini pouch which is strapped to the side of the bag via molle, but on the pouch is a patch with a big [+] and it has all the medical supplies in it, thus why it’s on the outside for easy access,,
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Sos24

Reply #59 on: December 13, 2022, 09:01:26 PM
You still looking for that perfect pouch?
JR

:agree:

I’ve experimented with various different pouches and always continue to look for the better fit. 

I have at least discovered one I really like for cargo pocket carry.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%