Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Jack knife pattern - out of date?

Shuya · 22 · 1480

de Offline Shuya

The Jack knife pattern - out of date?
on: January 31, 2022, 01:43:52 PM
Hi folks,

during some time with more and more traditional knifes I came to the point that the pattern of two blades, one small, one large, on the same side, is what I would consider the best option for me.

I already have the Case Peanut, Case Medium Texas Jack and the Case Barlow in that pattern.

But I have hard times finding some larger models made today. Missed out the Case Copperhead because in this size I already own the texas jack.
Old knives or catalogs show a vast amount of knives in this pattern, with the Mainblade in Clippoint, sheepfoot, spearpoint, and the smaller blades also sometimes in sheepfoot or spearpoint.

Now, I dont see anything of these left, when looking for a larger knive of lets say the size of a full size trapper (4inch or 100mm closed).

Is there something I missed? Or is this pattern mostly gone today?

At the moment I just consider buying a full size trapper and let a knifemaker cut the second blade (skinner) cut into a half length sheepfood.

Michael

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: The Jack knife pattern - out of date?
Reply #1 on: January 31, 2022, 02:03:49 PM
I don't think the pattern is out of date but there are fewer options and makers of slipjoints in general compared to the old days.   :-\

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: January 31, 2022, 03:17:07 PM
I don't think the pattern is out of date but there are fewer options and makers of slipjoints in general compared to the old days.   :-\

:iagree:  The Schrade Walden 294 pops up on the bay once in a while. You dont need a knifemaker to cut down the spey blade to a sheepfoot. You can do it with files.
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #3 on: January 31, 2022, 03:50:27 PM
I'd really like one to go along with my 4.5 inch stockman's, though not at the same time.
Addicted to sharp pointy things.

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 31, 2022, 04:34:19 PM

Yeah, pretty much this. The old slip joint has faded tot he very back these days. Now its all about the whiz bang tactical folder with a blade that can stab car doors and a lock that you can hang a Brinks armored car from. It sounds like you have a nice sample of the breed, with the peanut, Texas jack, and Barlow. As a point of fact of history, there was a book by Harold Peterson, called American Knives, and it was all the patterns of knives used in America from the early colonial days on. According to the old records he had in his book, the Barlow as made by the John Russell company, was the most popular knives shipped and sold out west from trading posts to town stores to mail order. From 1850's to the 1880's, the Barlow was the king of pocket knifes.

Slip a Barlow in your pocket and you're in good company with cowboy trial hands, soldiers, trappers, freight wagon drivers, stage coach drivers, store keepers, sheriff's, and outlaws.  :D
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: January 31, 2022, 04:59:09 PM
I buy all my trads previously owned.  I picked up these that seem to satisfy what your interest is.  The Barlow is one that I was not liking initially till I handled one.  Its a great pattern with a few flavors to choose from, large blade wise.  My Pemberton continues to dominate pocket time tho. 

* IMG_4386.jpg (Filesize: 149.19 KB)

* IMG_4387.jpg (Filesize: 179.64 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline GA1dad

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: February 05, 2022, 03:08:20 AM
I buy all my trads previously owned.  I picked up these that seem to satisfy what your interest is.  The Barlow is one that I was not liking initially till I handled one.  Its a great pattern with a few flavors to choose from, large blade wise.  My Pemberton continues to dominate pocket time tho.

:like:
Jason - N4RBZ- A Harley can get you through times of no money better than money can get you through times of no Harley____O~`o__

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: February 05, 2022, 04:29:08 PM
A couple of Jacks

20220205_091451.jpg
* 20220205_091451.jpg (Filesize: 365.53 KB)

us Offline Spartan19

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: March 17, 2022, 04:40:15 PM
Great blades Steve!  :like: if you look on ebay every once in a while, remington made a bigger sized jack knife for the bullet knife series, I think it was either in the mid 90s or early 2000s
Send In the spartans

us Offline Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #9 on: March 17, 2022, 08:00:51 PM
One of my favorite jack patterns is the Camillus 23. Too big for me to carry (says the dumbsmurf city I live in), but it meets the OP's requirements. They can get pretty pricey, though. I can't remember what pattern number Camillus assigned to the smaller equal end jack.
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

us Offline David

Reply #10 on: March 18, 2022, 12:27:00 PM
One of my favorite jack patterns is the Camillus 23. Too big for me to carry (says the dumbsmurf city I live in), but it meets the OP's requirements. They can get pretty pricey, though. I can't remember what pattern number Camillus assigned to the smaller equal end jack.

The Camillus 52 is a nice mid sized EE Jack if you can find one. They were only made for a short period of time.
Hold Fast

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: March 18, 2022, 01:02:12 PM
The Camillus 52 is a nice mid sized EE Jack if you can find one. They were only made for a short period of time.

What years did they make it ?

us Offline Spartan19

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: March 18, 2022, 02:06:55 PM
Another favorite of mine is the case Texas jack. Just a little bigger than a penut, which makes it perfect in the hand
Send In the spartans

us Offline David

Reply #13 on: March 19, 2022, 01:04:56 AM
What years did they make it ?

I dont know Steve. I dont remember seeing it or the 53 on any catalog. The examples I have has a long line tang stamps and that black synthetic cover they used in the 50's. It and the 53 seldom pop up. Here's a pic of the 52 and the 53.

* IMG_1153.jpg (Filesize: 48.19 KB)

* IMG_1155.jpg (Filesize: 54.83 KB)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2022, 01:11:50 AM by David »
Hold Fast

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: March 19, 2022, 04:50:36 AM
Thanks for the info and nice pair you got there ! :tu:

us Offline Spartan19

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: March 19, 2022, 02:24:25 PM
This is one I don't carry very often, as far as I know the black delrin scales are the only ones available with this pattern from case the Texas jack, pretty much a heavy duty penut

* IMG_20220319_092146.jpg (Filesize: 198.57 KB)
Send In the spartans

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #16 on: March 19, 2022, 11:08:26 PM
What's the pattern number on that jack? Case has released the small center swell jack from the vault this year; I'm thinking I may try one of those, too.
USN 2000-2006

us Online nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: March 20, 2022, 03:59:50 AM
What's the pattern number on that jack?

I believe it’s 087.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: March 21, 2022, 10:18:59 AM
It just looks that way in comparison to locking knives, but there so many slipjoints available from so many brands from large to tiny. Slipjoints are still in high demand, especially in Europe (due to laws restricting knives).

That said, while the pattern is not out of date, the overall package is in trouble, especially from the traditional manufacturer of traditional knives. Knife market is a though business, with quality increasing and prices dropping.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #19 on: March 21, 2022, 02:29:56 PM
Knife market is a though business, with quality increasing and prices dropping.
I've not seen a lot of that. Granted, there aren't many brands that I actively follow, but one in particular (Victorinox) has made some pretty substantial price increases over the past six months or so. Case seems to be holding more or less steady.
USN 2000-2006

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: March 29, 2022, 12:02:23 AM
I've not seen a lot of that. Granted, there aren't many brands that I actively follow, but one in particular (Victorinox) has made some pretty substantial price increases over the past six months or so. Case seems to be holding more or less steady.
Well, the dollar has not been doing so well...

That said, you can get a M390 knives for less than $100 (e.g. GiantMouse ACE Iona) or a titanium frame-lock flipper in S35VN, also for less than $100 (Ontario Ti22 Equinox).
No chance you would have gotten that kind of materials / quality / fit and finish 10-15 years ago.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #21 on: March 29, 2022, 06:02:59 AM
True enough. Frankly, I'm amazed one can still get a good quality, American-made knife for less than $50!
USN 2000-2006

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%