Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New OPT--Chonk

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
New OPT--Chonk
on: March 24, 2022, 12:16:17 AM
Looks like Gerber has a new OPT out, called the "Chonk". Appears to be a quick thick, 4" long prybar with a pocket clip, bottle opener, and two drivers built into the tip of the prybar (which, due to the end being rounded for pocket-friendliness are likely useless)

https://www.gerbergear.com/en-us/shop/featured/spring-collection/chonk-micarta-30-001923

I will likely try this one, MSRP is $25, and that should mean a little less than $20 street price. It is priced WELL under small run custom prybars with similar features. However, I would have preferred extra features instead of the key attachment point hole in the middle.  I think a 1/4" hex hole is absolutely mandatory with this type of tool--of course, that's due to being so used to the PocketWrench II as my go-to OPT.

pr Offline Juan el Boricua

• No Life Club
Re: New OPT--Chonk
Reply #1 on: March 26, 2022, 10:02:07 PM
Thanks for the heads-up, cody!  :tu:

us Offline algernonramone

Reply #2 on: March 27, 2022, 04:19:48 AM
I like it, will get one in micarta if the price is right.

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #3 on: April 02, 2022, 03:33:00 PM
I kinda like this. Looks beefy and the scale ought to help with comfort. I kinda wish they would have incorporated the wrench from the old Pocketwrench tool - I give Gerber permission to steal that intellectual property since they refuse to do anything with it 😂 jk

Goofy, gen-Z name, though 👎🏻
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #4 on: May 18, 2022, 02:38:13 AM
Anyone have a Chonk yet?  If so, let's hear your comments about it. 
Thanks.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline Rich_SD

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 18, 2022, 03:39:44 AM
I have one.  It seems nice, but I'll probably never use it.  To me, pocket prybars like this are stuck with an unwinnable design problem - they need to have rounded edges so you can carry them in your pocket, but the rounded edges makes them very mediocre for prying.

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: May 20, 2022, 06:38:50 PM
Looks interesting enough. For that price I'll probably grab one just to check it out.  :tu:
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #7 on: May 22, 2022, 06:50:18 PM
I have one.  It seems nice, but I'll probably never use it.  To me, pocket prybars like this are stuck with an unwinnable design problem - they need to have rounded edges so you can carry them in your pocket, but the rounded edges makes them very mediocre for prying.

Thanks for the feedback.  I sharpened the edges on the Gerber Artifact.  I cover the tips of some of my sharp pry tools to avoid pocket damage.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #8 on: August 04, 2023, 06:06:49 PM
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: August 04, 2023, 09:19:31 PM
Geber Shard XL now with (by my count) one less function than the original!

Can't blame them for wanting to associate it with the Shard, but losing the pointy Phillips is a tough pill.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%