Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wenger Backpacks

00 Offline Jmoita

Wenger Backpacks
on: March 31, 2022, 12:49:27 AM
Hello fellow members..
I'm considering buying a Wenger Carbon for carrying my work stuff (laptop, books, food, some small extras).
It seems to be the best backpack under the 100€ mark with the very good organization design.
But I've also read some opinions that in the last few years the brand lost some of its quality.
So:
1) any users of wenger Backpacks can give me some feedback?
2) what about other backpacks?

Thank you

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Re: Wenger Backpacks
Reply #1 on: March 31, 2022, 02:00:02 AM
No Wengers for me yet, but just to get the thread rolling and throw some options out there my backpacks are the Go-Ruck GR0 (a now discontinued, smaller GR1) and the Peak Design Everyday backpack.

The first is incredibly sturdy with some, but not a lot, of organisation options. The latter is crammed to the brim with organisation and ways to carry various things.

I'm not sure how helpful that is as I don't know the price of either off the top of my head, but hopefully it helps a little  :tu:
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Reply #2 on: April 05, 2022, 11:27:58 AM
2) what about other backpacks?
Can't help you on the Wenger, personally.
I will say that it appears to sit a little awkwardly on reviewers' shoulders, which could be a deal-breaker with a heavy laptop/office loadout.
It also *looks* very much like a laptop bag, which to me makes it a thief-magnet.

For the work laptop and general EDC I currently favour the Rush MOAB 10 slingpack from 5.11 Tactical - 18 litres with a strap that swaps sides, loads of PALS, large organiser front pocket, spacious main compartment, plenty of extra little spaces and loads of other cool features.

One massive downside is that it's so very, very easy to overload, which really weighs down on a single strap... which I understand is what led to them making the Rush12 backpack.
https://www.511tactical.com/rush12-2-0-backpack.html
This is basically the same thing, but a bit larger and with two shoulder straps instead of one (also has points for belt attachment, but none included). Various colours available, with loads of options to make it *not* look like you're carrying a valuable laptop!

Price is $100 on the US site, but can be found for £70 in the UK, so probably about the same in Euros. If this had been available when I bought the MOAB, I'd likely have gotten the 12 instead!

00 Offline Jmoita

Reply #3 on: April 07, 2022, 07:02:47 AM

Ended up with this for 35€. Nice quality, 23l, fits 15 inch laptop. Nice organization.

us Offline Farmer X

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master of the unexciting
Reply #4 on: April 08, 2022, 01:42:26 AM
Looks like quite a nice backpack.

I have a Wenger binder. Though it's incredibly dirty, it could be pressed back into service with no issues. It's very well-made and nicely thought out. Assuming their backpacks are as good as that binder, I'd have no problem buying ine.
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 17, 2022, 02:05:38 AM
I had a rather basic model from Sam's Club my folks bought me shortly after I got my first laptop. It lasted ten years (and I still keep it around, even though the zipper doesn't always work), even overloaded with textbooks and other stuff. Not bad for a $15 backpack.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%