Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Cleaning and repairing a 2nd Gen Wave

us Offline Adam5

• Absolutely No Life Club
Cleaning and repairing a 2nd Gen Wave
on: April 06, 2022, 03:34:50 AM
This thread is intended to be somewhat of a guide for working on a Wave

I have a 2nd generation Wave that was in poor to fair shape. It was dirty, the plier tips were broken, the serrated blade was worn out, the edge of the PE blade was in rough shape, and eye glasses bit was broken.

I could have sent it in to Leatherman and probably received a Wave+. But I already have a Wave+, and I had the cap crimper plier head from a Charge ALX that I made into a couple of knives. Not to mention a number of leftover parts from other mods. So, I decided to rehabilitate the 2nd gen Wave instead of  sending it in.

First, I soaked the MT overnight in soapy water. Then I set about disassembling the MT so I could deal with the rust I saw in the handle and so I could swap out some of the parts. Here are the tools I used (tweezers, 2 screwdrivers with T10 security Torx bits, and pliers):

I also used a propane torch to heat up the pivot screws so that the Loctite (helps to keep the screws from loosening) would soften. Many people use an soldering iron for the same purpose. I took care not to overheat the metal, which would cause it to discolor.

Then I removed the pivot screws that hold the plier head and outer tools to the handle:

Note that there are phosphor bronze washers between the outer tools and the frame:

This is what you should have once the plier head and outer tools are disassembled:

Next, I disassembled the inside tools from the handle. Once again, I used my propane torch to soften the Loctite. Some care must be taken when removing these screws. The half that forms the pivot bolt is flattened on opposite sides. The interior hole of the washers that go between the tools match the bolts.

This arrangement restricts the bolt half from rotating. Forcing it to rotate will make it hard to remove the bolt. Therefore, locate the half with the exterior threads. They are on the sides with the saw and the file.

Here are the parts after disassembly:

I soaked all the part in Rust-Oleum Rust Dissolver for approximately 45 minutes. Then I rinsed all of the parts well and used a nylon brush in my rotary tool to remove any stubborn spots and grime.

Then I used 320, 400, and 600 grit sand paper to remove most of the scratches from the frame.

As I mention in the beginning, the serrated blade was worn out. So I took a serrated blade from one of several Ozark Trail Multiforces I have dissaembled/modified and slightly modified it so that it would work in the Wave frame. Then I started reassembly using the cap crimper plier head:

At this point I took some time to work on the esge of the PE blade. Using the 80, 200, and 6000 grit belts for my WorkSharp sharpener, I was able to remove all of the chips and make the blade sharp.

Finally, I reassembled the tools in the other ends of the handles, using the tweezers to manipulate the fitted washers onto the pivot screw bolt:

There are 3 fitted washers total. They go between each pair of tools.

Once reassembled, I adjusted the tightness of the pivot screws so that all tools could be extracted but would not flop open.

And here is the Wave completely reassembled:

pr Offline Juan el Boricua

• No Life Club
Re: Cleaning and repairing a 2nd Gen Wave
Reply #1 on: April 06, 2022, 04:00:17 AM
Awesome resto/mod job, Adam. Looks really good and, you're not "far from the truth"; if I remember correctly, there was a CC pliers head in the 2nd. Gen. Wave!!!  :tu: :cheers:

Just in case, you can grind down the tips from the OG pliers head even, and make a "pseudo blunt nose head"... :whistle:

Ooopsss, almost forgot! Thank you for the step by step and pictures. :2tu:

us Offline Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #2 on: April 06, 2022, 05:11:27 AM
Nice job saving it! :like:
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

Offline bobartig

Reply #3 on: April 06, 2022, 05:31:56 AM
Nice restore job! Also, you can grind the tips off the pliers to turn them into snub-nosed ones so long as the pivot is in good shape. Any more info on how you modded the Ozark blade into the Wave? Might be a good option for people who need a replacement part.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2022, 05:38:34 AM by bobartig »

us Offline Rich_SD

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 06, 2022, 05:37:45 AM
Awesome job and guide!  :tu:  :like:  :like: 

us Online SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: April 06, 2022, 05:50:40 AM
 :iagree: :tu:

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #6 on: April 06, 2022, 05:59:35 AM
Nice job! I have one with a worn serrated blade too, I've been meaning to need to sharpen it...

Just in case, you can grind down the tips from the OG pliers head even, and make a "pseudo blunt nose head"... :whistle:
That's what I would have done.  ;)
But then I wouldn't have had a spare plier head.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2022, 06:51:24 AM by Syncop8r »

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: April 06, 2022, 02:47:49 PM
A very awesome step by step, Adam :woohoo: :like:

I love being able to rehab a tool like this and when it comes out great it makes all the effort that much better :salute:

Very excellent job on the 2nd generation Wave 8) looks almost new again :like:

us Offline Adam5

Reply #8 on: April 06, 2022, 03:57:47 PM
Awesome resto/mod job, Adam. Looks really good and, you're not "far from the truth"; if I remember correctly, there was a CC pliers head in the 2nd. Gen. Wave!!!  :tu: :cheers:

Ooopsss, almost forgot! Thank you for the step by step and pictures. :2tu:

Thanks Juan  :cheers:

Reshaping the plier head will definitely occur at some point.

I bought the MT for a good price just to have something to work on, and then left them sitting to the side for awhile. Making use of the cap crimper pliers was the impetus for starting the project.

us Offline Adam5

us Offline Adam5

Reply #10 on: April 06, 2022, 04:22:57 PM
Nice restore job! Also, you can grind the tips off the pliers to turn them into snub-nosed ones so long as the pivot is in good shape. Any more info on how you modded the Ozark blade into the Wave? Might be a good option for people who need a replacement part.

Thanks!

As you can see in the photo, the Wave SE blade (upper) and the Multiforce SE blade (lower) are very similar:

However, the pivot hole for the Multiforce is 3/16" and the Wave is 7/32". So the Multiforce pivot hole has to be enlarged. It is hard steel, so a carbide or cobalt drill bit is needed.

Both MTs use the frame to act as a stop when the SE blades are opened. However, the point where that occurs is different:

Multiforce is the upper MT

I had to cut out the extraneous metal with my rotary tool:

The Wave SE is on top

us Offline Adam5

us Offline Adam5

Reply #12 on: April 06, 2022, 04:28:22 PM
Nice job! I have one with a worn serrated blade too, I've been meaning to need to sharpen it...
That's what I would have done.  ;)
But then I wouldn't have had a spare plier head.

Thanks  :cheers:

I can literally rub my thumb with force across the serrated edge and not break skin. Sharpening it seemed to be more work than replacing it.

us Offline Adam5

Reply #13 on: April 06, 2022, 04:40:12 PM
A very awesome step by step, Adam :woohoo: :like:

I love being able to rehab a tool like this and when it comes out great it makes all the effort that much better :salute:

Very excellent job on the 2nd generation Wave 8) looks almost new again :like:

Thank you sir  :hatsoff:  :cheers:

It seem to compare fairly well with my other 2nd gen, which was in much better shape:

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: April 06, 2022, 04:45:35 PM
Great job Adam saving a MT. One of the most detailed pictorials I have seen. Reference material for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: April 06, 2022, 08:55:25 PM

us Offline Adam5

Reply #16 on: April 06, 2022, 10:17:06 PM
Thanks rishardh and Stitchy  :cheers:
« Last Edit: April 06, 2022, 10:26:02 PM by Adam5 »