Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What's your favorite scale colour?

sawman · 76 · 8604

us Offline twiliter

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • motionless wheel, nothing is real
Re: What's your favorite scale colour?
Reply #60 on: April 24, 2014, 02:50:59 PM
Yeah know... this is a very interesting question.  As most people here probably know, I like to collect colors.  I've got all 32 cellidor colors of 58mm, I've got about a dozen different alox colors in 58mm.  I'm starting to increase my collection of 91mm colors.

Yet at the same time I've got more red knives than all the other colors put together.  Furthermore, I've only ever carried a red SAK (well... including translucent red).  And as I think about it more, I'm not sure I'd ever want to carry anything other than red.  I'm probably being a SAK snob, but I guess if I'm pulling out my knife I want people to see that I've got a SAK... and SAKs are red, right?  At least that's what most people associate with SAK.

I feel a little bad admitting that cause it's totally snobbish, but as I examine my feelings, that seems to be my motivation.  Ugh... now I almost feel like I have to apologize to Starbucks and Macintosh fans.

I'm with you on this. Most of my carry SAK's are red, as are most in my collection. I do like black ones too, but I prefer to 'be seen' with something identifiable as a SAK, which for most folks means red. The function of the original red color is an interesting story too, I'd never find a white scaled one in the snow. I don't think it's snobbish so much as pride in my choice of a quality companion.  :tu:

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #61 on: April 25, 2014, 12:01:37 AM
Forgot alox colors, gold and apocalypse green.

111mm's, RT gray/black, black.

While I'm at it, for cellidor other than red, hunter green and black.

:salute:

si Offline Mitch-O

• Mitch-O
Reply #62 on: February 15, 2023, 07:49:00 PM
Re-animation of an old topic...

My wife wants to get me a new SAK. So I was thinking to get something different... like a different color. Red rules the SAK but I was looking for a black outrider or a climber camo. What are your experiences with these colors regarding the durability?

us Offline Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #63 on: February 16, 2023, 08:56:04 AM
I'll share a little experience with scale durability...

Anything printed will show wear with use. I tend to not carry anything printed (such as American flag and camo) for that very reason. Black usually holds up well over time. White is another one I tend to avoid, as it takes on a very dingy and unappealing look with use and carry. One of the ugliest SAKs I own is a Rally whose white scales have worn printed logos.

Truthfully, I'm good on carrier SAKs for now. Any future carrier SAKs will likely be Alox or get their Cellidor scales replaced with Micarta.
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #64 on: February 16, 2023, 03:15:33 PM
Surprised how little Alox has been brought up.

By far my favorite like this.

Or even better something like this.

The more I use em the better they look. Can’t say the same for Celidor.

That said some translucent isn’t the ugliest thing I’ll see today.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #65 on: February 16, 2023, 03:27:40 PM
Yeah right there! Just like this one! Or my everyday..
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #66 on: February 16, 2023, 03:40:12 PM
Alox colors.
Seems that Victorinox doesn't like anything but silver for users in the US.  I'm referring to MiniChamps, mostly.  If I'm lucky enough to see a red Alox MiniChamp, on the eBay, it's gonna be listed for more than double than silver.
Addicted to sharp pointy things.

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #67 on: February 16, 2023, 03:48:24 PM
Seems that Victorinox doesn't like anything but silver for users in the US.  I'm referring to MiniChamps, mostly.
Yep. They reserve the spiffy colors for the Classic SD. :rant:
USN 2000-2006

us Offline Explorer

• No Life Club
Reply #68 on: February 16, 2023, 04:52:41 PM
JR
That’s a beauty of a red Farmer X JR   :hatsoff:
Did you pick that up at knife center?
 :cheers:

us Offline Explorer

• No Life Club
Reply #69 on: February 16, 2023, 04:54:48 PM
Alox colors.
Seems that Victorinox doesn't like anything but silver for users in the US.  I'm referring to MiniChamps, mostly.  If I'm lucky enough to see a red Alox MiniChamp, on the eBay, it's gonna be listed for more than double than silver.
It’s really quite strange that they don’t offer a standard pioneer, farmer or Alox minichamp in red Alox  :think:
It seems like they would sell out instantly and they could probably get away with charging a lot for them.
Sometimes I think that Victorinox is allergic to making a profit.  :twak:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #70 on: February 16, 2023, 05:24:41 PM
RED  :D.  I have white, green, had silver tech, black, blue, and  :think:.  Red for many needs to stay pristine, for me I love the look of a well used SAK.  It doesn't matter the material or color. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #71 on: February 16, 2023, 05:50:43 PM
That’s a beauty of a red Farmer X JR   :hatsoff:
Did you pick that up at knife center?
 :cheers:
Yes, but also got that perfect fit sheath with steel and, zipper pull somewhere else, I think Amazon, that was my Xmas present in 2020, and have been carrying it and only it ever since..
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #72 on: February 16, 2023, 08:15:06 PM
JR

Wanna sell that first one there?  :pok:

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #73 on: February 17, 2023, 06:52:31 AM
Sometimes I think that Victorinox is allergic to making a profit.  :twak:
:iagree: They could offer Bantams and Pioneers in spiffy colors and take my money...but for whatever reason, they won't.
USN 2000-2006

si Offline Mitch-O

• Mitch-O
Reply #74 on: February 17, 2023, 07:13:59 AM
I'll share a little experience with scale durability...

Anything printed will show wear with use. I tend to not carry anything printed (such as American flag and camo) for that very reason. Black usually holds up well over time. White is another one I tend to avoid, as it takes on a very dingy and unappealing look with use and carry. One of the ugliest SAKs I own is a Rally whose white scales have worn printed logos.

Truthfully, I'm good on carrier SAKs for now. Any future carrier SAKs will likely be Alox or get their Cellidor scales replaced with Micarta.

Thank you! I think that I will try my luck with the climber camo that will stay mostly at home. So no pockets with  keys. The outrider will be in red standard. It is also harder to loose if dropped somewhere in the woods I think.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #75 on: February 17, 2023, 03:22:55 PM
Wanna sell that first one there?  :pok:
Heck no, that’s my pride and joy, all custom! Believe it or not that was a Pioneer that I got from Amazon, it was for sale at the same price as a normal pioneer but it also said it was red and had a diff cross and showed a pic, I didn’t believe it, but I bought one anyway, 2days later it showed up on my doorstep and I almost passed out! The Mrs looked at me like what’s the matter? I was stuttering like um um um, what just spit it out! They don’t make these, they’re like over $100 and yet I just paid like $29 for an absolute brand new one that still had oil on it! I think I mentioned something on here about it when I bought it when I should have bought more, cause I sooo love that old school design better! That and I could have jacked the price up and sold them somewhere else!
JR

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%