Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How to Remove Oil?

us Offline marlowe221

How to Remove Oil?
on: July 04, 2022, 05:54:48 AM
I’ve been buying used SAKs lately. Most of them come to me with some degree of oil in the joints… but I don’t know what it is!

I would like to take these knives, strip out whatever oil is on them, and replace it with something that I know is food safe (especially being a dad…).

What’s the best way to remove the oil that is already on a knife? Is the usual warm water and dish soap bath enough to take it off completely?

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Re: How to Remove Oil?
Reply #1 on: July 04, 2022, 06:07:54 AM
A couple of long soaks in hot soapy water (changing out the water in between) should do it, I wouldn't be particularly concerned about it though. If it's in the joints then it isn't very likely to make it onto food you're cutting, and a lot of the time it's probably Vic's own copious oil job from the factory.

The Spartan I'm using in the Spartan challenge I've owned for about a decade or so, but there's still Vic oil on some of the tools!
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: July 04, 2022, 11:23:09 AM
A couple of long soaks in hot soapy water (changing out the water in between) should do it, I wouldn't be particularly concerned about it though. If it's in the joints then it isn't very likely to make it onto food you're cutting, and a lot of the time it's probably Vic's own copious oil job from the factory.

The Spartan I'm using in the Spartan challenge I've owned for about a decade or so, but there's still Vic oil on some of the tools!

:iagree:

I would dry it off with a paper towel then expel the remaining water with whatever oil your using before wiping it down again with another paper towel.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #3 on: July 04, 2022, 12:17:51 PM
You can also use an ultrasonic cleaner
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #4 on: July 05, 2022, 06:21:23 AM
Thanks folks! This is really helpful!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85