Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Favorite Four Layer Challenge June 2022

Fireman · 824 · 11065

us Offline Fireman

• No Life Club
  • Truck Monkey
Re: Favorite Four Layer Challenge June 2022
Reply #30 on: May 21, 2022, 08:27:01 PM
I thought it was generally understood that the challenge tool(s) were to be used exclusively, to the greatest extent legal and practical?

If you want a badge for a specific SAK, you must use that specific SAK for the entire 30 days. 

1-Post a pic of a 4 layer SAK, preferably in use, every day for 30 days.
2-If you use the same 4 layer SAK every day, and there is a badge, you can apply for the badge at the end.
3-If you don't need no stinking badges, use as many different 4 layer SAKs as you own or can afford to buy.
4-Most importantly, have fun!

I will not be awarded any badges, but I'm going to have a blast using my Huntsman, Explorer, Deluxe Tinker, Fieldmaster, Angler, Fisherman, Mountaineer... 8)

us Offline Farmer X

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: May 22, 2022, 02:50:09 AM
It's now in the Challenge section where it belongs. Thanks for pointing out the mistake   :tu:
You betcha!
Enough multi-tools? Ain't no such thing as enough multi-tools!

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • He Who Has The Most Nuts, Wins!
Reply #32 on: May 22, 2022, 01:48:01 PM
Right, but when the originator simply said “normal challenge rules apply”, it prompted some discussion of what exactly that entailed.

I believe your comment came after he had laid out the rules hence my reply   ;)

I thought the "void where prohibited" made it clear that that part was in jest.  If you want rules, here's the rules:

1-Post a pic of a 4 layer SAK, preferably in use, every day for 30 days.
2-If you use the same 4 layer SAK every day, and there is a badge, you can apply for the badge at the end.
3-If you don't need no stinking badges, use as many different 4 layer SAKs as you own or can afford to buy. 
4-Most importantly, have fun!

Good enough?  :D

us Offline BPRoberts

Reply #33 on: May 23, 2022, 05:11:41 PM
I'll be hopping on a few days early. I'm doing some traveling this summer, so I'm shuffling things around a little to make sure I still get the full 30. Leaning towards carrying a Huntsman, but I have all the badged knives, so I may mix it up.

us Offline hsherzfeld

Reply #34 on: May 23, 2022, 08:16:31 PM
I’m having trouble deciding what to carry for the challenge: Explorer or my new Huntsman. I don’t have much opportunity to use a wood saw at the office, whereas the Explorer’s magnifying glass gets a lot of use.
Current SAKs: Explorer, SwissChamp, Handyman (modded), Climber, Super Tinker, Tinker, Woodsman (modded), Electrician, Pioneer, SwissTool
Current Leatherman tools: PST, Original Wave, Wave, Wave+, Blast, Bond, Curl, Style PS, Micra

Boomer Sooner!

us Offline Fireman

• No Life Club
  • Truck Monkey
Reply #35 on: May 23, 2022, 08:58:38 PM
I'll be hopping on a few days early. I'm doing some traveling this summer, so I'm shuffling things around a little to make sure I still get the full 30. Leaning towards carrying a Huntsman, but I have all the badged knives, so I may mix it up.

Outstanding!   :cheers:

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #36 on: May 25, 2022, 04:33:35 PM
I will be in too. Have to go through the SAK list to see what all is 4 layer, but the Explorer might make the cut. Especially since I don't have one and that gives me enough reason to order one  :rofl:

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #37 on: May 25, 2022, 04:34:09 PM
1. Fireman
2. hsherzfeld
3. Echotech
4. Buzzbait
5. nate j
6, glenfiddich1983
7. Sos24
8. Brock O Lee
9. SirVicaLot

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #38 on: May 25, 2022, 04:41:36 PM
Could also use the Atlas (https://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Atlas) but I am not sure if it is a 4 layer. SAKwiki has it listed as 4 layers but it only has 2 middle liners  :think: What do you guys say?

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Reply #39 on: May 25, 2022, 08:30:16 PM
It has 4 layers of tools - Blade layer, openers layer, saw layer, pliers layer.
I reckon that qualifies.

us Offline BPRoberts

Reply #40 on: May 26, 2022, 01:58:01 AM
Day 1

Starting a few days early so I can also participate in the Spartan challenge without having to try to smuggle it onto a cruise ship.

I'm opting to carry a Huntsman this month because:

1. Despite being my favorite 91mm, I've never carried one for more than a day here and a day there. I'm pretty sure my Fieldmaster has gotten more pocket time, even though I prefer the corkscrew. The combo of scissors and saw to the basic Spartan IMO makes the Huntsman the smallest "do it all" knife. While it may not have as many tools as the Swisschamp, most of the other add-ons enhance existing capabilities (inline vs can opener phillips) rather than adding a real new function.

2. All my current Huntsmans (I'll probably pick up one or two more in the next month...) are non-cellidor. I thought it'd be nice to carry something with a little different feel.

We're starting with a wood handle that I got lightly used on ebay. I think it's walnut? It's got the modern scissor rivet and tang stamp, along with tweezers and toothpick. No pin or pen.

No exciting uses today, I did a little scraping with the tweezers, opened a bag of onions with the scissors, and used the hook to help carry the groceries in.

Naturally, the first day I carried a pinless knife, I needed one. Someone at work asked me to reset their smart watch, and I had to rummage around for a paperclip to hit the little button instead of just pulling out the pen like I normally would.

* Starter.jpg (Filesize: 175.57 KB)

us Offline CM Yo

Reply #41 on: May 26, 2022, 07:31:32 PM
I have not been good on these 30 day challenges as something comes up and I miss a pic post. I am going to give it a try again to see if I can get it done this time.

I still haven't decided on which 4 layers yet to carry. I carry an Explorer daily in my work bag. I also have a Huntsman I was thinking of cleaning up and giving my son.

Either way I am in for the challenge.

Thanks for giving me another chance at a challenge.

Sonoran Desert Dweller

Living and Loving

us Offline BPRoberts

Reply #42 on: May 27, 2022, 01:06:42 AM
Day 2

Slightly more eventful day for the Huntsman today. Toothpick used for its intended purpose, and the scissors did a little trimming on some pansies and sage I'm trying to bring back to life. Pansies are going well, sage is still iffy. Slightly missed the plyers on my Swisschamp today, as I was trying to fix a zipper. Also noticed my phone is was a little scratched up today. I'm not sure it was the Huntsman, but kind of suspicious that it happened the day after I started carrying it. I've had other SAKs in that pocket with it dozens of times without any issue. I feel like the liners stick out just a smidge on the wood scales, in a way they don't on the cellidors, hard to tell for sure though. Cameo by an Explorer I opted not carry thus month. Either way, something to keep an eye on as I carry it, and that's the most best part of these challenges, finding out new things about a tool you've had or carried for who knows how long.

* Explorer.jpg (Filesize: 192.92 KB)

* liners.jpg (Filesize: 182.93 KB)

* trim.jpg (Filesize: 189.26 KB)

au Offline Brock O Lee

Reply #43 on: May 27, 2022, 04:52:07 AM
Day 1
We're starting with a wood handle that I got lightly used on ebay. I think it's walnut? It's got the modern scissor rivet and tang stamp, along with tweezers and toothpick. No pin or pen.

Curious, did you modify the scales to accept the toothpick and tweezers? I've only seen the wood scales without those slots, which is unfortunate about the Victorinox wood collection in my view.

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Reply #44 on: May 27, 2022, 12:16:59 PM
I will be using a Huntsman this challenge  :cheers:

[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

us Offline BPRoberts

Reply #45 on: May 27, 2022, 03:07:58 PM
Curious, did you modify the scales to accept the toothpick and tweezers? I've only seen the wood scales without those slots, which is unfortunate about the Victorinox wood collection in my view.

I did not, they came that way. I'm seeing mixed results when I google about which wood models do and don't have them. Leaf's suggests that if it has T&T it's probably the Bubinga scales, but the wiki only has those listed on a French limited edition. Several online stores have or had them, including REI, which seems like an unlikely place to sell a limited edition French knife. Maybe Kamakiri or someone can shed some further light on this? It's also possible they were custom and I just got lucky, I got it as part of a TSA lot on ebay, sometimes you get lucky and get weird/rare/cool stuff for cheap that way.

us Offline Fireman

• No Life Club
  • Truck Monkey
Reply #46 on: May 27, 2022, 06:00:35 PM
Current list of challengers:

1. Fireman
2. hsherzfeld
3. Echotech
4. Buzzbait
5. nate j
6, glenfiddich1983
7. Sos24
8. Brock O Lee
9. SirVicaLot
10 BPR Roberts (starting 5/26)
11.CM Yo

us Offline Fireman

• No Life Club
  • Truck Monkey
Reply #47 on: May 27, 2022, 06:01:54 PM
Day 1

Starting a few days early so I can also participate in the Spartan challenge without having to try to smuggle it onto a cruise ship.

I suppose that could lead to a Spartan challenge of it's own in a foreign jail.  :ahhh

us Offline BPRoberts

Reply #48 on: May 27, 2022, 06:06:06 PM
I suppose that could lead to a Spartan challenge of it's own in a foreign jail.  :ahhh

"But your honor, I wanted an internet merit badge!"

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #49 on: May 27, 2022, 06:27:42 PM
"But your honor, I wanted an internet merit badge!"

Seems legit  :rofl:

I would approve  :D

gb Offline MichaelGT83

Reply #50 on: May 27, 2022, 07:52:12 PM
I was going to jump in on this after taking a break after the Soldier On! challenge, but as I'm going to spend most of June out of the country with no checked luggage, I'll have to give it a miss! I'll be watching with interest though.
We have the tools, we have the talent!

us Online nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: May 27, 2022, 10:37:48 PM
Most likely it is stupid cruise line rules, not actually against the law anywhere.

us Offline BPRoberts

Reply #52 on: May 27, 2022, 11:56:06 PM
Most likely it is stupid cruise line rules, not actually against the law anywhere.

My understanding is that it works like most event venues. If they find it, they take it and stash it. If you want to stand in line, fill out a form, etc. you can probably get it back. As much as I dislike being without my (clearly hyper-lethal) SAK, I'm not interested in dealing with all that. Plan is to carry a Swisscard Nailcare for "undercover carry" since the scissors are within the limit, and that covers 90% of my day to day uses anyway.

us Offline BPRoberts

Reply #53 on: May 28, 2022, 01:49:39 AM
Day 3

Like I said before, the Huntsman can do most of the things the Swiss Champ can do, if you're willing to get a little creative. The wood saw, for example, works pretty well as an all purpose pokey/proddy/grabby tool in the absence of the fish scaler. But, did you know that it's also a passable ruler?

Counting teeth on the same side, it's just under 6 per inch, or just over 3 per cm. Not  super precise, but the one on the fish scaler isn't exactly a scientific instrument either.

* rulercm.jpg (Filesize: 177.02 KB)

* rulerin.jpg (Filesize: 194.18 KB)

us Online nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #54 on: May 28, 2022, 01:57:37 AM
My understanding is that it works like most event venues. If they find it, they take it and stash it. If you want to stand in line, fill out a form, etc. you can probably get it back. As much as I dislike being without my (clearly hyper-lethal) SAK, I'm not interested in dealing with all that. Plan is to carry a Swisscard Nailcare for "undercover carry" since the scissors are within the limit, and that covers 90% of my day to day uses anyway.
That’s the way it was the last time I went on a cruise, though it has been a few years ago now.

Silliest thing was, the steak knives they passed out at dinner probably would have made better improvised weapons than any SAK.

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #55 on: May 28, 2022, 07:41:43 AM
Day 3

Like I said before, the Huntsman can do most of the things the Swiss Champ can do, if you're willing to get a little creative. The wood saw, for example, works pretty well as an all purpose pokey/proddy/grabby tool in the absence of the fish scaler. But, did you know that it's also a passable ruler?

Counting teeth on the same side, it's just under 6 per inch, or just over 3 per cm. Not  super precise, but the one on the fish scaler isn't exactly a scientific instrument either.

That is neat, i have got to remember that  :like:

us Offline Fireman

• No Life Club
  • Truck Monkey
Reply #56 on: May 28, 2022, 05:09:35 PM
So many choices... :ahhh

us Offline hsherzfeld

Reply #57 on: May 28, 2022, 05:58:43 PM
So many choices... :ahhh

(Image removed from quote.)

My only four-layer SAKs are Explorers and my new Huntsman. I debated buying a Fisherman (instead of the Huntsman) just for the novelty of the fish scaler and silver fish inlay, but I'm glad I didn't now that I know there isn't a Fisherman badge...yet.
Current SAKs: Explorer, SwissChamp, Handyman (modded), Climber, Super Tinker, Tinker, Woodsman (modded), Electrician, Pioneer, SwissTool
Current Leatherman tools: PST, Original Wave, Wave, Wave+, Blast, Bond, Curl, Style PS, Micra

Boomer Sooner!

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #58 on: May 28, 2022, 06:15:34 PM
I think I will carry the Outrider and go for the 111mm badge. Probably  :think:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #59 on: May 28, 2022, 08:08:12 PM
I'm in with a Fieldmaster....or FX....if I have one.  :think:

How can I not have a Farmer X? It's my favorite SAK!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
July Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: $68.00
PayPal Fees: $3.74
Net Balance: $64.26
Below Goal: $235.74
Site Currency: USD
21%