Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Favorite Four Layer Challenge June 2022

Fireman · 824 · 17179

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Re: Favorite Four Layer Challenge June 2022
Reply #780 on: June 29, 2022, 10:35:04 PM
DAY 29

My contestant for the 30 Day Spartan Midsummer Challenge arrived a day early. I can't remember the last time I had a brand new Victorinox. Wow them blades be snappy and those scales are clean and no scratches. I am a little scared of this serrated blade as with it being sharp and that back spring snap, fear for my fingers in July.

Huntsman to the rescue and small blade made quick work of the clamshell pack. (Image removed from quote.)

Outta the Ol' Pueblo

That serrated blade are great and make quick work of everything, I have never sharpened a serrated blade but haven't been needing to do so yet

us Offline Buzzbait

Reply #781 on: June 30, 2022, 02:25:04 AM
Day 29

Had to cut up some old soda bottles, to use as tops for seed starters.

--
'Buzz

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #782 on: June 30, 2022, 05:01:03 AM
SteveP - Day 29

A good day for the home Explorer...

Used the tip of the can opener to pop out a stubborn dead battery.

Used the scissors to trim some loose threads from a pair of pants.

Used the small blade to do some light pruning in the yard. (Though I have to admit I was missing the wood saw on the Outdoorsman or Champ I usually carry.)

* 20220629_201624.jpg (Filesize: 469.75 KB)
SAKs:
58mm: Bijou (3), Classic SD (7), Mini Champ Plus (mod), Alox Classic SD, Rambler (3), Companion
65mm: Wenger Esquire
74mm: Executive
85mm: Evolution S557, Traveler,
91mm: Champion "c", Swiss Champ (4), Explorer (3), Deluxe Tinker, Huntsman, Serrated Spartan/Weekender, Explorer Plus, Deluxe Explorer Plus (mod), Outdoorsman Plus, Champion "a", Champion Plus, Timekeeper Alarm, Golfer
93mm: Pioneer Alox

au Offline Echotech

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #783 on: June 30, 2022, 06:11:14 AM
Thanks for the challenge Fireman :tu: it’s been a good one. I’ve enjoyed using a Huntsman the entire month, long been a fave and didn’t let me down.
Good work awl, been a lot of top pics and uses :hatsoff:

Day 30

us Offline Sos24

Reply #784 on: June 30, 2022, 06:15:31 AM
Day 29
The Mtn Yeoman cut open a package that arrived just in time.  Spent the day outside at the in-laws, so the Thermcell got tested a little.  It also popped open a couple beers for the cookout.  After dinner went in for a short time to set up their TV with an antenna and Roku.  The Mtn Yeoman mini driver worked for resetting the Roku.

se Offline RF52

Reply #785 on: June 30, 2022, 11:02:34 AM
Do the thermacell stuff work? Looks a bit to good to be true :dunno:

Sent fra min M2002J9G via Tapatalk

se Offline RF52

Reply #786 on: June 30, 2022, 11:07:54 AM
Day 30:

Peeled and cut away bad pieces of the last apple for a snack for the kid :tu:

Most of my uses this month have been fixing snacks for the kid :rofl:
Did miss a saw a couple of times, but other than that the Explorer is a great EDC companion :like:

Thanks for a good challenge everyone! :hatsoff:
Had a blast as usual with these challenges :cheers:

* IMG_20220627_114319.jpg (Filesize: 45.02 KB)

us Offline Fireman

• No Life Club
  • Truck Monkey
Reply #787 on: June 30, 2022, 01:20:18 PM
DAY 30[/glow][/b]  We did it!   This was the first challenge I instigated, and I want to thank everyone who made it, gave it a shot, or dropped in to encourage us!

Congrats to those who earned badges! 

Patriotic Huntsmen for the last day.  8)

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #788 on: June 30, 2022, 02:43:26 PM
Great job Fireman!  This was a lot of fun.  I carried a 4 layer exclusively for over 30 years and rarely came up short.  This was a great journey down memory lane!

For Day 30, we clipped some small saplings with the main blade.
Barry

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #789 on: June 30, 2022, 02:49:24 PM
Powernoodle Day 30

At Powernoodle Slug Farms, we examine each slug daily to ensure that the consumer receives only the most healthful and tasty slugs.

Look closely and you can see the eye spots on the optic tentacles. Each eye stalk can move independently and can be re-grown if lost.

Thank you Brother Fireman and everyone who participated in this glorious challenge!   :cheers: :salute: :ahhh :cheers: :salute: :ahhh

us Offline Fireman

• No Life Club
  • Truck Monkey
Reply #790 on: June 30, 2022, 04:16:35 PM
Powernoodle Day 30

At Powernoodle Slug Farms, we examine each slug daily to ensure that the consumer receives only the most healthful and tasty slugs. [/i]

Look closely and you can see the eye spots on the optic tentacles. Each eye stalk can move independently and can be re-grown if lost. [/i]

Thank you Brother Fireman and everyone who participated in this glorious challenge!   :cheers: :salute: :ahhh :cheers: :salute: :ahhh

I can see that you really care about your slugs.    :rofl:  Great photo!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2022, 04:38:32 PM by Fireman »

us Offline Fireman

• No Life Club
  • Truck Monkey
Reply #791 on: June 30, 2022, 04:20:57 PM

I've tested it in Florida swamps with clouds of mosquitos, and it works.  It's like being in a protective bubble.  I don't know if breathing the stuff is good for you or not, but it's better than our collection of mosquito borne illnessses.

us Offline Buzzbait

Reply #792 on: June 30, 2022, 06:53:36 PM
Day 30

It's been a great month with the FX. Truly an amazing knife. Even with the many models available to me, this would be an easy knife to live with, day in and day out. Clearly one of the best Victorinox models for me.

I'll be strongly pondering the FX for the next couple months. Definitely a model that I could live with for EDC, as well as outdoor use. The question is whether or not I prefer it over my beloved SwissChamp, the Farmer/Minichamp combo, or my new Ranger. Or whether I'd ultimately like to use a specific model for EDC, and an entirely different model for outdoor use. So many models to choose from, and decisions to be made....

What I did learn from a month with the FX, is that I was easily able to live with the tool compliment. The size and bulk were never too much for me. The grip of the FX felt great, despite the four layer thickness.

I also found daily carry to be much less of hassle, having just the FX to carry, in comparison to the previous month of carrying both the Farmer and MiniChamp. Just less to think about and keep track of on a daily basis.

--
'Buzz

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Reply #793 on: June 30, 2022, 08:21:28 PM
Day 30 final apple cutting and parcel opening. Now this “US Mission Geneva” Huntsman will return to the display and other SAKs will see some use :)

[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

us Offline CM Yo

Reply #794 on: June 30, 2022, 08:26:21 PM
DAY 30

I have learned a lot carrying this Huntsman exclusively for the last 30 days. It has served all my needs and I never had to reach for anything to help.

Will it replace my Explorer as my favorite 4 layer Victorinox? Probably not, but I might Frankenstein a woodsman eventually for a saw.

Thank you for the chance to do this challenge as I appreciate it. First challenge I have completed after several other attempts.

I have grown fond of the Awl and used it more than everything but the main blade. I used it for fingernails this morning. Used the small blade to free a barbie for a lil lass. Hook was not used all month, so why not today, used for hanging my Huntsman.

Outta the Ol' Pueblo

Living and Loving

us Offline Explorer

• No Life Club
Reply #795 on: June 30, 2022, 11:24:17 PM
DAY 29
Thought this one went through but looks like it didn’t anyway day 29 was kind of uneventful
Does sniffing count as a use?

us Offline Explorer

• No Life Club
Reply #796 on: June 30, 2022, 11:26:20 PM
Powernoodle Day 30

(Image removed from quote.)
At Powernoodle Slug Farms, we examine each slug daily to ensure that the consumer receives only the most healthful and tasty slugs.

Look closely and you can see the eye spots on the optic tentacles. Each eye stalk can move independently and can be re-grown if lost.

Mmmmm that’s some good protein right there  :D
Trail food.  :tu:

us Offline Sos24

Reply #797 on: July 01, 2022, 12:31:03 AM

I know a few people who use the older butane style and love them, but this is my first one.  I first found out about them at a friends house and didn’t get bothered at all by mosquitos.  I figured I’d give it a try especially with a planned trip where the last time we went both my wife and I got bit a lot.  Some people I’ve known say it also works on other flying insects like deer flies, even though Thermcell doesn’t claim anything other than mosquitoes, I’m hoping.

us Offline Sos24

Reply #798 on: July 01, 2022, 12:36:29 AM
DAY 30

I have learned a lot carrying this Huntsman exclusively for the last 30 days. It has served all my needs and I never had to reach for anything to help.

Will it replace my Explorer as my favorite 4 layer Victorinox? Probably not, but I might Frankenstein a woodsman eventually for a saw.

Thank you for the chance to do this challenge as I appreciate it. First challenge I have completed after several other attempts.

I have grown fond of the Awl and used it more than everything but the main blade. I used it for fingernails this morning. Used the small blade to free a barbie for a lil lass. Hook was not used all month, so why not today, used for hanging my Huntsman. (Image removed from quote.)

Outta the Ol' Pueblo
Glad to have you and agree the Explorer is a great SAK if you like the mag glass but the Huntsman also is great. 

Day 30

It's been a great month with the FX. Truly an amazing knife. Even with the many models available to me, this would be an easy knife to live with, day in and day out. Clearly one of the best Victorinox models for me.

I'll be strongly pondering the FX for the next couple months. Definitely a model that I could live with for EDC, as well as outdoor use. The question is whether or not I prefer it over my beloved SwissChamp, the Farmer/Minichamp combo, or my new Ranger. Or whether I'd ultimately like to use a specific model for EDC, and an entirely different model for outdoor use. So many models to choose from, and decisions to be made....

What I did learn from a month with the FX, is that I was easily able to live with the tool compliment. The size and bulk were never too much for me. The grip of the FX felt great, despite the four layer thickness.

I also found daily carry to be much less of hassle, having just the FX to carry, in comparison to the previous month of carrying both the Farmer and MiniChamp. Just less to think about and keep track of on a daily basis.

I do love the Farmer X especially for outdoors.

Powernoodle Day 30

Cool picture and nice information as well.

us Offline Sos24

Reply #799 on: July 01, 2022, 12:37:39 AM
Day 30 final apple cutting and parcel opening. Now this “US Mission Geneva” Huntsman will return to the display and other SAKs will see some use :)

Beautiful specialty SAK.

DAY 29
Thought this one went through but looks like it didn’t anyway day 29 was kind of uneventful
Cute picture.

us Offline Sos24

Reply #800 on: July 01, 2022, 12:50:13 AM
Day 30
A good challenge awl and thanks Fireman for hosting.  I’ve concluded, despite trying a few different 4-layer SAKs, that the Mountain Yeoman is my favorite 4-layer.

Today’s use was opening up a new to me knife, opening a box of crackers and tightening a doorknob screw.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #801 on: July 01, 2022, 05:30:32 AM
Well, I’ve been slacking on posting, but not on using the Huntsman.

Day 27

Huntsman’s mini-driver was required to free this toy truck from the packaging for my son.  I mean really, who fastens a toy to the package with screws?

* IMG_0198.jpg (Filesize: 161.96 KB)

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #802 on: July 01, 2022, 05:32:04 AM
Day 28

Huntsman’s main blade made quick work of removing the tags from this headband for my daughter.

* IMG_0216.jpg (Filesize: 86.42 KB)

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #803 on: July 01, 2022, 05:35:28 AM
Day 29

Tested out the Huntsman’s cap lifter, and of course it passed.  I’m usually more of a lager or amber ale fan, but this IPA was pretty good.

* IMG_0221.jpg (Filesize: 183.91 KB)

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #804 on: July 01, 2022, 05:38:10 AM
Day 30

Huntsman adjusted the lock on this sliding door.

The Huntsman proved itself up to virtually every challenge it faced, but of course this didn’t surprise me (or anyone I suspect).

Thanks for a fun challenge all!

* IMG_0224.jpg (Filesize: 223.11 KB)

us Offline Explorer

• No Life Club
Reply #805 on: July 01, 2022, 05:46:40 AM
DAY 30
Well I think Bella is sad the challenge is over.
However it was a great challenge with wonderful pictures and uses by awl involved.
And a big thank you to fireman for hosting  :cheers:

Uses today include the MacGyver tool for popping a metal guard off of a lighter.
Small blade open a package. Scissors to open up some dog treats. And the awl to pry apart a stuck together doggy bag. Used the Mag glass to look at a hallmark on a silver ring.

Carrying the Explorer this month has reinforced my love for what I consider to be the ideal four layer carry
Great job everyone and it was an honor :salute: :cheers: :salute:

« Last Edit: July 01, 2022, 05:52:40 AM by Explorer »

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #806 on: July 01, 2022, 06:42:08 AM
DAY 30
Well I think Bella is sad the challenge is over.
However it was a great challenge with wonderful pictures and uses by awl involved.
And a big thank you to fireman for hosting  :cheers:

Uses today include the MacGyver tool for popping a metal guard off of a lighter.
Small blade open a package. Scissors to open up some dog treats. And the awl to pry apart a stuck together doggy bag. Used the Mag glass to look at a hallmark on a silver ring.

Carrying the Explorer this month has reinforced my love for what I consider to be the ideal four layer carry
Great job everyone and it was an honor :salute: :cheers: :salute:

That dog is just too cute.
SAKs:
58mm: Bijou (3), Classic SD (7), Mini Champ Plus (mod), Alox Classic SD, Rambler (3), Companion
91mm: Champion "c", Swiss Champ (4), Explorer (3), Deluxe Tinker, Huntsman, Serrated Spartan/Weekender, Explorer Plus, Deluxe Explorer Plus (mod), Outdoorsman Plus, Champion "a", Champion Plus, Timekeeper Alarm, Golfer

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #807 on: July 01, 2022, 06:55:45 AM
SteveP - Day 30!

For their final appearances in the challenge, the work Explorer cut open yet more boxes and the home Explorer trimmed some loose threads and helped peel some oranges.

This has been an interesting challenge. I think I would have enjoyed it more had it been during winter. When doing yard work, I found myself missing the wood saw of the Outdoorsman or Champ that I usually carry. If I was planning to do yard work, I got in the habit of dropping my Huntsman in my pocket as well. But it's when I just happened to be outside and wanted to cut something that I missed a SAK with more tools.

I also missed the universal scaler and pliers a few times during the month.

But setting aside the wood saw, the Explorer is a really good urban SAK. Probably the minimum I'd carry, mainly because of the inline Phillips.

It's really been a pleasure seeing all of your four-layer SAKs, your uses, and the great photos. Thank you, Fireman, for putting it together. Until the next challenge!

* 2022-06-30 23.47.44.jpg (Filesize: 496.56 KB)
SAKs:

us Offline Explorer

• No Life Club
Reply #808 on: July 01, 2022, 03:33:25 PM
That dog is just too cute.
Thanks Steve  :cheers:
She’s got me totally wrapped around her finger 
:facepalm:

us Offline Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #809 on: July 01, 2022, 05:37:15 PM
Sure! A big :like: for Bella.

Today’s use was opening up a new to me knife, opening a box of crackers and tightening a doorknob screw.
What tool did you use? I've found the screwdriver on the end of a Wenger type magnifying glass works exceedingly well for that purpose.

This was a great challenge to follow. Badges well and truly earned! :tu:
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%