Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Fast way to loosen the pliers on a new (ish) Leatherman?

us Offline hsherzfeld

I've had my Wave+ for a little over two years, but I haven't used the pliers often enough for them to loosen up. They're still so tight that the pliers will stay closed if I hold the tool sideways by one handle. Is there a way to loosen the plier pivot just a little bit, so that the pliers open and close freely, but not so much that they rattle?
Current SAKs: Explorer, SwissChamp, Handyman (modded), Climber, Super Tinker, Tinker, Woodsman (modded), Electrician, Pioneer, SwissTool, Executive, Ambassador, Champion Plus
Current Leatherman tools: PST, Original Wave, Wave, Wave+, Blast, Bond, Curl, Style PS, Micra

Boomer Sooner!

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Fast way to loosen the pliers on a new (ish) Leatherman?
Reply #1 on: December 16, 2020, 09:28:36 PM
My only guess would be to open them 20,000 times while watching Say Yes to the Dress.  If you start messing with them mechanically to loosen them, you could get a bad result.  JMO.

:salute:

us Offline hsherzfeld

Reply #2 on: December 16, 2020, 09:48:31 PM
That's pretty much what I figured I would have to do.
Current SAKs: Explorer, SwissChamp, Handyman (modded), Climber, Super Tinker, Tinker, Woodsman (modded), Electrician, Pioneer, SwissTool, Executive, Ambassador, Champion Plus
Current Leatherman tools: PST, Original Wave, Wave, Wave+, Blast, Bond, Curl, Style PS, Micra

Boomer Sooner!

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: December 17, 2020, 12:11:37 AM
I had some success with a Rebar by thoroughly degreasing the plier head and then manually open and closing it with no lube many times while watching tv. when you feel it start to loosen up then oil it.

us Offline hsherzfeld

Reply #4 on: December 17, 2020, 01:35:37 AM
I had some success with a Rebar by thoroughly degreasing the plier head and then manually open and closing it with no lube many times while watching tv. when you feel it start to loosen up then oil it.

How did you degrease it?

Boomer Sooner!

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: December 17, 2020, 01:51:11 AM
I used brake cleaner spray but you could use any type of spray degreaser or even paint thinner or acetone. The idea is to have no lubrication so the parts are wearing against each other a bit.

us Offline hsherzfeld

Reply #6 on: December 17, 2020, 02:19:57 AM
Ok, that makes sense. I'll try it. Thanks!

Boomer Sooner!

nl Offline nitram

Reply #7 on: December 17, 2020, 09:29:25 AM
I had some very tight pliers once that loosened up with a thin and fine polishing compound. Trickle a little bit in the pivot and open and close for a while. After that make sure you really flush everything out well and oil it up properly.

Be careful doing this, when overdone you’re effectively wearing out the pivot.

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #8 on: December 17, 2020, 10:58:42 AM
I wonder if you could get valve-grinding paste in there...  :think:

nl Offline nitram

Reply #9 on: December 17, 2020, 11:55:31 AM
I wonder if you could get valve-grinding paste in there...  :think:
I bet you could. Maybe with a bit extra mineral oil mixed in if it’s too thick? But you really don’t want to overdo this method.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: December 17, 2020, 03:19:33 PM
My only guess would be to open them 20,000 times while watching Say Yes to the Dress.  If you start messing with them mechanically to loosen them, you could get a bad result.  JMO.

:salute:
Does it have to be 'Say yes to the dress'?  What about "The Bachelorette"?

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: May 10, 2022, 05:58:12 PM
Found this video the other day and I have used this method to loosen up three Leatherman's a Rebar BO a Wave and a Charge .

Some I had to whack more than others . Whack test, whack again until they stay loose after squeezing tight closed.

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: May 10, 2022, 09:02:19 PM
Found this video the other day and I have used this method to loosen up three Leatherman's a Rebar BO a Wave and a Charge .

Some I had to whack more than others . Whack test, whack again until they stay loose after squeezing tight closed.

Thanks! I will try that the next time I get tight plier if I can remember what side to whack. In the past I have been doing what maxlvledc shows in his YT channel.

cz Offline WillieTheJanitor

Reply #13 on: May 11, 2022, 06:00:38 PM
Found this video...

I tested it on Surge... it works perfectly :ahhh
Many thanks Steve  :tu:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: May 11, 2022, 06:48:28 PM
Glad it worked for you !   :cheers:

us Offline darrylf

Reply #15 on: May 12, 2022, 03:33:47 AM

I have tried this method on a new wave plus head with some success. The pliers are better but still not loose enough. I may not have thoroughly degreased, I cleaned it in an ultrasonic cleaner. Then I actually counted how many times I worked the pliers by using US quarters like poker chips. I opened and closed them over 2600 times.

But then I got a bit alarmed by reading the Wikipedia article on galling. I don’t want to mess up the metal in a crappy way. And I have two or three other plier heads I need to do this to. Maybe I should consider the valve grinding compound, I actually have some. Anyone else have more thoughts on that?

The whacking method seems simplest, but I am not sure I want to try that.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galling

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: May 12, 2022, 05:56:39 AM
Why are you reluctant to try the simple method ?

I tried the opening and closing method with no luck myself. This method works really well and o0nly takes a minute.

I just did it successfully on my BO Surge earlier today.   :tu:

pr Offline Juan el Boricua

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: May 12, 2022, 07:10:17 AM
 :iagree: that it is not only the simplest but also the fastest. I've done the valve lapping compound; it requires "attention to details" because if not thoroughly removed, it will continue to grind and then you'll end with floppy/overloose/excessive play in the pliers pivot (same if you overgrind; and this is not reversible or "correctable", like the whack). The only time that I would use the valve lapping compound first is if the tool is in black oxide, and I do not want to have the finish marred by the blows on a new tool.

us Offline darrylf

Reply #18 on: May 12, 2022, 11:32:10 AM
Well OK there are some good testimonials here, maybe I should try the whack. The reason I was reluctant is I was afraid it might damage the pliers. But if people here are having good results, and if it is reversible by hitting the other side, these are good signs.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: May 12, 2022, 12:31:57 PM
Welcome to :MTO:  darry :cheers:

Hope that you get the result you want from the whack :D

I know Steve knows his stuff and if he says it will be ok then I wouldn't hesitate to do it :salute: :tu:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: May 12, 2022, 01:28:52 PM
Well OK there are some good testimonials here, maybe I should try the whack. The reason I was reluctant is I was afraid it might damage the pliers. But if people here are having good results, and if it is reversible by hitting the other side, these are good signs.

It will  might leave a mark but you could try putting some masking tape over the pivot. I didn't use a bolt but the round end of a small cold chisel that I smoothed out on my grinder and the marking was minimal even on the BO tools.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%