Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Seeking advice on peening SAK pins

us Offline hsherzfeld

Seeking advice on peening SAK pins
on: June 05, 2022, 09:37:00 PM
I've disassembled and reassembled several 91mm SAKs, but I always struggle with peening the brass pins. No matter how hard I try, I can't get the head to mushroom out more than about 1-2 mm on all sides, which is only just enough of a lip to keep the bushing from sliding off.

This means that when I go to peen the other end of the pin (once the SAK is reassembled), the first end is below the surface of the bushing and doesn't contact the steel surface that I'm pounding against. This makes it difficult to achieve a good, tight lockup of all the parts.

Which brings me to my question:
I'd like to make the pin heads in such a way that they fill the inside of the bushing the way the factory pins do. Does anyone here know of a way to do that, or at least come close, using only hand tools?

Please note that I want my modded SAKs to still fit cellidor scales (without gluing, if possible), so any major alterations to the bushings are out.

Thanks in advance!

Moderators, please feel free to move this thread to the Mod Squad if you feel it belongs over there.
Current SAKs: Explorer, SwissChamp, Handyman (modded), Climber, Super Tinker, Tinker, Woodsman (modded), Electrician, Pioneer, SwissTool, Executive, Ambassador, Champion Plus
Current Leatherman tools: PST, Original Wave, Wave, Wave+, Blast, Bond, Curl, Style PS, Micra

Boomer Sooner!

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Seeking advice on peening SAK pins
Reply #1 on: June 06, 2022, 11:42:29 AM
Yeah leave more pin length. And if the bushing fills up then you can file off any excess.

Another way is to pre form on one side.
Place a small length of pin stock in a cordless drill and rotate while tapping slightly off center to get the mushroom started.
Then add a bushing to the setup and continue tapping until the bushing fills up.
A light file or sandpaper will help everything fit just right and have that factory look.
Now side one will make contact and you can go about side two.

After you get a feel for the peening it is quite easy to work on both sides at once.
Work a little flip it over work a little flip it over...
I've found the knife has a better walk and talk when done like this.

Go slow and take time.
The mushroom can split at the edges if pushed to far.
This is mostly cosmetic so don't stress over it.
Hundreds of little taps is better than a few heavier hits.
Work somewhere with good lighting so you can see where and how the brass is moving.

Also a smaller ball peen hammer can be nice. Easier to be accurate with and less effort to use.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #2 on: June 06, 2022, 11:47:24 AM
Yeah leave more pin length. And if the bushing fills up then you can file off any excess.

Another way is to pre form on one side.
Place a small length of pin stock in a cordless drill and rotate while tapping slightly off center to get the mushroom started.
Then add a bushing to the setup and continue tapping until the bushing fills up.
A light file or sandpaper will help everything fit just right and have that factory look.
Now side one will make contact and you can go about side two.

After you get a feel for the peening it is quite easy to work on both sides at once.
Work a little flip it over work a little flip it over...
I've found the knife has a better walk and talk when done like this.

Go slow and take time.
The mushroom can split at the edges if pushed to far.
This is mostly cosmetic so don't stress over it.
Hundreds of little taps is better than a few heavier hits.
Work somewhere with good lighting so you can see where and how the brass is moving.

Also a smaller ball peen hammer can be nice. Easier to be accurate with and less effort to use.

:iagree: The Crustacean is wise and correct
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #3 on: June 06, 2022, 12:00:27 PM
:iagree: The Crustacean is wise and correct

I concur with the secondary colour.

:D :D

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Reply #4 on: June 06, 2022, 12:23:52 PM
I believe the Yale psychologist speaks truth :)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%