Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Workpro 10 in 1 Multi-tool Scissors - Is it the Micra killer?

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
No, it is not. Not by any stretch of the imagination.
But what exactly is the "Workpro 10 in1 Mini Outdoor Multi Tool Scissors"? Let's see.

Features
Scissor-based multi-tool, butterfly opening, implements are inaccessible from the outside.
Non-locking, stainless steel tools, individual backsprings for each implement. Spring-loaded scissors.
Aluminium handles with aluminium inserts, for decorative purposes only.
Torx 8 screws. $8.99 (USD) at the time of this review.

Size comparison
Quite wide, too large to put on your keys. Note its inability to close properly.

Thicker than the Micra.

As thick as the Mini.

When opened, the Workpro is about 5mm longer than the Micra, due to the handles. The scissor end is the same length on both.

Scissors
Springloaded, and of equal cutting edge as the Micra. They cut just as well as the Micra, believe it or not.
There is nothing to offer traction, and combined with the rather strong spring, the tool may slip from your hands when using the scissors. The scales make the handles wide enough to provide a comfortable grip, which is nice.

The workpro's open wider than the Micra's.

They are also twice as thick.

Blade
Ground on both sides, as opposed to the Micra's chisel grind. It cuts very well, and should handle those small cutting tasks. Sadly, the backsprings are so strong, that if the blade snaps closed, the edge bangs on the backspring. Thus, I have to remember to fold it back carefully.
Can you see that brown smudge at the base of the blade? Yes, that is rust. Well spotted. How ironic that the rust developed over where it says "stainless". 

Philips screwdriver
The Workpro's is a three dimensional PH1, compared to the Micra's flat one, hence stronger, but short, and with quite rounded-off edges. It does fit No1 and 2 screws very well, and should be able to handle both without too much slippage.

Bottle opener
Shallower than the Micra. Should work well enough, given that the Micra is not the pinnacle of bottle openers per se.

Small flathead
Too large to fit eyeglasses, like the Micra's. Rounded edges, commonly found on off-brand tools.

Large flathead
Rounded off, but at least, it's incorporated on another tool. Too bad for the rounded edges.

File and nail-cleaner
The nail cleaner's edge is too sharp, scrapping along the nails, and if you are not careful, you may create a sharp edge that will annoy you.
It is not that bad of a nai-cleaner, but the Micra's hook is more pronounced, and does the job more efficiently.
The file is double sided, one side single-cut (fine), the other side double-cut (coarse). You win this time, Workpro.

Can opener
Very blunt, surprisingly so, given how thin it is. One might be tempted to sharpen it into a package opener.
There is also a wire stripper notch. Thanks Workpro.  :tu:
Tweezers are for size comparison. No tweezers on the Workpro.

Awl
Shorter than the P4's. Equally blunt. Cute, though.

Keyring attachment
Wider hole on the Workpro.  :tu:

Sheath
It comes in a nylon sheath, two mm longer than the Mini-Tool's, but of equal width and thickness. Horizontal carry only, snap button, single stitching, but a job well done at that. The Mini-Tool fits in here perfectly.

Quality
As mentioned at the beginning, the tool does not fold properly. One scissor blade folds against the backspring, deep in the handle, and there are no issues. The other scissor blade folds against the Philips, not as deep in the handle, resulting in an asymmetrical state when closed.
A scale decoration fell out, but I just pushed it back on the handle. They are decorative only, so this does not affect the performance. It does affect my opinion of it, though.
I received the item with a crack in the steel, and after a tad over three weeks of very light use, a backspring broke in two and fell out of the handle. I fear more will follow suit.
The screwdrivers are all rounded, and the can opener is as blunt as can be. The blade snaps closed with so much force, the edge hits the backspring.
It is a shame this tool fails the quality test, because the blade and scissors cut very well.

Broken backspring
Strong enough to provide a good snap, on most tools anyway, but evidently only for a limited amount of snaps. I have had this for almost a month, and the backspring just fell out.

Cracked steel
I received the tool like this.

Conclusion
It seems nice enough, like many cheap multi-tools companies buy in bulk and brand as their own. Indeed, if all implements were up to par with top brands, it would be a contender, and quite possibly dethrone the Micra as a small scissors-oriented multi-tool. Alas, the cons outweigh the pros, very much so. I would not waste my money on this again, and will be very skeptical about purchasing similar items. A used Micra will be the same price, if not cheaper, and far more practical, portable, efficient, elegant, durable, and reliable.

Advantages
• Good scissors
• Great sheath, fits the LM Mini-Tool perfectly.
• Diverse toolset

Disadvantages
• Very low quality construction
• Bulkier and heavier than competitors
• Prone to slipping when using the scissors

« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 07:07:54 PM by ReamerPunch »

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Great review RP :like: Very thorough and love all the comparison pics :cheers: :cheers: :tu: Seems a decent enough tool as well :cheers:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Thanks!  :cheers:

I tried to get good pics, but it was the middle of the night, right when the backspring broke. I thought I'd better do the review, before it crumbles into a jigsaw puzzle. 
I have two Micras. Why did I bother with this one? :facepalm:

I'll take out the file, and put it in the Micra, which will lose the tweezers. I have proper tweezers in my wallet, and I do not like the gap they leave. Unless I manage to put an edge on the can opener.

Offline stugumby

Does Workpro supply tools for Sears and Lowes under different brand names?? Lowes sells a tool just like that under their Kobalt brand.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Does Workpro supply tools for Sears and Lowes under different brand names?? Lowes sells a tool just like that under their Kobalt brand.

Like many cheap multi-tools, this was made by a factory in China, then bought in bulk by various companies who just put their name on them.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Good review mate.  :tu:  Shame it's not made out of better steel and of a better fit and finish.  I actually like the design.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
I have the same tool in a different color with Craftsman branding. It was cheaper, but also didn't include a sheath. The implements don't inspire much confidence, I'll say that.

it Offline Mini

Thanks for the review. I saw this multitool on aliexpress, and there was an offer so it costs a little less. I thought to buy it for my kid, but finally I didn't.
According with your impressions,  I was right.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 11:25:36 PM by Mini »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD