Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Heirlooms

Offline farmer33

• New User
Heirlooms
on: June 24, 2022, 02:49:03 PM
 I recently inherited an old Spartan, old Compact and new Cadet from my father. They have sentimental value so I plan to carry the cadet but store the cellidor models.

I have heard that aluminum liners are prone to seize or galvanize and I especially want to avoid this problem. Does anyone have any advice for long term storage of a Victorinox  Swiss army knives. For example is there an oil that will not only protect steel but also aluminum? Also do I have to worry about this problem on newer (2022) cadet or do they use a different liner.  I know the old alox used German silver, but I'm not sure about the newer ones.

If anyone has advice I appreciate it.  I know I might be ok simply oiling and storing in a dry place, but these really mean a lot to me, and I'm willing to take extra precautions if it might help.

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Re: Heirlooms
Reply #1 on: June 24, 2022, 04:09:20 PM
Welcome to MTo, farmer33!    I have dozens of alox knives, both older ones and newer ones, and none of them have this problem.  I use Victorinox's multitool lubricant on all of my knives and just store them in trays in a dry area.  I think you'll be fine if you keep your SAKs clean, lubed, dry, out of the dishwasher, and free of dirt and debris. 

Congratulations on your inheritance.  Hand-me-down pocket knives of any sort are the best!

Myron

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #2 on: June 24, 2022, 08:10:04 PM
Welcome aboard! Seems like you have got a nice start on SAKs. Those are the foundation models of any collection.

:cheers: :salute:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #3 on: June 25, 2022, 12:19:53 AM
Welcome to MTo. You’re right to be concerned about Al liners corroding. I just had a late 1980s-ish Climber arrive with the blades & tools strangely immaculate, but with crud under the scales & the most corroded liners I’ve ever come across. An outside liner is actually disintegrating in one place. I have a lot of used SAKs & while some corrosion is common, the good news is that I haven’t come across a case anything like this before.

I would go with Myron’s advice here.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2022, 12:30:03 AM by Sawl Goodman »
Rambler

us Offline Swisster

• Ambassador of SAK's
Reply #4 on: June 25, 2022, 02:16:52 AM
what era is the Spartan from? Does the Compact have the file on the carrying hook ? I would rather carry the Compact and shelve the Cadet because that Compact is less than 30 years old and a lot more function than the Cadet. The Cadet and the Compact are basically the same era of knives and no real exceeding age difference between the two. Just Saying because the Compacts are great EDC's. Hopefully yours has the file on it. If it was a Time Keeper Compact I would say store the knife but in your case it's worth carrying what you have

Offline farmer33

• New User
Reply #5 on: June 25, 2022, 07:52:22 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome.  I have already become a convert to SAK's.  They seem bombproof except for the liners.   I have taken the scales off to clean them, and while they are off I'm still wondering if there is anything extra I should do to prepare them for long term storage.

To answer your question I decided to save the Compact because it was the one most carried by my father. 

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: June 25, 2022, 03:05:10 PM
Welcome to MTo. You’re right to be concerned about Al liners corroding. I just had a late 1980s-ish Climber arrive with the blades & tools strangely immaculate, but with crud under the scales & the most corroded liners I’ve ever come across. An outside liner is actually disintegrating in one place. I have a lot of used SAKs & while some corrosion is common, the good news is that I haven’t come across a case anything like this before.

I would go with Myron’s advice here.

You know, now that Sawl says it, I do believe I've had a few with badly corroded liners.  But they were always parts knives, and I was after a specific implement so I didn't care.  Even more maddening is a broken spring on an obsolete knife, like a SAK with 84 mm scissors.   I still think if you clean, dry, and lubricate, you'll be ok. 

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%