Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Discontinued models

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Discontinued models
on: June 16, 2022, 01:09:41 PM
Doing the Social Media stuff and looking at the numbers of what posts were popular and what weren't has reinforced a theory that I have had for years and I'd love to hear other people's thoughts on it- you know, since this is a forum after all!   :D

Basically my observation is this: no one likes or wants a tool or knife until it is discontinued, and then everyone has to have it.

I am just as guilty of this- years ago I spent a lot of time at my local knife shop, and regularly looked at a Benchmade knife called the Panther.  I really didn't much care for the relatively square handle and never bought it, at least until I found out it was discontinued.  Then I couldn't NOT have it and instantly plunked down the necessary cash.

Many of the more collectible tools seem to fall into that category as well, like the coveted Victorinox Scientist, Leatherman's Flair and so on.  Of course the rarity of each of these tools contributes to the collectible factor of them, but the interesting thing is, people also start using them too!

It's a fascinating idea that I have seen reinforced over the past two decades that I have personally been seriously involved in SAKs, multitools and pocket knives, and I'm sure I'm not the only one that has noticed it.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Re: Discontinued models
Reply #1 on: June 16, 2022, 02:01:41 PM
I think that's a good theory, and in practice probably is a contributing factor...

But as someone relatively new to owning more than one SAK and, like many others before me, wishing there was one that also came with X, Y and Z tools... the discovery that there was indeed such a SAK but it has been discontinued is another contributing factor. People want it regardless of whether it's collectible, discontinued or whatever, but simply weren't around to get one when it was available.

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: June 16, 2022, 03:05:45 PM
Yup. Executives were going for stupid money when Vic supposedly announced they were discontinuing the model, only to change course due to popular demand.

us Offline Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #3 on: June 16, 2022, 04:30:03 PM
I've also noticed this phenomenon, especially when looking at discontinued Leatherman tools. Some of the discontinued SAKs go for crazy money, too. Makes me glad American-made Camillus and Schrade knives can still be found at reasonable enough prices.
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: June 16, 2022, 04:55:49 PM
It didn't take me long to figure out I was exactly who you describe  :D.  I wanted all the discontinued LMs.  Then when I was looking for SAKs the same darn thing, every one I wanted was discontinued. 

We want what we cannot have or something like that. 
Esse Quam Videri

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: June 16, 2022, 07:15:22 PM
It didn't take me long to figure out I was exactly who you describe  :D.  I wanted all the discontinued LMs.  Then when I was looking for SAKs the same darn thing, every one I wanted was discontinued. 

If that's the case, then I really don't want ten million dollars.   :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: June 16, 2022, 11:16:07 PM

Or we want what we might not be able to have later (Scarcity is a huge sales thing, how many ads/pitches have "don't miss out" or "limited time only" in them? It's a massive driver, and everyone knows it. To the point where in some jurisdictions, a company *deliberately* over advertising something they know they don't have sufficient stock to meet projected sales is an offence.

The other one is Exclusivity, or "We want what someone else can't have"
another standard motivator, whether it's a badge at work that says your special and no one else has that badge, or a car that is technically identical to the "standard" run model but it has red stitching on the seats and is a limited run of 500 or something.

Is it better than the one the peasants can buy? of course not, but the fact that it is marginally different, and limited makes it apparently more valuable.....

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #7 on: June 17, 2022, 05:39:55 AM
Yup, da FOMO can definitely play too big a part in purchasing decisions. Speaking of, I think I want one or two of those Swiss Knife Shop green Alox Bantams...

:facepalm:

Edit: da FOMO got me. Green Bantams hopefully arriving next week!

:ahhh :ahhh :ahhh
« Last Edit: June 17, 2022, 05:46:52 AM by Farmer X »
USN 2000-2006

us Offline Sos24

Reply #8 on: June 17, 2022, 06:01:18 AM
For me, it wasn’t the lure of discontinued.  It has been me figuring out the toolset and style I really want, only to discover it had existed but was discontinued.

I remember loving the Compact for its thin footprint.  Then I discovered how much I liked the magnify glass and phillips layer but preferred thinner SAKs.  I found myself wishing there was a hybrid between the two.  Someone mentioned that I would like and should get a Yeoman.  I went to buy one only to discover, it had been discontinued.

Similar happened with wishing the 85mm SAKs came without EvoGrips or 84mm SAKs had scissors.  I was too late again.

Then their is my wish for a bladeless and saw-less Leatherman.  It did exist at one time as the knifeless Fuse.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: June 17, 2022, 06:32:13 AM
It’s an interesting phenomenon, and I think there are several factors in play.

One group is the interested but reluctant buyers.  These folks have some interest in the model, but for one reason or another (not totally sold on it, other priorities on a limited budget, etc.) hadn’t actually bought one.  But when they learn it’s being discontinued, they’re quick to make the purchase.

Another group is the diehard fans.  They already own at least one of the model in question, and carry and use it regularly, if not daily.  When they hear it is being discontinued, they rush to lay in a lifetime supply.

A third group is the speculators.  They don’t have much (if any) intrinsic interest in the tool, but they buy up what they can once the news breaks that the tool is discontinued, because they’re sure the value is going to skyrocket.  (Sometimes they’re right about this, and sometimes they’re wrong.)

I’ve also found it odd that dealers often discount their remaining stock of discontinued models.  If I were a dealer, I’d strongly consider raising the price on my remaining stock of discontinued models.

Finally, when it comes to MTs and SAKs, designs and options are so much more varied than with knives, I think it’s inevitable that some people look at a discontinued SAK or MT and think “that would have been just perfect for me”.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #10 on: June 17, 2022, 06:51:02 AM
Wenger....  When they were being discontinued the shops had them all on sale, trying to get rid of them and now people want them.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline cody6268

Reply #11 on: June 18, 2022, 04:33:27 PM
Wenger....  When they were being discontinued the shops had them all on sale, trying to get rid of them and now people want them.

Here in the US, a national closeout retailer, Tuesday Morning, got a large number of them. I know I bought my first, the Microlight Esquire, around the time Vic bought Wenger. Think it cost $10?

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #12 on: June 19, 2022, 12:41:50 AM
Here in the US, a national closeout retailer, Tuesday Morning, got a large number of them.
If only I'd known that eight years ago!
USN 2000-2006

us Offline cody6268

Reply #13 on: June 19, 2022, 01:11:39 AM
If only I'd known that eight years ago!

They sold really quick. The advert circular in our local paper showed them in all sizes. I finally got there a week later as a teen, and I if I recall correctly, the Esquire was the only one still hanging in the display.

Offline inLine4

Reply #14 on: August 21, 2022, 11:54:03 PM
One of my favorites the Benchmade 365BK was discontinued last year and now they are very hard to find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: August 22, 2022, 11:49:41 AM
Benchmade is a great company but they have an odd practice of discontinuing products after 6 months to a year, then issuing a very similar model in a slightly different color and a new name.

Keep your eyes peeled- if it was popular, it may be back.

Def

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: August 22, 2022, 04:02:27 PM
Everything GEC has made is limited, making most of their products have the “discontinued” effect. Have been on the hunt for one of these for a reasonable price. They originally sold for about 75 bucks, I saw one go for 290 the other day…

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: August 22, 2022, 10:51:33 PM
Manufactured scarcity.   :facepalm:

Always a fail when done by a big company in my mind.

Def

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: August 23, 2022, 12:28:22 AM
I like when companies make "limited" and "unlimited" editions. Make 100 with X/100 and an extra star on it for the collectors, and let the rest of us buy them for 1/4 the price. That extra money can (hopefully) go towards R&D for real (new tools, etc.) new products.

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: August 23, 2022, 01:55:03 AM
Manufactured scarcity.   :facepalm:

Always a fail when done by a big company in my mind.

Def

GEC isn’t exactly a big company from what I understand. They could choose to be if they wanted to though. I guess I’d rather the QC stay great rather than mass production style.

us Offline cody6268

Reply #20 on: August 23, 2022, 10:52:34 PM
Everything GEC has made is limited, making most of their products have the “discontinued” effect. Have been on the hunt for one of these for a reasonable price. They originally sold for about 75 bucks, I saw one go for 290 the other day…

No one wanted the things for almost two years (same with the Sodbusters)--and then early 2020, everyone was sold out and they started going for stupid money.

I had meant to get one, as it's one of the few "razor" openers that are sharp enough at the tip to easily hook on a pocket and open as intended.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: August 23, 2022, 11:10:32 PM
GEC isn’t exactly a big company from what I understand. They could choose to be if they wanted to though. I guess I’d rather the QC stay great rather than mass production style.

They are a small company.

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: August 24, 2022, 02:29:37 AM
No one wanted the things for almost two years (same with the Sodbusters)--and then early 2020, everyone was sold out and they started going for stupid money.

I had meant to get one, as it's one of the few "razor" openers that are sharp enough at the tip to easily hook on a pocket and open as intended.

Wish I had bought one back then. Seems like a nice minimalist edc knife to be carried as an only knife. Two blades, one of them one handed opening and locking. A pry bar/screwdriver built in without using up another blade.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #23 on: August 24, 2022, 06:55:31 AM
From a collectors point of view, it is best to buy when the item is in production and can be bought at current prices. Trying to buy things once discontinued is a fools game of hemorraging money, and battling scarcity.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #24 on: August 24, 2022, 07:04:36 AM
Speaking of GEC

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,46155.0.html

We have only ourselves to thank or blame depending on what side you're on.  I'm thankful to have 3 GECs but theres no way I'll pay secondary prices.  They're nice and kudos to those who get them.  If you read early talk on them they were not the hot commodities they are now.  It was just another company selling knives.  Not sure what the turn was but good for them.   

Esse Quam Videri

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #25 on: August 24, 2022, 08:02:06 AM
Speaking of GEC

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,46155.0.html

We have only ourselves to thank or blame depending on what side you're on.  I'm thankful to have 3 GECs but theres no way I'll pay secondary prices.  They're nice and kudos to those who get them.  If you read early talk on them they were not the hot commodities they are now.  It was just another company selling knives.  Not sure what the turn was but good for them.   

Fantastic value - I am shocked nobody has bought it, yet.

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #26 on: August 24, 2022, 08:04:01 AM
The funny thing is that current European prices are about the same as US expensive secondary prices on GEC.

I have some Queen knives that were produced in small numbers, lets say 30 pieces for the cover, that were sitting around for a decade before anybody bought them. 

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #27 on: August 24, 2022, 08:11:45 AM
Note: Looking for a live Dodo or mammoth - PM me if you happen to have one

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #28 on: August 24, 2022, 04:02:53 PM
I am so glad I scooped up the disco'd LMs when I did.  Thankfully that was one are I was early on.  Totally missed Wenger.  I also missed GEC.  I will say as my years have added up in this hobby I've learned things become available so all is not lost.

Esse Quam Videri

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #29 on: August 24, 2022, 04:32:19 PM
Given the pr8ces these things are listed for on eBay right now I feel like I could retire tomorrow.   :facepalm:

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%