Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Re-thinking this collecting thing

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Re-thinking this collecting thing
Reply #30 on: July 22, 2022, 04:15:33 PM
 :iagree:

I began with the intent to collect the retired LMs.  As more were retired I thought I'd collect what was of interest to me.  This meant pretty much anything I saw was interesting especially if I didn't have it  ;).  I dipped my toe in the MrPinchy and PST/JPST collecting but that stopped.  I am pretty much done actively seeking plier based tools however with the caveat that I can change my mind at any time. 

I would not pass on some of the harder to get tools.  For now my collection is uncounted but I have some that I am very happy to have stumbled upon. 

Now I need to figure out what I am doing with my love of traditional folders.   
Esse Quam Videri

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #31 on: July 22, 2022, 06:56:17 PM
I have to admit that I have a very loose collection of vintage pocket knives.  I have the idea that it would be nice to own a few more from some of the big Sheffield names.  Part of the fun for me is looking for a bargain. 
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #32 on: July 23, 2022, 05:22:18 AM
 :iagree:

Love a good bargain.  I've not been to the flea market and even when I went recently I was not as quick to purchase just anything.  Its got to really stand out for whatever reasons.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Farmer X

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master of the unexciting
Reply #33 on: July 23, 2022, 05:35:38 AM
Stoopid Leatherman prices on the secondary market made that decision easy for me. With the prices of new ones, I have to consider such purchases very carefully. The thing with the SAKs worked itself out, as did the thing with the trads.
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

gb Offline Chippyjosh

Reply #34 on: July 23, 2022, 12:12:27 PM
I sold most of my collection a few years ago keeping only a wave. Building them back up now but regret selling things like a juice s2

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #35 on: July 23, 2022, 04:59:09 PM
I hear ya.  I gave, sold, traded a few that I am now somewhat regretting.  I glad they went to good homes tho. 

When I think about my collection, my first thought is I hope my kids and grandkids will appreciated if for no other reason that their usefulness. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #36 on: July 24, 2022, 05:22:13 AM
I had some regret about trading my little blue Case 102109W. But that's completely gone, as I know Aloha has enjoyed it quite a bit. I more regret those that got caught up in the shuffles of my umpteen moves.
USN 2000-2006

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #37 on: July 24, 2022, 04:32:59 PM
 :salute: That little one has stole pocket time since arriving.  Its a stunner but its such a useable little knife as well.  I am forever grateful thats for sure. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #38 on: September 14, 2022, 08:35:12 AM
Time to revisit this thread, as the topic recently came back to the forefront of my mind.

I haven't checked eBay for discontinued Leatherman tools lately, and that's probably a good thing. My Leatherman collection will never be at the level of Poncho's or Chako's, anyway. :D I awlso haven't been looking for traditionals much, either. I have quite a few traditionals as it is, and one of my favorite patterns is not city-compliant.

Instead, I've decided that Victorinox and Opinel are the ways to go, and from here on out they will be getting the lion's share of the money I spend on knives and multis.

It's true that I have my misgivings about Victorinox. However, their products have consistently met my needs and been of high quality for the 30-plus years I've been using them (awlmost three-quarters of my lifetime). I haven't been using Opinels nearly as long, but they have consistently met my needs and been of high quality as well. How they can sell fine quality gear at such low prices has me mystified.

Spending money will have to wait a while longer. Lately I've enjoyed being happy with what I have...as regards knives and multis, anyhow.
USN 2000-2006

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: September 22, 2022, 05:05:12 AM
I don't get hoarding collecting. We all die and you can't take it with you. What's the point in having hoards of crap you never use? Also, why die and leave all that junk for other people to sort out?

but if makes you happy *shrugs*

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #40 on: September 22, 2022, 07:09:04 AM
Its enjoyment.  Nothing more.  Its spending 100 bucks on a steak only to digest it hours later.  Its enjoyment.  Nothing more. 
Esse Quam Videri

no Offline nakken

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: September 22, 2022, 09:35:33 AM
Why work hard for a lifetime if you're never to allow yourself something nice. We all need hobbies, and if you treat your tools right there is a good chance that you will get the money you spent back. :tu:

My fiancée finds joy in spending $100 on a vase. I do the same for a tool, but at least mine is used. :whistle:

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: September 22, 2022, 01:08:55 PM
Hey, i get it. Do what makes ya happy because who knows how long you got on this earth. Me, i've just always felt weighed down by too much stuff. 

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #43 on: September 22, 2022, 04:06:57 PM
I was such a minimalist, so much so that when we moved in to our new home and had our first visitors they asked when we were moving in  :rofl:.  I rarely if ever had anything on counters or end tables other than what was necessary. 

I still am to an extent.  As to this hobby, I went thru several stages of lamenting over my collection.  I've mentioned it a few times.  What finally got me to stop was taking time to look over what I had.  I came to appreciate each piece.  Another thing I did was make a spread sheet listing each item, what it was, how much I paid, and a quick value range. 

What was really fun was use the things I wanted to use without worry of damage.  My entire collection can easily be stored in a medium sized container. 

The sum total of all things purchased since 2012 vs what I can get or my kids can get including the hassle to ship is totally worth it. 

We'll leave our loved ones stuff its hard not to.  I'm glad the stuff I'll leave will have some value both monetarily and more importantly emotionally.  My kids know I enjoy these things.  I'll be a grandfather soon so I hope to excite him about this hobby. 

Lastly, I made notations as to which items are my favorites hoping my kids keep those.  The stuff I carry often and the stuff thats personal to me. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: September 22, 2022, 04:09:09 PM
I recently sold these 3 knives just to buy the sebenza. I havent added to my “collection” without selling or trading in years probably. I enjoy having a small group of SAKs, but I’m trending towards getting rid of stuff to purchase high quality gear that I can carry every day without feeling the need to buy more knives. I think there is something appealing about just carrying one knife and watching it wear and age with you.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #45 on: September 22, 2022, 04:23:18 PM
 :like:  That such a great way to do things.  Leveling up is a wonderful way upgrade gear.  This hobby is so interesting.  I've leveled up over time as well. 

I love hearing about folks who reach their end point if you will with gear.  That one knife they carry day in and day out.  That one SAK that is the end all be all. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #46 on: September 22, 2022, 05:15:14 PM
I've just always felt weighed down by too much stuff.
I understand that more and more these days.

I love hearing about folks who reach their end point if you will with gear.
I'm likely contradicting my previous statement here, but I doubt I'll ever reach that point. However, an Alox Bantam can handle probably at least 90 percent of the tasks I encounter. Soon I hope to be able to awlways have one handy.
USN 2000-2006

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: September 22, 2022, 07:05:50 PM
:like:  That such a great way to do things.  Leveling up is a wonderful way upgrade gear.  This hobby is so interesting.  I've leveled up over time as well. 

I love hearing about folks who reach their end point if you will with gear.  That one knife they carry day in and day out.  That one SAK that is the end all be all.

Thanks! I have done something similar with my “SAK” although it’s not really a sak. I traded my wenger 63 blackout and standard 63 off for a GEC 2AB, which I traded for a GEC 35 Camp Knife, which I could see becoming a permanent part of my edc. One of these days I’ll go down the same route for flashlights and get a nice US made light. Those are harder to come by.

us Offline dimledger

• Kilroy Was Here
Reply #48 on: September 22, 2022, 08:03:27 PM
My rule for collecting knives is that I can own as many as I want, provided they all fit in a container the size of a cigar box.

That said, I would eventually like to trim things down to a total of six or seven favorites.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2022, 08:11:08 PM by dimledger »

no Offline nakken

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: September 22, 2022, 08:08:53 PM
My rule for collecting knives is that I can own as many as I want, provided they all fit in a container the size of a cigar box.
Ah yes, like this one :rofl:

us Offline dimledger

• Kilroy Was Here
Reply #50 on: September 22, 2022, 08:12:56 PM
Ah yes, like this one :rofl:

I don't know, that one might be a bit on the small side.

no Offline nakken

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: September 22, 2022, 09:13:38 PM
I don't know, that one might be a bit on the small side.
:rofl:

All jokes aside, I agree. My tiny collection can fit in this small storage box.

* 20220922_211039.jpg (Filesize: 96.46 KB)

no Offline aicolainen

Reply #52 on: October 03, 2022, 04:14:04 PM
I don't consider myself a collector or hoarder, but I seem to have a dominant nerd gene and as such have a tendency to immerse myself a bit deep when I develop an interest for something. How else can you really learn?
I sometimes take it a bit too far though, like I did with pocket knives and wrist watches, but thankfully I'm still very much in the safe zone with regards to MTs.
With folding knives I actually convinced myself I could justify some type of a collection. I didn't come very far on that collection before realizing that I only get real enjoyment from use, and the ones sitting in drawers does nothing for me.

I'm not good at selling stuff, so in some categories my inventory is still a bit more numerous than I'd like, but that's partly because the secondary market in Norway is very limited, so it can be hard to get a decent price for any item that would normally generate some interest in a market with a certain percentage of enthusiasts.

Despite a slow sell-off that may make it seem otherwise, my rule of thumb has evolved to only keep or buy items in one of four categories:
1. Sees regular use
2. Sentimental value. E.g. something from my childhood, inherited items or a special gift. Gifts in and of themselves are not sentimental. Most gifts are non-intentional, barely useful items gifted by persons who feel obligated to follow modern consumerist gifting traditions
3. Art. Not actual art, but items that can act as art. Typically I've invested in paintings or similar for decoration purposes, but in some rooms where it's not out of place I'll rather spend that money on decorative items that reflect my interests, like old, historically relevant firearms, cutlery and tools
4. Emergency or stash items. Things you may not need very often, or hope to not need at all, but that you wouldn't be without if the need arise. E.g. the toolkits in my vehicles. I usually buy affordable, high value "stash and forget" items for this purpose, but also relegate some surplus quality gear that failed to earn or keep a spot in my user rotation (nice way to spell misguided investment).

I'm a torn soul. I appreciate good tools, but I also despite unnecessary, non-intentional consumption. One doesn't necessary exclude the other, but it's a fine line to walk, and I'm afraid if there wasn't for all the hoarders and collectors out there, things like SAKs and LMs would be vastly more expensive or not exist at all.

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #53 on: December 07, 2022, 06:23:04 AM
For whatever reason, I feel compelled to post here again.

I've been going through my trads again, and enjoying them. There are indeed a few that I will never part with. I have discovered that I like having a clip blade or two, and I'd like more toothpicks and muskrats. My SAK interests are really drifting toward Alox and logos, so I'll be focusing primarily (if not solely) on those. Apparently I don't have anywhere enough Opinels. Never mind my growing interest in fixed blades! Right now, the only way I can accomplish those missions is to sell stuff. And now isn't really the right time for that.

So, probably around the beginning of next year, it'll be time to put a lot of stuff up for sale.
USN 2000-2006

us Offline Legend

Reply #54 on: December 07, 2022, 06:27:56 AM
Everyone has to go on their own paths.  Thanks for sharing.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #55 on: December 07, 2022, 09:54:22 PM
I've got a whole load of SAKs that I really don't carry, let alone use.  However I did carry them at one point and I may have a change of heart again and want to put them back in my pocket.  I'd never get my money back by selling them either (bar one or two more collectable examples). 
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #56 on: December 07, 2022, 10:05:00 PM
Going thru our things is a great.  Once in a while a thorough look can sometimes spark interest in something we once had interest in.  I've often times didn't connect with something then rediscovered it and was like, how did I not love this.  The Skeletool is one such item.   The Champion another. 

I'm currently playing with a OG Juice S2.  Still mixed feelings but fun. 

Esse Quam Videri

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #57 on: December 08, 2022, 07:13:35 PM
I have been buying several traditional knives lately, based on how cute they look. Some are currently used or will be when they arrive. Most are just eye candy. Not that many SAKs, mainly a few LE ones. No interest in multitools lately, nothing interested me and I am not really following the new releases.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #58 on: December 08, 2022, 07:52:43 PM
 :like:

Eye candy is more than enough reason to buy. 
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline Altis

Reply #59 on: December 09, 2022, 07:34:17 AM
I don't try to complete a collection, more it's just a "collection" of the SAKs I want to have.

I've given a few away over the past couple of years as they make great gifts, so I'm down in numbers. There's a couple of models I'd like to have still just to fill a void in use case, but I don't set out to collect all the models and colors (tempting as it may be).

I only have one SAK that isn't a 'user' -- a Spartan PS white/black stormtrooper look. I will probably find a time to carry it at some point but it's just such a looker in pristine condition. So it isn't a collection that must sit -- more like a fleet to choose from.

I have two SAKs with sentimental value (my first and second, both gifts from my parents when I was younger), but even they are users despite being sentimental and expensive models (discontinued Woodsman and Cybertool 34/M). The CT34 is a daily user for engineering work and the Woodsman sometimes comes out in the woods. I'd be very upset to lose it (and thought I lost both) but I'd rather enjoy them than worry and have them sit idle their whole lives.

I certainly see the appeal and fun in having a huge collection to showcase and experience all the different models and varieties of finishes. At least they're not massive in size  :whistle:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%