Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Hello and a question

00 Offline MattRhorn

• New User
Hello and a question
on: June 17, 2022, 07:59:41 AM
Greetings! This is my first post but I have lurked for quite a while. I will eventually try to post some pictures of my modest but much-enjoyed collection.
I would like some thoughts/opinions though.
I'll be heading to Edinburgh in August for the Fringe Festival. I'd like to take a SAK with me but don't want overdue it or run afoul of authorities so any input is appreciated.
Currently I am considering the Sportsman as I need a good nail file but would like the basic SAK toolset as well.
What would you bring for a month in Edinburgh, Scotland?
Thanks, all!

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Re: Hello and a question
Reply #1 on: June 17, 2022, 08:19:47 AM
The Sportsman is an excellent choice as it seems to cover all your bases. Otherwise take the Classic combo: a Spartan or Tourist for the small blade & openers & awl and a 58mm for scissors & a nail file.  :)
Rambler

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #2 on: June 17, 2022, 08:24:12 AM
After a moment's more thought, the Evolution 14 has the Sportsman's toolset with scissors, so you can scrub the 58mm & enjoy carrying a single knife.  :cheers:
Rambler

us Offline Swisster

• Ambassador of SAK's
Reply #3 on: June 17, 2022, 12:51:03 PM
the 580 Nailclip has a good file , blade , scissors and the nail clipper along with the scale tools and fits easy into the 5th pocket and way better of a knife than the Classic SD and super compact. It's the best grooming tool Victorinox makes

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Reply #4 on: June 17, 2022, 12:56:44 PM
This may sound silly, and a bit of a cop-out... but it all depends on what you consider to be the basic SAK toolset, and what you personally feel you just cannot be without.

For example, I personally feel the Climber is the current basic and suspect that is the reason there's one painted on the side of Victorinox HQ, as well as it being the only one with its own forum emoticon here:
 :climber:

For me personally, I cannot be without an inline Phillips, so I'll go for my Huntsman Lite or my Explorer, the latter of which is bulkier than expected but also lighter. However, I sometimes also carry a Sportsman and love it to bits, so I don't think you'd go too far wrong with that.

Another option for the sort of combo Sawl mentioned is a Classic non-SD (for the pointy nail cleaner tip on the file), and a Tinker or Tinker Small, as this would still give you a Phillips on the back layers. I have the Small, myself.

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: June 17, 2022, 03:21:02 PM
This may sound silly, and a bit of a cop-out... but it all depends on what you consider to be the basic SAK toolset, and what you personally feel you just cannot be without.

For example, I personally feel the Climber is the current basic and suspect that is the reason there's one painted on the side of Victorinox HQ, as well as it being the only one with its own forum emoticon here:
 :climber:

Not to derail, but I think the knife on the side of HQ is a pre-hook Huntsman. https://www.reuters.com/news/picture/swiss-army-knife-makers-branch-out-idUSL09957620080110

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Reply #6 on: June 17, 2022, 03:51:27 PM
Not to derail, but I think the knife on the side of HQ is a pre-hook Huntsman. https://www.reuters.com/news/picture/swiss-army-knife-makers-branch-out-idUSL09957620080110
That one is, yes, and also the reason I believe the Huntsman to be the most iconic model.
But I'd swear there was also a Climber on the end wall of the southernmost building, although most photos seem to show an advertising billboard there now... and IIRC, there was a third painting on the corner adjoining the Huntsman one?

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #7 on: June 17, 2022, 05:05:21 PM
Welcome aboard, MattRhorn!

:cheers: :salute:

Have you thought about an Executive? A little smaller, so less "threatening", and has scissors. Plus an orange peeler!
https://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Executive+74mm&highlight=executive

:tu: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #8 on: June 17, 2022, 05:51:21 PM
Welcome from London  :waving:

As others have said it depends on your needs. As for falling foul of the authorities just make sure its non locking and less than 3 inches (7.62cm)

OHO is fine but really, no locking blade of ANY length, or be prepared to explain your need for one and risk losing it, or worse. Don't forget that most tourist attractions, castle etc will have a strict NO carry entry condition, like most of the UK  ::)

Maybe a Cadet - Reasonable size but still slim & you can't go wrong with a Spartan.

Maybe a SwissCard and a Tinker  :dunno:

You could, of course just buy one when you're here* and check it in on the way home or gift it to a taxi driver/hotel staff or one of our Scottish members  :whistle:

*You might even find a Tartan Spartan  :viking: :rofl:

They don't like it up 'em!

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: June 17, 2022, 05:53:57 PM
Welcome from London  :waving:

As others have said it depends on your needs. As for falling foul of the authorities just make sure its non locking and less than 3 inches (7.62cm)

OHO is fine but really, no locking blade of ANY length, or be prepared to explain your need for one and risk losing it, or worse. Don't forget that most tourist attractions, castle etc will have a strict NO carry entry condition, like most of the UK  ::)

I'd go with a Cadet if you need a reasonable size but still slim and you can't go wrong with a Spartan.

Maybe a SwissCard and a Tinker  :dunno:

You could, of course just buy one when you're here* and check it in on the way home or gift it to a taxi driver/hotel staff or one of our Scottish members  :whistle:

You mean a Spartartan?!

:think: :think:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #10 on: June 17, 2022, 05:56:37 PM
You mean a Spartartan?!

:think: :think:

You need to get out more  :pok: :twak:

That said I did just buy Mrs Surge a Spurtle  :facepalm:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spurtle

us Online Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #11 on: June 17, 2022, 06:58:15 PM
One more thing for me to opportunistically seek out.

A welcome aboard to MattRhorn! One model I'm surprised nobody has mentioned yet is the Rambler. Unless you absolutely must have the can opener and/or a larger frame, that could be a really good choice.
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

00 Offline MattRhorn

• New User
Reply #12 on: June 18, 2022, 03:31:32 AM
Thanks for the feedback, all! Great food for thought.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: June 18, 2022, 06:02:09 PM
You need to get out more  :pok: :twak:

That said I did just buy Mrs Surge a Spurtle  :facepalm:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spurtle

Is that a Spartan Turtle?!

:D :D

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #14 on: June 18, 2022, 06:49:09 PM
Is that a Spartan Turtle?!

:D :D

I refer to my previous comment  :facepalm: :whistle:

Offline Helvetica Bold

Reply #15 on: June 19, 2022, 12:35:39 AM
I think a manger on your keys would be okay for most scenarios and has an awesome toolkit I’m a tiny format. I also liked the nailclip 580 as already mentioned.

au Online Echotech

Reply #16 on: June 19, 2022, 06:03:27 AM
…. Don't forget that most tourist attractions, castle etc will have a strict NO carry entry condition, like most of the UK  ::)

Hadn’t thought about that for my upcoming trip Surge, have a manager or rambler on me always and was thinking of traveling with a compact. Happy to leave the compact in the hotel but the manager  :ahhh

Think I’ll have any issues?

Offline Helvetica Bold

Reply #17 on: June 19, 2022, 09:07:23 AM
I can’t say for definite but no venue has even batted an eyelid at my manager to date. Some may be stricter than I have experience of but it’s been into a good cross section already. Maybe a jetsetter is the safest bet with no blade or even something like a shark key chain multi tool that is completely non-threatening  but quite feature rich?

au Online Echotech

Reply #18 on: June 19, 2022, 09:41:22 AM
I can’t say for definite but no venue has even batted an eyelid at my manager to date. Some may be stricter than I have experience of but it’s been into a good cross section already. Maybe a jetsetter is the safest bet with no blade or even something like a shark key chain multi tool that is completely non-threatening  but quite feature rich?

Thanks HB, I’ll stick with the manager and see how I go. Visit the UK often and haven’t previously had any problems with it but things may have changed after four years and covid, so thought I’d ask :tu:
 :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD