Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Budget Drill Recommendations?

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Budget Drill Recommendations?
on: June 20, 2022, 05:57:51 PM
Missus and I are looking to get a drill of our own, ideally something reasonably priced and available on US Amazon, any recommendations?
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Re: Budget Drill Recommendations?
Reply #1 on: June 21, 2022, 02:06:48 PM
Missus and I are looking to get a drill of our own, ideally something reasonably priced and available on US Amazon, any recommendations?

More info needed:

Intended usage/s ?
Battery/Mains ?  If battery, do you already have a platform ?
Hammer/Plain drilling ?
2 speed ?
Frequency of use ?
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Reply #2 on: June 21, 2022, 02:54:31 PM
Hammer drill, power drill, hand drill, pillar drill, bench drill....?
Why Amazon US? You're in Wales, aren't you?

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: June 21, 2022, 03:03:49 PM
Sorry, entirely new to the world of drills! Hand drill, ideally battery powered, occasional use primarily for home DIY (e.g. putting up curtain rods). No other powertools so open to whatever platforms.

I have no idea about speeds and what not  :dunno:
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: June 21, 2022, 03:04:55 PM
Hammer drill, power drill, hand drill, pillar drill, bench drill....?
Why Amazon US? You're in Wales, aren't you?

Currently yes, but I'll be moving back and forth between Wales and Texas roughly three months at a time with a view to move there when visas allow.

gb Offline Tasky

Reply #5 on: June 21, 2022, 07:08:20 PM
IMO, budget kit isn't necessarily worth it.
It's cheap, but that also means it typically fails either on first use or when you really need it to fix a sudden issue... or it just doesn't deliver in the first place (won't take the right bit size, lacks power, etc), meaning you end up buying the more expensive one in the end, assuming the failure doesn't actually exacerbate the issue and spoil any chances you had of DIYing it.

I can only guess at Texas, but you can always check - Over here, Milwaukee and Makita are two very good brands, though perhaps rather pricey.
DeWalt is probably a bit hoofing for home use, generally speaking, but can be found cheap-ish and is relatively solid.
Ryobi used to be very budget (and IMO still is, a bit) but is getting better.
Black & Decker is quite cheap nowadays, as is Bosch, though both can be hit and miss as to whether you get something good or the Made In China flimsy version.

I personally have some newer B&D kit, along with some second hand DeWalt. The higher end is often worth it on the second hand market.

Most brands seem to be leaning toward whole ranges of cordless tools that all share the same battery. So your drill battery might also work in your circular saw, your hedge trimmer, your sander, and so on... Worth considering if you like the pros of such a system, but also worth bearing in mind if the cons to being stuck with one brand's proprietary ecosystem concern you...

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: June 21, 2022, 07:47:43 PM
I don't mind a single battery ecosystem as long as the brand has good reputations, and I guess I should clarify what I mean on budget.

I know better than no-name Chinese made things that are more likely to do wrong than be by right. I don't, however, know anything about drills at all. So I don't know what features etc. are over and above what I actually need, like if I like at a Ryobi or Makita, which model is actually suitable to what I want vs something more capable (and expensive) than what I need?

I'll only ever be drilling into drywall, timber, plastic, and maybe metal on the odd occasion, so something capable of pounding through masonry would be a bit much. The problem with not knowing these things means it's also hard to convey what you mean and want  :facepalm:

gb Offline Tasky

Reply #7 on: June 21, 2022, 10:04:09 PM
Well... I've been doing this DIY stuff off and on for about two decades.
In that time I've always found that a slow-start feature is essential, ie the more you pull the trigger the faster it gets, but it also starts off turning veeeeeeeeeeery slowly, like at hand-turning speed. Good for getting the hole started on the mark, but quite essential for anything metal. Sometimes they also have a Low/High speed switch.

Something else very beneficial is the torque collar, where the mechanism disengages if you try to exceed a certain level of torque. Mostly this is to stop you overtightening screws when in drill-driver mode, but can also help prevent damage to drill bits if you hit a knot or something.

A hammer action can be useful for light masonry drilling which, like many SAK tools, I never thought I'd use but has come in handy surprisingly often.
I generally would say 18v is the minimum power you'd want, to cover all bases.

These days, I think just about all of them will have every one of these features anyway.

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #8 on: June 23, 2022, 05:52:56 PM
Well... I've been doing this DIY stuff off and on for about two decades.
In that time I've always found that a slow-start feature is essential, ie the more you pull the trigger the faster it gets, but it also starts off turning veeeeeeeeeeery slowly, like at hand-turning speed. Good for getting the hole started on the mark, but quite essential for anything metal. Sometimes they also have a Low/High speed switch.

Something else very beneficial is the torque collar, where the mechanism disengages if you try to exceed a certain level of torque. Mostly this is to stop you overtightening screws when in drill-driver mode, but can also help prevent damage to drill bits if you hit a knot or something.

A hammer action can be useful for light masonry drilling which, like many SAK tools, I never thought I'd use but has come in handy surprisingly often.
I generally would say 18v is the minimum power you'd want, to cover all bases.

These days, I think just about all of them will have every one of these features anyway.

Trading sheep for cows eh  :think:

I agree with Tasky  :iagree: :like:
They don't like it up 'em!

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: June 24, 2022, 01:15:58 AM
I can recommend Bosch. I've had drills from all the main companies over the years and Bosch has been the most reliable so far.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #10 on: June 24, 2022, 04:01:08 AM
I don't mind a single battery ecosystem as long as the brand has good reputations, and I guess I should clarify what I mean on budget.

I know better than no-name Chinese made things that are more likely to do wrong than be by right. I don't, however, know anything about drills at all. So I don't know what features etc. are over and above what I actually need, like if I like at a Ryobi or Makita, which model is actually suitable to what I want vs something more capable (and expensive) than what I need?

I'll only ever be drilling into drywall, timber, plastic, and maybe metal on the odd occasion, so something capable of pounding through masonry would be a bit much. The problem with not knowing these things means it's also hard to convey what you mean and want  :facepalm:

I suggest you look at the Ryobi 18V regular drill (not hammer) plus at least 1 extra battery (at least 2.5Amp) or a kit with charger plus extra battery.  Brushless versions are supposed to be better (more power, more efficient, no brushes to wear out if you use it a lot) but they cost more, so may be more drill than you really need.
Going with the Ryobi 18V ecosystem gives you lots of options if you want more tools in the future.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

gb Offline Chippyjosh

Reply #11 on: July 19, 2022, 12:57:41 PM
Bosch make good drills. I have a 12v pro system for work. The DIY green brand would probably suit you.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #12 on: July 19, 2022, 01:35:56 PM
The awl of a Victorinox should be all a man needs!!!!

I have had and had various drills, from no name brands to the most common brands like Bosch and Black & Decker.

For light use they all work fine.  We burned a Bosch mixing paint, but that was operator's fault.  Some LIDL drills did not last long, and were a bit weak.

I currently have / use an oldish 910W geared Black and Decker and a newish 18V geared one, same brand, as well as a cheap no-name one I have on a drill press. Maybe I have a few more somewhere.

The battery ones are getting quite good, especially if combined with gears and should cover most of your needs. Make sure the battery is powerful enough (18V+), has good capacity and is made by a company that will continue making them, or it is of a universal type. I have had  in the past to bin perfectly working drills because I could not find new batteries for them.  I would not worry to much about the Brand, if it is a known one, or where it is made.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: December 18, 2022, 11:55:43 PM
If you are going to be in the States, maybe check out Harbor Freight. I've had decent results with their line of cordless drills.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

england Offline Kev D

Reply #14 on: December 19, 2022, 11:23:34 AM
I've gone fully into the Ryobi One+ battery tools system.  I've not had any problems with them so far and are great for DIY use.

Might be worth checking out the project farm channel on youtube, he tests a lot of tools on there and tries to remove the human factor from all his testing.  He tests a lot of the mid range tools like Ryobi and Harbour Freight against the big boys of Milwaukee & DeWalt.

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: January 27, 2023, 10:35:34 AM
You are all too modern with batteries and whatnot. For budget main power is the thing. I've bought three silly cheap drills over the last 10 years or so.
  • One cost all of 8 USD and has been doing great for regular drilling in various stuff.
  • One was a fancy one with hammer and sparks flying - I think that is a feature. Cost about USD 15 and has quite a decent motor - and a decent overheat protection so when it has had enough it shuts down for a few minutes before it is ready again.
  • And then I splurged on a concrete hammer drill thing. All of USD 40 with some kit. And it works! It is no Bosch or Hilti concrete drill for sure, but it does make proper sized holes in proper concrete. Just a lot slower.

For budget I suggest avoiding batteries. More tool for the money without, and they seem to last longer. I'm seriously considering making a mains adaptor for the battery tools around here too! 
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #16 on: January 27, 2023, 11:29:10 AM
In your position, I'd probably go for something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-Electric-Hammer-EasyImpact-carrying/dp/B093C724YH/ref=sr_1_25?crid=OJL92BLKBWV5&keywords=electric+hammer+drill&qid=1674815049&refinements=p_72%3A419153031&rnid=419152031&sprefix=electric+hammer+drill%2Caps%2C183&sr=8-25

A hammer drill is an absolute must, the screwdriver function is a nice to have. Something like this will probably out last you.

Get an extension lead with an RCD (and remember to uncoil it if using it for prolonged periods).
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD