Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Initial impression of the new Victorinox 1897 Replica

comis · 88 · 4800

gb Offline Rizio Il Ghiro

• No Life Club
Re: Initial impression of the new Victorinox 1897 Replica
Reply #60 on: June 14, 2022, 09:12:04 AM
I agree with Aloha 100%.  It’s too dear for me, but I certainly won’t disparage those who can afford it - I like the look of the homage (I agree that replica is probably an inaccurate term here) and the new fibre scales look interesting. I’ve just noticed that it doesn’t incorporate a bottle opener on the screwdriver - that would stop it being a user, albeit an occasional one, for me!

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #61 on: June 14, 2022, 11:24:37 AM
Just had a call with my dealer (as I was on holidays, mine is still there, ready to be picked up :D).
He had a little insight on the price and it is fairly simple: they are completely hand-assembled in Switzerland with extremely high labor cost + prototyping + sourcing the individual parts + whole planning == high price. Not to mention, Vicrtorinox is a company that wants to make a profit, now think about it, how much profit does it need to be worth the effort. I would actually bet the monetary revenue of this knife was not worth it for Victorinox. However, the advertisement/PR value probably was (after all, this is a knife every EDC/knife/Swiss forum talks about).
« Last Edit: June 14, 2022, 12:51:58 PM by Etherealicer »
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

• No Life Club
Reply #62 on: June 14, 2022, 02:24:42 PM
Good news, Etherealicer! I’m sure you’ll enjoy it!  :tu:I’m just a bit skint at the moment….. :facepalm:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #63 on: June 14, 2022, 03:59:27 PM
@dks  :tu:

Excited for you E.  :woohoo:
Esse Quam Videri

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #64 on: June 14, 2022, 05:10:17 PM
Just had a call with my dealer (as I was on holidays, mine is still there, ready to be picked up :D).
He had a little insight on the price and it is fairly simple: they are completely hand-assembled in Switzerland with extremely high labor cost + prototyping + sourcing the individual parts + whole planning == high price. Not to mention, Vicrtorinox is a company that wants to make a profit, now think about it, how much profit does it need to be worth the effort. I would actually bet the monetary revenue of this knife was not worth it for Victorinox. However, the advertisement/PR value probably was (after all, this is a knife every EDC/knife/Swiss forum talks about).

This makes a lot of sense and I think you are going to enjoy this!  :cheers:

us Offline Farmer X

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master of the unexciting
Reply #65 on: June 15, 2022, 05:35:34 AM
Imagine if every time someone posted a photograph of a GEC or another "premium" knife in the traditional thread people started saying similar things as they do for this release.
There are a few GECs I wouldn't mind having. However, I'm not enamored of their business model and the resultant craziness of secondary market asking prices. In this case, it is the primary market (for want of a better term) price that's nuts.

On the subject of wood and carbon steel: we get a fair bit (sometimes far in excess of our fair share) of rain here in southeast Michigan. I've never had a problem with swelling wood or corrosion on carbon steel. Though it must be said that if I put a knife of multi back in storage, they get a thorough wipe-down every time.

Back to topic...the 1897 replica looks good, but I'm not willing to fork over that kind of scratch for it. However, I do hope that everyone who buys one will enjoy it.
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #66 on: June 17, 2022, 04:22:10 PM
Picked one today, it is smaller than it looks.

One photograph with some relatives

* IMG_20220617_164202-001.jpg (Filesize: 238.67 KB)

* IMG_20220617_164247-001.jpg (Filesize: 143.77 KB)

* IMG_20220617_164312-001.jpg (Filesize: 143.93 KB)

* IMG_20220617_164449.jpg (Filesize: 128.62 KB)
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #67 on: June 17, 2022, 04:58:12 PM
 :tu: Congrats.   

Its really packed well from what it looks.  Sure is nice looking too.  Enjoy. 
Esse Quam Videri

• No Life Club
Reply #68 on: June 17, 2022, 06:06:18 PM
 :iagree: enjoy! :cheers:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #69 on: June 17, 2022, 06:43:59 PM
 :D

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #70 on: June 18, 2022, 12:28:59 AM
Very nice dks. 
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Explorer

• No Life Club
Reply #71 on: June 18, 2022, 02:27:51 AM
That sure is a beauty DKS  :salute: :cheers: :salute:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #72 on: June 18, 2022, 06:07:19 AM
The good thing with modern manufacturing is that they all look the same - all lookers

nl Offline EMZ

Reply #73 on: June 19, 2022, 07:52:26 PM
Has Victorinox published an advertisiment or something alike in pdf-form about this 1897 LE?

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #74 on: June 19, 2022, 08:55:32 PM
Saw one in person at Casco Bay Cutlery today. Beautiful knife. Love the little tab to pull out the can opener, kind of wondering if Vic could bring that back. Didn't pull the trigger, but was grateful to get to check it out and hold it.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #75 on: June 20, 2022, 11:07:35 AM
Picked one today, it is smaller than it looks.

One photograph with some relatives

Awesome to see more comparison pictures, and surely it's a looker!

Has Victorinox published an advertisiment or something alike in pdf-form about this 1897 LE?
There are a couple by Victorinox:

Here there are a few shots of how it was made.

A comparison video to Spartan, made by Vx.

Personally, I find Ulli's video in another thread very informative, offers a lot of behind the scene discussion and info:
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,89257.msg2347735.html#msg2347735

ch Offline Sneider

• No Life Club
Reply #76 on: June 20, 2022, 05:38:25 PM
Just looked what I have for Spartans among my flea market finds to line up a timeline.
(Very incomplete, I know)

If you want to be happy, be.
(Leo Tolstoy)

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #77 on: June 20, 2022, 08:06:33 PM
Just looked what I have for Spartans among my flea market finds to line up a timeline.
(Very incomplete, I know)

Nice group of Spartans Sneider! :like: :tu: :tu:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #78 on: June 20, 2022, 08:33:30 PM
 :like: :iagree:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #79 on: June 21, 2022, 02:43:03 AM
Very cool, Sneider!

au Online Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #80 on: June 21, 2022, 06:36:33 AM
 :iagree:

gb Offline greenbear

• Outdoorsy type and over-opinionated buffoon
Reply #81 on: June 21, 2022, 07:40:36 AM
I am rather impressed by it. Obviously cost is an issue, but looking  at it as a stand alone pocket knife, I like it.

It is interesting times for it to be released. Often after crises people become nostalgic and hark back to what is perceived as "better times". I wonder if manufacturers of all sorts of stuff will be producing "nostalgic" versions of their products in these strangest of times?

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #82 on: June 21, 2022, 12:31:08 PM
Got an update from the guys at Casco Bay Cutlery the other day. There will be a (much smaller) lot of these coming out again in a bit after the "summer holiday" is over. Still only 9999 total (the initial release was ~8K and no confirmation of an unnumbered lot like some people have heard rumors about) but may be worth reaching out to your dealer if you're still looking.

I am rather impressed by it. Obviously cost is an issue, but looking  at it as a stand alone pocket knife, I like it.

It is interesting times for it to be released. Often after crises people become nostalgic and hark back to what is perceived as "better times". I wonder if manufacturers of all sorts of stuff will be producing "nostalgic" versions of their products in these strangest of times?

I suspect this has been in the works (at least at an early planning level) for at least a decade, since they did the 125 Soldier. Releasing an expensive luxury product, in an attempt to cash in on pandemic induced nostalgia, in the middle of a global economic downturn, seems like questionable logic.

us Offline tjfarrington2000

Reply #83 on: June 21, 2022, 07:08:05 PM

Mine just came in the mail! $395 plus tax!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gb Offline greenbear

• Outdoorsy type and over-opinionated buffoon
Reply #84 on: June 22, 2022, 06:55:53 AM
Got an update from the guys at Casco Bay Cutlery the other day. There will be a (much smaller) lot of these coming out again in a bit after the "summer holiday" is over. Still only 9999 total (the initial release was ~8K and no confirmation of an unnumbered lot like some people have heard rumors about) but may be worth reaching out to your dealer if you're still looking.

I suspect this has been in the works (at least at an early planning level) for at least a decade, since they did the 125 Soldier. Releasing an expensive luxury product, in an attempt to cash in on pandemic induced nostalgia, in the middle of a global economic downturn, seems like questionable logic.

On the surface yes but, like many other companies, I am sure that Victorinox had it tough during the pandemic so, I guess, why not try and cash in on that nostalgia. It's certainly got our interest on Multitool  :)

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #85 on: June 22, 2022, 01:26:08 PM

Interesting rumor about the un-numbered, but referencing from previous anniversary LE releases, I doubt they would make more than what they set out to do.

And I too would doubt Vx is trying to 'cash in' on the 'nostalgia' and may even argue that some retail businesses were booming online in the last few years(IIRC, I read something similar on BF about the knife industry, many makers had one of the best years), since some of consumers had extra incoming from not traveling.

On the surface yes but, like many other companies, I am sure that Victorinox had it tough during the pandemic so, I guess, why not try and cash in on that nostalgia. It's certainly got our interest on Multitool  :)
I read the one of the hardest times for Victorinox probably came after the 9/11, with some many retail shops worldwide, many located within the airport terminals selling knives, the ban of knives on flight must have seriously hurt them.

nl Offline EMZ

Reply #86 on: June 23, 2022, 12:00:16 AM
In the website ricardo.ch I found this picture. (source: www.ricardo.ch/de/a/victorinox-1897-replica-full-set-1208120006/)
The picture was posted by someone who wants to sell his LE 1897 knife.
I was suprised by the sticker and the small brochures that can be seen in the box. Has anyone seen these items before?

es Offline Gio_Luso

Reply #87 on: June 25, 2022, 05:33:57 PM
 :like:
Looks great, thanks for sharing.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99