Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wenger scales: as easy to replace as Victorinox scales?

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
We awl have seen how easy it is to replace the scales in a Victorinox model, wether to repair a damaged one or to "upgrade" a model with something personalized.

I don't remember seeing the same with any Wenger model. Do they work the same way? Can they be taken out/put on as easily? Any tips on how to do it safely?

One more thing: are they interchangeable? Can you use Wenger scales in a Victorinox and vice-versa?

Thanks.

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

it Offline Andrew

Re: Wenger scales: as easy to replace as Victorinox scales?
Reply #1 on: June 24, 2022, 02:52:15 PM
It's a little more complicated than Victorinox but you can change the scales in a Wenger. If you search on YouTube there are some videos explaining the process.

Depending on the model, scales from Vic and Wenger are not interchangeable first for the different dimensions (85mm Vs 84/91) and second for the different locking system.

I'm not sure about scales from the delemont series but I think that they don't work for the different structure of older Wenger compared to the delemont Vic. 

Offline ComboTool

Reply #2 on: June 24, 2022, 03:10:56 PM
As far as I know there are three generations (there may be others that I don't know of :dunno:).
- The older Wenger scales attach to embossed clips on the liners.
- The newer Wenger scales attach the same way as Victorinox scales (except on one side there are no collars, instead the pin head has the required shape to attach the scales) but they wrap around the liners. All the Evo scales I've encountered attach this way, but some flat scales do as well.
- The Vic Delémont attach the same way (obviously) but the scales don't wrap around the liners.
As long as you have compatible scales, the techniques used for Victorinox scales (heating an careful lifting to pop out the scales) apply.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #3 on: June 24, 2022, 07:26:00 PM
Thanks for the quick replies. I have an Evo grip Wenger and two saws/springs from another model (wood and metal). I considered the idea of taking the Wenger apart and add the saws, but without having the necessary longer pins to put it back together, I think I'll leave it as it is.

:cheers: :salute:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Offline Helvetica Bold

Reply #4 on: June 25, 2022, 08:45:11 PM
I have exchanged Evo grips scales and it is as straightforward as the Vic   :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%