Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

First SAK mod. Need advice.

Offline bdpf79

• New User
First SAK mod. Need advice.
on: July 10, 2022, 04:27:02 PM
Hi all,

I am looking into doing my very first SAK mod to have a toolset that fits what I need.
So for the past couple of weeks, I have been reading and watching as much about mods as possible, but I still have a couple of questions and I hope I’ll be able to find some guidance here.

So for my tool, I really wanted the inline Philips screwdriver and I don’t want more than 4 layers, so I bought an Explorer as my base.

1st mod I’ll do is to replace the main blade with the serrated blade from my Spartan. This mod will be straight forward.

For the second mod, I was hoping to be able to replace the magnifying glass with some kind of other tool while keeping the inline Philips screwdriver. After looking at all the several SAK models, it doesn’t seem like anything would simply fit nicely there, but if you know of anything, I’m open to suggestions.

Finally, for my 3rd mod, I would like to replace the scissors with the saw from my Hiker while keeping the Hook.
The Saw Liner doesn’t have the cutout for a back tool so I can’t use it, so I would have to use the liner from the scissors.
Without taking the tools apart and just looking though, it seems that the saw and scissors liner are the same, other than the saw liner having a flat surface at the end to accommodate the tip of the saw. Is that correct?
If so, I was planning on using the liner of the scissors and grinding the end so it can fit the tip of the saw.
Another issue is the thickness difference between the hook (2.5mm) and the saw (1.8mm).
For that, I was planning on using brass washers on the saw to compensate for the 0.7mm difference.

What do you all guys think?
Do you think that my mod of replacing the scissors with the saw will work?

Thanks.

Offline Helvetica Bold

Re: First SAK mod. Need advice.
Reply #1 on: July 10, 2022, 09:59:49 PM
You could take the scissors out of a huntsman light! ;0)
Or I think the huntsman light is worth the extra layer to be honest!

I don’t remember having event put a saw on a scissor spring but I think, if it works at all, it will need a bit  of additional grinding. Brass spacers do work though to make up the difference - I do it quite a lot. Quite a lot to fill though.

Offline bdpf79

• New User
Re: First SAK mod. Need advice.
Reply #2 on: July 11, 2022, 01:02:17 AM
Thanks for the input.
The Huntsman light has the "flashlight" for which I have even less the need than the magnifying glass.
Still, it wouldn't solve my issue since I want somehow to keep the hook, so the same grinding would be needed if I wanted the saw to pair with the hook.
But thanks.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD