Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Will there ever be.......?

Offline tonyg

Will there ever be.......?
on: June 22, 2022, 11:20:14 PM
......an all new Model 91mm SAK?

us Offline Swisster

• Ambassador of SAK's
Re: Will there ever be.......?
Reply #1 on: June 23, 2022, 03:29:52 AM
I would like to see a regular production Compact with a Bohler N690 steel blade. N690 is very inexpensive and is very much like what Victorinox uses now but it's tougher, harder and better edge retention and easy to sharpen. It's as corrosion proof as what Victorinox is using. It's a great all around steel and readily available. The Compact Tough with black carbon fiber scales and the N690 blade. $74.99 is sounding about right for that model and make it regular production. It's a dream knife but could easily be made by Victorinox and at that price point or even cheaper but considering a new Compact is about $53 now, a Compact Tough could be more like $94.99. They definitely need to make a knife with higher end blade that is regular production other than the over priced Damasteel stuff. They could just make a regular production Damasteel Compact and it could be under a $100. I know what Damasteel costs and it's not that much compared to what Victorinox charges for the silly limited ones they make. It's less than $30 for a Damasteel blade. N680 is a better overall steel and much cheaper. Less than $10 a blade cost

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Reply #2 on: June 23, 2022, 01:11:10 PM
There may be models that introduce new tools, although the most recent ones I'm aware of were the Cybertools back around 2000.
I'd certainly be interested to see what new tools could be brought to the table.

Offline Helvetica Bold

Reply #3 on: June 23, 2022, 05:52:14 PM
It’s strange but whatever scenario I find myself in that requires a SAK it’s always been covered by the tools that can already be found in Swiss Champ so I can’t even think what other tools might be useful :0) I have a cyber tool but it never comes out the draw!! I do think there are several discontinued models that are great and I personally would resurrect (outdoorsman, trail guide, troubleshooter and the ever popular Yeoman) but Vic will have stopped making them for a reason so it’s unlikely.
I do like the digital scales but they are a novelty in my eyes and I would use a watch generally instead of those. The compass in the Delmont range is cool but never used one and not sure how well they work at that size.

Be interesting to see what is suggested as I’m not saying I can’t be convinced!  :whistle:

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: June 23, 2022, 11:38:59 PM
I doubt we will see this happen.  I think it would be too much of a gamble for a conservative company like Vic.

Though the concept of a higher end SAK with better blade steel and scales is a sound one.  The MKM Malga 6 is an attempt at this, with an M390 main blade and G10 scales.  However, it is only available in one configuration, and apart from the main blade IMO the other tools don’t appear as functional as their Vic counterparts.

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: June 24, 2022, 12:14:50 AM
There's a post here somewhere that had an interview with one of the Elseners from a newspaper that mentioned that Victorinox was designing a package opener that would go in the place of the can opener, but I've never seen it in the flesh. About time, given the Gerber Dime and Leatherman Wingman have been offered for sale for at least a decade.

Yes, I think a better blade steel is necessary (wonder how much something basic, but still an improvement like 420HC, 440C, or CTS-BD1 would cost?), but I think more focus needs to be made on scales. Nylon scales don't break, but Cellidor is quite fragile in my use.

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: June 24, 2022, 01:14:51 AM
There's a post here somewhere that had an interview with one of the Elseners from a newspaper that mentioned that Victorinox was designing a package opener that would go in the place of the can opener, but I've never seen it in the flesh. About time, given the Gerber Dime and Leatherman Wingman have been offered for sale for at least a decade.

Yes, I think a better blade steel is necessary (wonder how much something basic, but still an improvement like 420HC, 440C, or CTS-BD1 would cost?), but I think more focus needs to be made on scales. Nylon scales don't break, but Cellidor is quite fragile in my use.

The challenge (that would be well worth solving, IMO) is that none of the non-standard scales have plus scales (or even the pin on standard scales.) I much prefer nylon (and wood is cool too) but I don't want to give up my extra goodies.

us Offline Swisster

• Ambassador of SAK's
Reply #7 on: June 24, 2022, 03:46:35 AM
The MKM's are not great but the blade is and the rest of the knife is very mediocre. i just want a better blade steel option in a SAK and they don't need to change anything else. They have already been doing it for over a decade and the prices on the Damasteel versions are ridiculous when those blades are only about $30 at most for a single blade of Damasteel that size. Regular production N690 makes sense and much more cost effective as a regular production knife. Damasteel is like a novelty on SAK's and not as efficient as N690.

us Offline Farmer X

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master of the unexciting
Reply #8 on: June 24, 2022, 06:16:45 PM
The concept of a higher end SAK with better blade steel and scales is a sound one.
:iagree: With a ton of different steels out there, and more than a few folks interested in them, that could be a smart move. (Case brought out a modern flipper with MagnaCut as a SMKW exclusive, and they're another company that has been using the same steels for generations.) Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: June 24, 2022, 07:05:37 PM
SAK with Magnacut  :popcorn:

In all seriousness, they seem to be sailing their ship in one direction and Damascus is as outside the box as they'll likely ever get.  An its not on a regular production knife so.......

I doubt we'll see much from Vic.  What they have is what we'll get.  I find myself satisfied these days with the SAKs I have.  I used to want certain configurations but I'm past that these days. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Frailer

Reply #10 on: June 24, 2022, 07:50:32 PM
In contrast to many in the knife hobby I have no desire for Victorinox to switch to a more modern steel, for a number of reasons.

IMHO the whole point of the SAK is to have an inexpensive, yet well-made, tool readily available to accomplish an unexpected task without necessarily being the optimal tool for the job.

If one needs to turn screws all day, a screwdriver is the proper tool for the job. Likewise, if one has the frequent need to do something that rapidly dulls a blade, such as slash cardboard, there is a tool that is—curiously enough—called “box cutter.”

A steel that can be easily stamped into blade blanks (thus reducing manufacturing costs), that is highly stainless and can easily be brought to a keen edge is, IMHO, ideal.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: June 24, 2022, 07:57:17 PM
 :tu:

I dont think the masses want to replace the SAK as we know it, just other steel offerings in addition.  I'm indifferent since a SAK is a SAK which for me means the tools it offers and a knife it I need it.  I could go blameless on my SAK actually.   
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Reply #12 on: June 24, 2022, 08:54:44 PM
I could go blameless on my SAK actually.   
And so you should - a bad workman always blames his tools...  :2tu:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: June 24, 2022, 09:04:56 PM
Meaning I have other cutting tools at the ready.  You should see what I am carrying today as far as knives  :whistle:.   Never mind here is what I am carrying.  No need for a SAK blade  ;)

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,68477.35460.html

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Swisster

• Ambassador of SAK's
Reply #14 on: June 25, 2022, 02:03:07 AM
They only need to offer a knife or two that are regular production with better blade steel and get more money for it and they will line up to buy them. Compact and Pioneer X is my suggestion since both are wildly popular EDC's.  $95 each

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: June 25, 2022, 02:08:24 AM
 :like:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: June 25, 2022, 09:00:19 AM
As some have mentioned, the two-knife solution is a viable one.  I often find myself carrying a trad, locking folder, or sometimes fixed blade for cutting, while carrying a SAK for the tools.

ch Offline Sneider

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: June 25, 2022, 10:32:34 AM
As a SAK fan, I would be happy about any new feature, regardless of whether I personally liked it or not. Clip-on scales in other materials, 84mm plus scales, tweezers with etched rulers (like the Garant knife) These would be small optional upgrades without victorinox having to adapt its production lines to new models.

With the built-in tools, the question is what is there that a larger number of customers would like to have? (below 100,000 Victorinox speaks of small series, really)

Personally, I would have enjoyed better blade steel, 84mm scissors, normal small blades in 93mm models, a special Schnitz blade, 93mm models with titanium scales and, and, and...  :ahhh

But these would be changes that the vast majority of SAK buyers worldwide would not appreciate enough to pay more for... :dunno:
If you want to be happy, be.
(Leo Tolstoy)

us Offline Swisster

• Ambassador of SAK's
Reply #18 on: June 25, 2022, 01:23:20 PM
people buy the majorly over priced Damasteel SAK's and they would easily buy regular production knives with a higher grade steel in them. This has already been proven with the sales of the Damasteel knives for over a decade and making it under $100 would make it more ethical.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%