Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

84mm Waiter saw addition - Tang thickness?

us Offline Rusty pockets

84mm Waiter saw addition - Tang thickness?
on: June 24, 2022, 12:13:51 PM
Hi, first post. Been reading up in this forum for a bit, figured I'd give SAK modding a shot. I have a Waiter 1 layer that I would like to drop a wood saw in. After reading Don Pablo's posts in this thread I decided to delete both the main blade and combo tool for easier saw clearance. What I'm not sure of is tang thickness.

Is an 84mm saw a direct replacement for the blade or would spacers be needed? Would the 91mm saw work/is it the same thickness as the 84mm? I read the 84mm main blade is 1.411" thick. Just haven't found any info on the saw tang thickness.

Also, this is probably a long shot , but would it be possible to 'unpeen' :dunno: the pins before driving them out to save them and the rivets? I do plan on using a jig, just hoping I could salvage parts if possible, the 2.2mm stock doesn't seem too common. Thanks for any knowledge or advice you can give. :cheers:

us Offline tattoosteve99

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: 84mm Waiter saw addition - Tang thickness?
Reply #2 on: June 27, 2022, 02:00:46 AM
Hi, first post. Been reading up in this forum for a bit, figured I'd give SAK modding a shot. I have a Waiter 1 layer that I would like to drop a wood saw in. After reading Don Pablo's posts in this thread I decided to delete both the main blade and combo tool for easier saw clearance. What I'm not sure of is tang thickness.

Is an 84mm saw a direct replacement for the blade or would spacers be needed? Would the 91mm saw work/is it the same thickness as the 84mm? I read the 84mm main blade is 1.411" thick. Just haven't found any info on the saw tang thickness.

Also, this is probably a long shot , but would it be possible to 'unpeen' :dunno: the pins before driving them out to save them and the rivets? I do plan on using a jig, just hoping I could salvage parts if possible, the 2.2mm stock doesn't seem too common. Thanks for any knowledge or advice you can give. :cheers:

Not possible to de-peen the rivets.

Not really sure what your post means about dropping the blade and combo tool. You would only have a corkscrew then  :dunno:
You can add a saw layer to the knife but you would need new pinstock for sure.
Adding just a saw blade itself,no. The difference is just more than thickness.
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

us Offline Rusty pockets

Reply #4 on: June 27, 2022, 01:45:22 PM
Not possible to de-peen the rivets.

Ah I thought not

Not really sure what your post means about dropping the blade and combo tool. You would only have a corkscrew then  :dunno:
You can add a saw layer to the knife but you would need new pinstock for sure.
Adding just a saw blade itself,no. The difference is just more than thickness.

Oh I was just wondering if I could install an 84mm saw in place of the main blade without much hassle. This is for an UL backpacker. They just want the saw and corkscrew, the blade isn't wanted since they have a dedicated folder.

us Offline tattoosteve99

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: June 29, 2022, 07:20:18 PM
Ah I thought not

Oh I was just wondering if I could install an 84mm saw in place of the main blade without much hassle. This is for an UL backpacker. They just want the saw and corkscrew, the blade isn't wanted since they have a dedicated folder.
I will check my box of parts and see what happens. I have plenty of parts to choose from so it won’t be a problem.  The shape of the spring is the biggest issue. Thickness can be fixed with washers.
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: July 01, 2022, 01:02:52 AM
Welcome to :MTO: Rusty pockets :cheers:

us Offline Rusty pockets

Reply #7 on: July 01, 2022, 03:32:03 PM
I will check my box of parts and see what happens. I have plenty of parts to choose from so it won’t be a problem.  The shape of the spring is the biggest issue. Thickness can be fixed with washers.

Ah I see, I hadn't thought of the spring shape, but I definitely see how it would change the positioning of the saw

us Offline Rusty pockets

Reply #8 on: July 01, 2022, 03:43:19 PM
Welcome to :MTO: Rusty pockets :cheers:

TYVM! Happy to be here

Offline Helvetica Bold

Reply #9 on: July 27, 2022, 09:23:14 AM
I have put both metal and wood saws in place of the main blade on a 91mm knife so should probably work on an 84 too. You will need spacers on the liner side. The metal saw was the much more elegant option and fitted Better - probably because  of the tapered and smooth tip. There was a small amount of running but it was acceptable. This included the combo tool or a small. Without the other tools you would need to make spacer/rest for the saw tip at the other end of the spring to keep the tension up - you might need to adjust the liners too. The pics below shows how I’ve done it - looks
like I have added an extra liner too to avoid fowling. Thought I had more/better pics of the process but couldn’t find them
unfortunately. 

us Offline Rusty pockets

Reply #10 on: August 15, 2022, 07:17:24 PM
I have put both metal and wood saws in place of the main blade on a 91mm knife so should probably work on an 84 too. You will need spacers on the liner side. The metal saw was the much more elegant option and fitted Better - probably because  of the tapered and smooth tip. There was a small amount of running but it was acceptable. This included the combo tool or a small. Without the other tools you would need to make spacer/rest for the saw tip at the other end of the spring to keep the tension up - you might need to adjust the liners too. The pics below shows how I’ve done it - looks
like I have added an extra liner too to avoid fowling. Thought I had more/better pics of the process but couldn’t find them
unfortunately.

Helvetica, thank you for this info, it helps a lot. Now I know for sure I'll need at least one spacer and a rest at the tip end to make it fit right.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $279.86
PayPal Fees: $14.66
Net Balance: $265.20
Below Goal: $34.80
Site Currency: USD
88%