Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Cadet X - Badge Request

us Offline pa_strunk

• No Life Club
  • MAJ/APA
Cadet X - Badge Request
on: June 05, 2022, 06:23:59 AM
All of us wish Victorinox would make a Cadet X, so I decided to make one using dremel, drill, carbide bits, peening hammer. I am requesting Alox with Scissors and Advanced Modder badges. So here we go.
"Every generation has the obligation to free men's minds for a look at new worlds, to look out from a higher plateau than the last generation." Ellison Onizuka

us Offline pa_strunk

• No Life Club
  • MAJ/APA
Re: Cadet X - Badge Request
Reply #1 on: June 05, 2022, 06:25:20 AM
Step 1, drill out rivets on cadet.
"Every generation has the obligation to free men's minds for a look at new worlds, to look out from a higher plateau than the last generation." Ellison Onizuka

us Offline pa_strunk

• No Life Club
  • MAJ/APA
Reply #2 on: June 05, 2022, 06:26:33 AM
Step 3, break down cadet into components

us Offline pa_strunk

• No Life Club
  • MAJ/APA
Reply #3 on: June 05, 2022, 06:28:20 AM
Step 4, Add composts to make cadet x, scissors, back spring, donor liner.

us Offline pa_strunk

• No Life Club
  • MAJ/APA
Reply #4 on: June 05, 2022, 06:30:22 AM
Step 5, Mark area to remove on scissor back spring.

us Offline pa_strunk

• No Life Club
  • MAJ/APA
Reply #5 on: June 05, 2022, 06:31:54 AM
Step 6, changed my mind and decided just to use a dremel cutoff wheel and go along long axis of spring.

us Offline pa_strunk

• No Life Club
  • MAJ/APA
Reply #6 on: June 05, 2022, 06:33:11 AM
Step 7, Now mark excess material on donor spring compared to other spring on cadet.

us Offline pa_strunk

• No Life Club
  • MAJ/APA
Reply #7 on: June 05, 2022, 06:35:18 AM
Step 8, After using cutoff wheel and sanding wheel on dremel, place spring to check fit.

us Offline pa_strunk

• No Life Club
  • MAJ/APA
Reply #8 on: June 05, 2022, 06:36:54 AM
Step 9, Mark site to drill new pivot point for scissors.

us Offline pa_strunk

• No Life Club
  • MAJ/APA
Reply #9 on: June 05, 2022, 06:39:59 AM
Step 10, After drilling 2.2 mm hole with carbide bit use another tool on cadet to mark excess material to remove from scissors base.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2022, 06:49:39 AM by pa_strunk »

us Offline pa_strunk

• No Life Club
  • MAJ/APA
Reply #10 on: June 05, 2022, 06:41:46 AM
Step 11, Check fit and action. Use dremel cutoff wheel to remove gross material and sanding wheel for fine tune adjustments.

us Offline pa_strunk

• No Life Club
  • MAJ/APA
Reply #11 on: June 05, 2022, 06:43:34 AM
12, Remove excess material from handle on scissors to make sure you close properly. Once you have it closed and snapping appropriately your in business. Reassemble and peen.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2022, 06:49:09 AM by pa_strunk »

us Offline pa_strunk

• No Life Club
  • MAJ/APA
Reply #12 on: June 05, 2022, 06:44:50 AM
Step 13, Cadet X

us Offline petey.grizz

• Swiss Knives and Japanese Bass Guitars
Reply #13 on: June 05, 2022, 06:49:29 AM
Nice work and thanks for the simple breakdown. I have a Cadet X that I traded for that was made by someone(Scyph maybe?)on here a while back. It has screws rather than premed though. I was going to dismantle it to check out the spring modification but now I got the idea down. Gonna practice peening before I commit to making my dream knife, Farmer X Mini.
IG @swizzarmygrizz
IG @peteygrizz (Bass)

gb Offline Rizio Il Ghiro

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: June 05, 2022, 08:06:51 AM
Nice work, pa_strunk!  :hatsoff:

us Offline proletenstahl

Reply #15 on: June 05, 2022, 09:24:36 AM
Beautiful!  :tu:

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #16 on: June 05, 2022, 09:26:50 AM
Great work.  You made it look easy, but I know it is not that easy.

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: June 05, 2022, 04:00:12 PM
Very nicely done pa_strunk!  I've made a few Cadet X's and a couple Voygeurs, but I always started with a matched set of 84 mm scissors and spring.   Starting with 91 mm parts requires more skill and work.   Well done! 

us Offline pa_strunk

• No Life Club
  • MAJ/APA
Reply #18 on: June 05, 2022, 04:26:50 PM
Thanks guys. I have made several mods with Wenger scissors or matching 84 mm scissors out of golfers in the past, but I have never used 91 mm scissors because I worried about the weakened back spring and replacing scissor springs. Then I thought, “why not,” I’ll just put a new scissor spring on prior to mod and see what happens. I really like it. Someday Victorinox will make one.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2022, 05:28:58 PM by pa_strunk »

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #19 on: June 05, 2022, 05:20:10 PM
Awesome job on your mind.
Addicted to sharp pointy things.

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #20 on: June 05, 2022, 07:05:34 PM
Nice work!  :like:

We'll probably only have to wait 20 more years for Vic to get the message  :popcorn:

ni-ulster Offline Jud65

Reply #21 on: June 05, 2022, 07:29:49 PM
 :like: :hatsoff:
Cracking work Pa
We take what is offered...
Morituri Nolumus Mori

us Offline pa_strunk

• No Life Club
  • MAJ/APA
Reply #22 on: June 06, 2022, 07:21:21 PM
So I gave the Cadet X the pocket worn or distressed look and shot a little video in my office at lunch. For some reason I just like the worn out alox better than the new. Check out the video below.

https://youtube.com/shorts/xASVDdzICeI?feature=share

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: June 06, 2022, 09:05:40 PM
Very nice! :like: :tu: :tu:

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: June 08, 2022, 04:44:22 AM
It looks great, and I'm thinking of attempting a Cadet X myself.

I'm worried that you took too big of a notch out of the scissor, 
there's not a lot of metal left holding it together near the spring notch.
I think you would have been better off to shorten the back spring a little more.
- Steve

us Offline pa_strunk

• No Life Club
  • MAJ/APA
Reply #25 on: June 08, 2022, 05:46:56 AM
Yeah, that’s why I have not done this mod in the past. Scissor stress is only where the blades meet in use so as long as I do not pry with it or over stress the base of the tool then it should be fine. My big mistake was not moving hole for pivot back a few millimeters. Hope you do give it try.

nz Offline Storm

Reply #26 on: June 08, 2022, 09:13:41 AM
Great job chap  :hatsoff:
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are "

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: June 28, 2022, 06:38:32 AM
Yeah, that’s why I have not done this mod in the past. Scissor stress is only where the blades meet in use so as long as I do not pry with it or over stress the base of the tool then it should be fine. My big mistake was not moving hole for pivot back a few millimeters. Hope you do give it try.
I'm getting ready to do so.  One thing you don't mention is the additional divider.  What did you use, was it another 84mm, or did you modify a 91mm divider?  If a 91mm divider, how did you modify it?
- Steve

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #28 on: June 28, 2022, 11:56:26 AM
Nice work and thanks for the simple breakdown. I have a Cadet X that I traded for that was made by someone(Scyph maybe?)on here a while back. It has screws rather than premed though. I was going to dismantle it to check out the spring modification but now I got the idea down. Gonna practice peening before I commit to making my dream knife, Farmer X Mini.

What exactly is that?!

??? ???

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline pa_strunk

• No Life Club
  • MAJ/APA
Reply #29 on: June 28, 2022, 03:41:26 PM
I'm getting ready to do so.  One thing you don't mention is the additional divider.  What did you use, was it another 84mm, or did you modify a 91mm divider?  If a 91mm divider, how did you modify it?

Sorry, just saw your question. Basically there are three options. Option one; catabolize another 84 mm SAK (expensive proposition), option two; make your own (need additional materials), or option three; modify a 91 mm liner, by using 84 mm as a template and rearrange a few holes. Won't be a perfect fit internally, but you only need a few holes lined up correctly for the liner to do it's job separating the tool layers. Let me know which option you use.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 03:57:20 PM by pa_strunk »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%