Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Loaded Pockets Challenge August 2022

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Loaded Pockets Challenge August 2022
on: June 26, 2022, 06:27:27 AM
Look, I like to carry a lot of smurf, do I need to? No, but I like gear and after I tricked a surprising amount of you into loading up your belts.... It's time for phase 2  :popcorn:

The rules:

- The challenge starts on the 1st of August 2022 and ends on August 30th 2022 local time

- You must carry at least one item from every category of the gear list every day

- You must take a picture of your gear everyday and post it with how you're doing what you used your gear on etc. The picture doesn't have to be everything, and can be a use picture or a glamour picture. If you changed anything from your previous day, make sure to mention/show it.

- Number your posts for easy tracking

- If you needed to use something outside of your EDC, or you had to size down your carry make sure to note it what and why in that day's post

The Gear List

- Pliers-based Multitool
- Dedicated Folding Knife and fixed blade if your legal situation allows
- Dedicated Flashlight
- Dedicated Pen
- Watch
- Fidget or memento
- Sanitary item e.g. hand sanitiser, sheet soap, coin towel
- Lighter/matches
- Hankerchief or Bandana
- 93mm or 91mm SAK
- 84mm SAK
- 58mm or 74mm SAK

Yes it's a lot, but this is a challenge after all, you can do it!

Those that complete the challenge will be entered into a GAW to win an EDC shipped to their door  :cheers:

So, who will join in the madness?  :ahhh

Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

• No Life Club
Re: Loaded Pockets Challenge August 2022
Reply #1 on: June 26, 2022, 06:31:30 AM
So who's crazy brave enough  :viking:

1) GearedForwards
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

se Offline RF52

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: June 26, 2022, 12:11:12 PM
I might risk it :tu:

1) GearedForwards
2) RF52

Sent fra min M2002J9G via Tapatalk

us Offline Sos24

Reply #3 on: June 26, 2022, 12:50:04 PM
What if I don’t have a watch?  Can my phone count?

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: June 26, 2022, 08:54:30 PM
I might risk it :tu:

1) GearedForwards
2) RF52

Sent fra min M2002J9G via Tapatalk

Welcome aboard  :cheers:

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: June 26, 2022, 08:55:14 PM
What if I don’t have a watch?  Can my phone count?

That sounds reasonable to me given that's how most people tell the time nowadays, we'll call watch 'timepiece' as long as you can always tell the time you qualify  :tu:

us Offline Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #6 on: June 27, 2022, 12:50:51 AM
I'll be doing the Locks Up! challenge in August. But I'll do my damndest to participate in this one concurrently. As I understand it, I have to carry at least 12 items every day; is that correct? Could be fun finding a place for all that smurf!

1) GearedForwards
2) RF52
3) Farmer X
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: June 27, 2022, 01:09:53 AM
I'll be doing the Locks Up! challenge in August. But I'll do my damndest to participate in this one concurrently. As I understand it, I have to carry at least 12 items every day; is that correct? Could be fun finding a place for all that smurf!

1) GearedForwards
2) RF52
3) Farmer X

Good to have you! 12 minimum, 13 if you're able to carry a fixie  :tu:

I recommend roganisers and pouches!  :ahhh

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #8 on: June 27, 2022, 01:53:49 AM
12 minimum, 13 if you're able to carry a fixie  :tu:
That's kind of a gray area for me. As long as I don't leave my property, carrying a fixie is no problem. However, concealed carry of a fixed blade is a felony in Michigan, and I'm unsure what, exactly, constitutes concealment. So I don't carry one in public.

Below is a quick pocket (and sheath) dump photo. A marble is serving as the memento/fidget. I'm nearly halfway there! :woohoo:

Farmer X Pocket Dump.jpg
* Farmer X Pocket Dump.jpg (Filesize: 118.06 KB)
USN 2000-2006

us Offline Adam5

Reply #9 on: June 27, 2022, 03:20:08 AM
Like Farmer, I am signed up for the Locks Up challenge. However, given what I typically carry each day it would not be much of a stretch to participate in this challenge also. I would just need to add a sanitary item, a bandana, a fidget or memento, and the larger SAKs. Hopefully, an 85mm Wenger will suffice for the 84mm SAK.

1) GearedForwards
2) RF52
3) Farmer X
4) Adam5

By the way, a fixed blade would not be possible for me.

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: June 27, 2022, 03:46:02 AM
That's kind of a gray area for me. As long as I don't leave my property, carrying a fixie is no problem. However, concealed carry of a fixed blade is a felony in Michigan, and I'm unsure what, exactly, constitutes concealment. So I don't carry one in public.

Below is a quick pocket (and sheath) dump photo. A marble is serving as the memento/fidget. I'm nearly halfway there! :woohoo:

[ Quoting of attachment images from other messages is not allowed ]

An excellent start! And don't worry about the fix blade, if there's any legal grey area you'd never be expected to jeopardize yourself  :tu:

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: June 27, 2022, 03:47:11 AM
Like Farmer, I am signed up for the Locks Up challenge. However, given what I typically carry each day it would not be much of a stretch to participate in this challenge also. I would just need to add a sanitary item, a bandana, a fidget or memento, and the larger SAKs. Hopefully, an 85mm Wenger will suffice for the 84mm SAK.

1) GearedForwards
2) RF52
3) Farmer X
4) Adam5

By the way, a fixed blade would not be possible for me.

Woop, welcome aboard! Yeah similar sized Wenger/Delemont models can substitute in if that's desired, as long as you still hit the total number of gear items  :tu:

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #12 on: June 27, 2022, 08:02:53 AM
I would just need to add a sanitary item, a bandana, a fidget or memento, and the larger SAKs.
If I recall correctly, you have a Super Tinker that would work very well. There are a couple types of bandanas that I like; I'll PM you links to them (or just send you one or two) if you'd like.

Oh, and I awlso need to get the sanitary item, but that shouldn't be difficult. A pen might be purchased as well (I have several, but I'm kind of wanting one that doesn't scream out "cheap pen").
USN 2000-2006

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: June 27, 2022, 08:06:27 AM
If I recall correctly, you have a Super Tinker that would work very well. There are a couple types of bandanas that I like; I'll PM you links to them (or just send you one or two) if you'd like.

Oh, and I awlso need to get the sanitary item, but that shouldn't be difficult. A pen might be purchased as well (I have several, but I'm kind of wanting one that doesn't scream out "cheap pen").

What kind of pen are you after? I enjoy the Fisher Space pen and Olight O'Pen mini for cheaper compact pens personally

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #14 on: June 27, 2022, 08:11:40 AM
Quite frankly, a Zebra F-301 works perfectly well for me. Some of the pen enthusiasts have some truly beautiful writing utensils, but I don't think I'd carry them. I'm far more apt to lose a pen than I am a knife.
USN 2000-2006

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Reply #15 on: June 27, 2022, 12:08:04 PM
I'd really love to enter, but I fear it'd be considered cheating - I already carry pretty much all of that, and more, in my pockets every day. It's not a challenge, beyond including a Squirt PS4 and remembering to take pictures...

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: June 27, 2022, 05:50:13 PM
I'd really love to enter, but I fear it'd be considered cheating - I already carry pretty much all of that, and more, in my pockets every day. It's not a challenge, beyond including a Squirt PS4 and remembering to take pictures...

Seeing the pictures is what it's all about though  :like:

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #17 on: June 28, 2022, 05:36:57 AM
Earlier today, I picked up a pocket-size bottle of hand sanitizer. Possibly excepting the pen, I'm set. And one more question: does a traditional count for the dedicated knife component?
USN 2000-2006

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: June 28, 2022, 06:58:25 AM
Earlier today, I picked up a pocket-size bottle of hand sanitizer. Possibly excepting the pen, I'm set. And one more question: does a traditional count for the dedicated knife component?

Nice! And absolutely! Dedicated knives can be any style/pattern you want as long as their sole function is to be a cutting implement, that includes any trad patterns with multiple blades.

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Reply #19 on: June 28, 2022, 11:31:17 AM
I recommend roganisers and pouches!  :ahhh
OK, having just spotted this, can I get some clarification on the rules...?
As specified in the OP, there seems to be no requirement to carry all this kit in actual pockets, despite the suggestion of such in the thread title... and my learned friend here further recommends other carry methods.

So is the requirement for pocket carry only?

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: June 28, 2022, 06:30:10 PM
OK, having just spotted this, can I get some clarification on the rules...?
As specified in the OP, there seems to be no requirement to carry all this kit in actual pockets, despite the suggestion of such in the thread title... and my learned friend here further recommends other carry methods.

So is the requirement for pocket carry only?

The requirement is for these items to be on your person, so you can use pocket organisers and belt pouches, but you can't shove them in a bag. I should have made this more clear originally and now I can't edit the OP  :facepalm:

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #21 on: June 28, 2022, 06:58:54 PM
The watch mandate made me wonder how many of us own, much less regularly carry, a pocket watch.

Below is a photo of how my carry might look.

Loaded Pockets Sample.jpg
* Loaded Pockets Sample.jpg (Filesize: 146.48 KB)

Around bandana, clockwise from top left:

• Dedicated folding knife (Case Sod Buster Jr). Different ones will certainly be seen.
  • PB multi (Leatherman Pulse). This won't change, as I'm participating in the Locks Up! challenge, which runs concurrently.
  • Dedicated pen. Not sure if I'll get a new one.
  • 91/93mm SAK (Victorinox Spartan). Different ones will certainly be seen.
  • 84mm SAK (Victorinox Bantam). This role is likely to be filled solely by Victorinox Bantams.

On bandana, clockwise from top left:

• Lighter. A Zippo may sneak in.
  • Fidget/memento. This will awlways be a marble, but not the same one. Now I have an excuse to practice my marble shooting. :D
  • Sanitary item. This bottle of hand sanitizer will be sued throughout.
  • Watch. This Casio G-Shock is the only watch I own, thus the only watch you'll see.
  • 58mm SAK (Victorinox Classic SD). Another one that will change as the challenge progresses.
  • Flashlight (Olight I1R2 EOS). Another one that's likely to stay for the duration.

And of course, there's the bandana, which will change. Not pictured: a fixed blade. If I carry a fixed blade, it'll be a Morakniv Garberg.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 07:26:02 PM by Farmer X »
USN 2000-2006

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: June 28, 2022, 07:04:44 PM
    The watch mandate made me wonder how many of us own, much less regularly carry, a pocket watch.

Below is a photo of how my carry might look.

[ Quoting of attachment images from other messages is not allowed ]  

Around bandana, clockwise from top left:

• Dedicated folding knife (Case Sod Buster Jr). Different ones will certainly be seen.
    • PB multi (Leatherman Pulse). This won't change, as I'm participating in the Locks Up! challenge, which runs concurrently.
    • Dedicated pen. Not sure if I'll get a new one.
    • 91/93mm SAK (Victorinox Spartan). Different ones will certainly be seen.
    • 84mm SAK (Victorinox Bantam). This role is likely to be filled solely by Victorinox Bantams.

On bandana, clockwise from top left:

• Lighter. A Zippo may sneak in.
    • Fidget/memento. This will awlways be a marble, but not the same one. Now I have an excuse to practice my marble shooting. :D
    • Sanitary item. This bottle of hand sanitizer will be sued throughout.
    • Watch. This Casio G-Shock is the only watch I own, thus the only watch you'll see.
    • 58mm SAK (Victorinox Classic SD). Another one that will change as the challenge progresses.
    [li]Flashlight (Olight I1R2 EOS). Another one that's likely to stay for the duration.
    [/li][/list]

And of course, there's the bandana, which will change. Not pictured: a fixed blade. If I carry a fixed blade, it'll be a Morakniv Garberg.

Nicely done FX! Now you've got it all assembled, does it feel like a lot to you?

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #23 on: June 28, 2022, 07:39:03 PM
      Now you've got it all assembled, does it feel like a lot to you?
    It's quite the load, but manageable. In the interest of fairness and full disclosure, I usually carry the 58mm SAKs about my neck, and the Case 3137 goes in a sheath. (A Case 6137, which is much thinner, does not fit in the sheath).

This challenge will definitely require some strategic placement of gear and forethought as to what gets carried. With weight and bulk being a concern, I'm not likely to carry a 91/93mm SAK that's thicker than a Camper. The Pulse is restricted to a hidden pocket. And the lighter, marble, and hand sanitizer are currently sharing a pocket. That bit might require a rethink.[/list]
    USN 2000-2006

us Offline Adam5

Reply #24 on: June 29, 2022, 12:13:32 AM
    If I recall correctly, you have a Super Tinker that would work very well.

Yeah, I barely meet the SAK requirement:

91mm - Super Tinker
    84mm (85mm) - Evogrip 14
    58mm - MiniChamp

Besides those, I have 2 Classic SDs and a shelf queen Alox Electrician.

There are a couple types of bandanas that I like; I'll PM you links to them (or just send you one or two) if you'd like.

I am interested in your bandana recommendations.

I have a Fisher Space Pen, but I typically carry a Rite In The Rain pen at work.

us Offline Adam5

Reply #25 on: June 29, 2022, 12:18:52 AM
    GF, what do you think about a cable splicer's knife for the fixed blade:

• No Life Club
    Reply #26 on: June 29, 2022, 12:29:35 AM
    GF, what do you think about a cable splicer's knife for the fixed blade:

(Image removed from quote.)

Looks like a fixed blade to me! Just because it has a speSmurfpillsed purpose and a shorter blade doesn't disqualify it  :tu:

• No Life Club
    Reply #27 on: June 29, 2022, 12:31:45 AM
      It's quite the load, but manageable. In the interest of fairness and full disclosure, I usually carry the 58mm SAKs about my neck, and the Case 3137 goes in a sheath. (A Case 6137, which is much thinner, does not fit in the sheath).

This challenge will definitely require some strategic placement of gear and forethought as to what gets carried. With weight and bulk being a concern, I'm not likely to carry a 91/93mm SAK that's thicker than a Camper. The Pulse is restricted to a hidden pocket. And the lighter, marble, and hand sanitizer are currently sharing a pocket. That bit might require a rethink.[/list]

Working out pocket placement is definitely important, the hope is that after a little bit of time the carrier falls into a rhythm with how to distribute it around their body.

us Offline Adam5

Reply #28 on: June 29, 2022, 01:07:00 AM
      Looks like a fixed blade to me! Just because it has a speSmurfpillsed purpose and a shorter blade doesn't disqualify it  :tu:

I have been trying to generate a reason for buying it  :D

• No Life Club
      Reply #29 on: June 29, 2022, 01:11:11 AM
      I have been trying to generate a reason for buying it  :D

"Adam5 requires the purchase of 'cable splicer's knife' for work purposes, and he would suffer significant social repercussions should he be kept from making this essential purchase"

Signed - An Internet Enabler

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
      Donate with PayPal!
      April Goal: $300.00
      Due Date: Apr 30
      Total Receipts: $152.99
      PayPal Fees: $8.68
      Net Balance: $144.31
      Below Goal: $155.69
      Site Currency: USD
      48%