Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Any engineers? I got a little challenge if so..

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Any engineers? I got a little challenge if so..
on: June 27, 2022, 04:57:52 PM
Alright, sorry it has nothing to do with sak’s or multitools, but a little something unique, as most of you know I have a seizure disorder, and well, what I’m trying to do is ride the road with the wife, I haven’t ridden a bike in 14yrs, she got her fiend bought her a simple trike since she amazingly got into shape and has never ridden before, but now I can’t ride with how bad my seizures have gotten, but I looked into her trike and figured I’d still fall off and do a good tumble, but a recumbent, I’d just stay on the seat and roll, so it’s got me thinking, and trying to come up with one,
My other thing is when I go into a seizure I like to roll my hands toward my chest, even though I have no clue as to what I’m doing, so it had me thinking if there was a way to put some type of deadman switch on the brake, like how your push mower cuts out when you drop that bar, if I had a spring pulling the brake leaver to the handle but with a cotter pin or wedge between the handle and brake to prevent the spring from pulling the brake tight, then if and when I had a seizure and I had a piece of paracord wrapped around my wrist to whatever, it would pull it as I pull my hand toward my chest and then act the brake and I’d just stop wherever? Any thoughts? Thanks
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Re: Any engineers? I got a little challenge if so..
Reply #1 on: June 27, 2022, 05:07:15 PM
Seems you need a reverse break. A lever to pull when you want to move, that releases the break. When you let go, it blocks the wheels. Could be tiresome, having to keep applying pressure on the lever when you want to keep moving.

:think: :think:

Maybe a system that tenses the break line when resting, with a spring. When you press/grab it, it relaxes the break line. When you let go, the spring pulls the line tense again.

That's the theory, I don't really know how to build something like that...

:dunno: :dunno:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: June 27, 2022, 05:29:33 PM
Here's a very crude mockup.

The purple is a lever, hinged in the yellow circle and conected to the break lever. The image shows it pressed against the handle, pushing the red spring away and releasing the breaks.

When you let go, the spring reduces in length to the blue line, activating the brakes.

Makes sense?

* brakes handle.jpg (Filesize: 116.37 KB)

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: June 27, 2022, 06:09:44 PM
It took me like 10min to find the right pic to just come up with something, but if the lever had a spring pulling it and there was a cotter pin in the brake housing preventing it from closing, then all that would have to happen would be if and when I have one my arm would automatically go to my chest as shown in these pics, this is of me having one from a video the wife took, notice how my arm is across my chest, so it would pull a good 16in..
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: June 27, 2022, 06:47:46 PM
It took me like 10min to find the right pic to just come up with something, but if the lever had a spring pulling it and there was a cotter pin in the brake housing preventing it from closing, then all that would have to happen would be if and when I have one my arm would automatically go to my chest as shown in these pics, this is of me having one from a video the wife took, notice how my arm is across my chest, so it would pull a good 16in..
JR

But then that break wouldn't activate unless you'd pull the pin. You'd need another working break to use when moving around.

In my model, you could just ease the grip and it would break automatically. You wouldn't need another break.

:think: :think:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: June 27, 2022, 07:08:40 PM
Right, normally they have two brakes, some have two plus one, where one actually pulls dual cables activating both front brakes, while the other handle activates the rear brake, and would be perfect in my case, but I dont think that one has that setup, just two brake handles,,
JR

ca Offline Altis

Reply #6 on: June 27, 2022, 11:06:48 PM
What kind of force do you draw your arms in and is it a guarantee that you'll do it? I'd be concerned that the force wouldn't be enough to brake or that it might not happen at all.

Do you have any kind of advanced warning of an oncoming seizure, or by the time you feel it it's too late to make any kind of action?

Some kind of weighted or gripped reverse brake would be my suggestion. You could use a cam system to make it easy enough to maintain it without fatigue while riding but strong enough to apply sufficient brakes (like a compound bow, for visual). I'd recommend replacing the rear brake entirely with one that's effectively reversed, since you can brake effectively with the front while you're riding but trail braking is much softer and safer if you aren't able to control it.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: June 27, 2022, 11:54:08 PM
What kind of force do you draw your arms in and is it a guarantee that you'll do it? I'd be concerned that the force wouldn't be enough to brake or that it might not happen at all.

Do you have any kind of advanced warning of an oncoming seizure, or by the time you feel it it's too late to make any kind of action?

Some kind of weighted or gripped reverse brake would be my suggestion. You could use a cam system to make it easy enough to maintain it without fatigue while riding but strong enough to apply sufficient brakes (like a compound bow, for visual). I'd recommend replacing the rear brake entirely with one that's effectively reversed, since you can brake effectively with the front while you're riding but trail braking is much softer and safer if you aren't able to control it.
No I have absolutely no warning, as for the force I pull pretty good, I’ve hurt the wife while holding her in bed, and since I clamp she’s had to fight me off!
JR

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: July 02, 2022, 02:57:37 AM
My concern is that even if you can work out the break, that potentially leaves you stopped in the road to be hit by an overtaking car.
- Steve

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: July 02, 2022, 03:35:05 AM
My concern is that even if you can work out the break, that potentially leaves you stopped in the road to be hit by an overtaking car.
Thus why I can’t do anything without being under supervision 24/7, it’s been 14yrs! So the wife would be by my side along the whole ride,,
JR

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: July 02, 2022, 10:44:51 PM
Potentially something that is easier to apply, or may already exist, on an electric bike - like break-away-brakes on a trailer, or the deadman switch on a jetski/small boat, having a pin that either connects or disconnects an electrical circuit is probably more straightforward.

As for applying the brakes evenly/controlled - depending on the set up, hydraulic or electric brakes might be better.

An elaborate series of levers, springs, and pulleys could work, but there's likely a fair bit of trial and error/R&D involved, and you might end up having to adjust the whole lot if brake pads wear down or a cable stretches etc.

Another option might be to set it up like a "fixie", that has it's own problems, but it could work if you are mostly on flat easy paths - and if you stop pedalling, you'll stop (or get your ankle broken)

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: July 02, 2022, 11:54:12 PM
Well if I could put a 2nd caliper on the same brake then I would pretty much be golden, I would work the brakes as normal but then make some type of deadman switch to activate the 2nd or spare caliper locking the brake..
JR

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
Reply #12 on: July 03, 2022, 01:52:25 AM
A recumbent bike with a hub drive motor is the way to go, if you then add in  regenerative braking and the need for a break away is removed.

Another high tech (ish) option may be some form of remote braking that your good lady could operate in case of emergency. Yes it will add to the weight but it's a ebike so who care.
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: July 03, 2022, 02:26:07 AM
My heads been twirling about this and kinda came up with something, the sketch is a little crappy because of this iPad, but if you look at it you might be able to understand, but it’s a spring inside a piece of pvc pipe with a rod that is held in place with the spring but comes out the end, then by pulling the rod it exposes the hole in which the cotter pin goes through and holds the rod in place, the rod then goes out in front of the brake handle only covering the front, thus allowing it to operate whenever, until the cotter pin is pulled in which launches the spring back causing the hooked part to pull the brake..
JR

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: July 03, 2022, 04:03:13 AM
I actually found something I could probably work with, it would need a little finesse, but seriously doable, it’s called a Spring Loaded Latch Pin, it works in the same theory as I was thinking but it’s already made, just not in pipe, just totally open, so if I was to mount this to the top or bottom of the handlebar and stretch it out over / under the brake lever, the lever would have free play, that would be until the cotter pin I would install by drilling a hole through the bolt is removed, thus causing the bolt to pull on the lever causing the brake to lock up or slowly stopping it, I guess pending on how strong the spring is and how good the brake is.. :dunno: thoughts?
JR

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #15 on: July 09, 2022, 11:20:34 AM
How about a bike with a sidecar, the Mrs does all the pedaling on the bike and you just sit there, enjoying the ride?

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: July 09, 2022, 03:19:18 PM
How about a bike with a sidecar, the Mrs does all the pedaling on the bike and you just sit there, enjoying the ride?
Ha funny, she’d kill me!
JR

us Offline variable

Reply #17 on: July 13, 2022, 04:43:41 AM
Have you thought about adapting a rolling walker brake?

https://www.hmemedicalshop.com/parts/walker-parts/brakes-for-walkers.html?product_list_limit=36

Just a thought.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: July 13, 2022, 05:57:38 AM

Simple, elegant, effective, brilliant idea.  And there you have it.  Problem solved.   :cheers:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: July 13, 2022, 01:50:15 PM
Have you thought about adapting a rolling walker brake?

https://www.hmemedicalshop.com/parts/walker-parts/brakes-for-walkers.html?product_list_limit=36

Just a thought.
All they do is just lock right? Or squeeze brake one way and lock brake the other? But you have to squeeze it vs a deadman switch.. I mean if it was a lock only I could probably rig something? :dunno: good idea! :tu:
JR

us Offline variable

Reply #20 on: July 13, 2022, 05:13:17 PM
All they do is just lock right? Or squeeze brake one way and lock brake the other? But you have to squeeze it vs a deadman switch.. I mean if it was a lock only I could probably rig something? :dunno: good idea! :tu:
JR

Squeeze to brake, push to lock brake. Maybe you could flip it around to use it as a brake lock for one wheel.

Just a idea.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD