Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

5.11 AMPC, but better

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
5.11 AMPC, but better
on: July 07, 2022, 10:25:47 PM
I love the 5.11 AMP line concept, and I am still looking for the ultimate EDC backpack (I even tried to make my own, but never went through).
So, I bought the 5.11 AMPC (16L) that is the smallest pack of the AMP lineup. It is meant to be carried on the back of plate carriers and AMP rigs, but It looked like a nice platform to build from.
I could have gone for the AMP10 (20L), but I wanted a bag that could be very flat and sleek, but could also be extended to take a rolled up pullover or even an coat/jacket.

Base of the mod : AMPC + Shove It Gear set module.

First of all, Hypalon straps are just awful : this material is both excellent and horrible, it is sturdy, scratch and wear resistant but it grabs/sticks to anything in contact. that means it is the worst fabric for shoulder straps as it grabs your shirt and the rubbing is then between the shirt and your shoulder : friction burn guaranteed.
==> I built straps sleeves (made of padded mesh fabric) that wraps around the Hypalon straps and make them a lot more comfortable :
(you can see in the first picture the proof of concept made with blue fabric)
They are not stitched to the strap to be able to revert or improve the design, they hold up using friction fit and the retention straps that are normally used to adapt on plate carriers

* AMPC-ShoveIt-Improved (3).jpg (Filesize: 211.05 KB)

* AMPC-ShoveIt-Improved (4).jpg (Filesize: 116.3 KB)

* AMPC-ShoveIt-Improved (5).jpg (Filesize: 264.79 KB)

* AMPC-ShoveIt-Improved (6).jpg (Filesize: 201.67 KB)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2022, 10:39:21 PM by m47mu74nt »
Meet me also on youtube & instagram for mostly knives (and multitools) content

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
Re: 5.11 AMPC, but better
Reply #1 on: July 07, 2022, 10:29:28 PM
To maintain ultra sleek profile, even with the Shove it module I added compression straps to flatten the module. These mount on the existing Hypalon compression straps that were designed to compress the AMPC.
Again, the added straps are not sewed on the pack, but use loops fabric for modularity

* AMPC-ShoveIt-Improved (1).jpg (Filesize: 163.76 KB)

* AMPC-ShoveIt-Improved (2).jpg (Filesize: 339.06 KB)

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: July 07, 2022, 10:38:02 PM
Last improvement for now : sternum straps.
This mod is still a prototype, the straps and locks are salvaged from one of my older bags and re-assembled/modified to fit here.
The straps go through the existing Hypalon straps loops and are locked using snap fasteners for reversibility (and so I can improve them easily).

* AMPC-ShoveIt-Improved (7).jpg (Filesize: 172.74 KB)

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: July 08, 2022, 08:22:11 AM
And the easiest improvement yet is adding positive grip zipper pulls like the ones you can find on Maxpedition or Vanquest packs

* AMPC-ShoveIt-Improved (8).jpg (Filesize: 195.04 KB)

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Reply #4 on: July 08, 2022, 02:20:12 PM
What makes carry kit good is how well it can be adapted, modded or generally made to fit with other kit.... and Mat, you seem to be quite handy with the needle and thread, so the AMP series probably is a pretty good base for you.
I can't say I'm particularly into it myself, although I loved 5.11's adverts for it with Noah Harris!

Personally I'm a fan of their more traditional MOLLE kit, as it plays better with accessories from other manufacturers. This becomes important when I use things like IFAK pouches, as no one manufacturer's entire ecosystem is ever even close to perfection. My current set is a MOAB10 slingpack for my personal use, and a Rush12 for when I'm carrying all the kids' kit on a day out.

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: July 08, 2022, 03:36:02 PM
Basically I made a smaller AMP10 out of this AMPC, what sold me to the AMP line was how customizable they are : both with 5.11 Gear Sets, but also with third parts either using the Velcro part or with Hexgrid/velcro-to-MOLLE+adapters and I wanted to stay low (meaning no apparent MOLLE).

I used a Köhler sewing machine from the 70s, for most of the work, and finished using hand sewing for touch ups, not super clean but good enough :)

Rush line up is sure cool, not low key enough for me, but a nice base for modules! what IFAK pouches do you use? (I use a Vanquest FTIM  6x9, but I am looking for something better)

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Reply #6 on: July 08, 2022, 11:20:53 PM
MOLLE kit isn't quite as obviously tacti-cool in the UK, especially if you do it right and mix other colours in. Bright patches also help, and you typically look more like a Go Outdoors sort of person, rather than a combat cabbage.

Rush line up is sure cool, not low key enough for me, but a nice base for modules! what IFAK pouches do you use? (I use a Vanquest FTIM  6x9, but I am looking for something better)
My main kit is in a Condor Ripaway EMT pouch (their product code MA41), which is spacious enough that I can fit a CAT, Israeli bandage, Blast bandage, chest seals, a bunch of other dressings and all the usual first aid bits... but still in a compact package that keeps everything organised and accessible. It's the one that covers most of my bases, especially when working out on site. Doesn't suit everyone, but it does things the way I like.

I supplement this with a small pocket FAK that lives in my cargo pants (random Chinese-made thing off Amazon), and a Helikon-Tex micro med kit makes a great ouch pouch in a jacket pocket for when the kiddies get cuts and grazes.

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: July 09, 2022, 02:17:30 AM
Thank you a lot !

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30