Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Lesson learned, I'm not a hammock guy

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Lesson learned, I'm not a hammock guy
on: July 07, 2018, 11:56:44 AM
Summer is here and as I love the outdoors it was time to do something I have been dreaming of for ages. Kayaking to an island and spend the night in a hammock.

I have been on camping sites and used a tarp and tents in the woods sleeping on the ground, so not an expert but not a beginner either.

I found my island (not far from home) and paddle out there with my gear to make my first kayak overnighter. The friend that was supposed to join me could not come. That is one of the reasons I choose this island.

Anyhow I got there and enjoyed the view and all the birds and the sea, pitched my tarp and my hammock, took some pics and really thought that life is awlsome

Then it was time to get cozy and prepare for night and this is when I realized my first mistake, taking a nap in a hammock or just take a break on the trail is NOT the same thing as finding a comfortable position with sleeping bag and groundpad! I found a position soon enough that was ok but not more.

My second mistake was that I did not have any Mosquito net! Usually when I camp I have a fire going, this time I had not.

So laying there uncomfortable, Mosquitos buzzing around and quite bored to be honest, I came to the conclusion that I don't have anything to prove to anyone but myself and I took it as a lesson. I packed up my gear in the pitch black darkness and headed back to my kayak. Loaded it up and started to paddle.

This is quite stupid because I don't have any lanterns, only my headlamp and reflective strings aroundy kayak, but I had contact with a friend that was up all night and knew where I was. And there was only one boat out at the same time being tugged in another direction.

Back on shore, loading my car back up I felt quite good. I'm not a hammock guy, but night paddle was one of the coolest things I've done in a long time!

If I my friend had come with me, or I would have slept on the ground or with the comfort of a Mosquito net I might have stayed there all night and being able to enjoy the nice morning shine and making coffee, listening to the world starting up but then I would have never tested night kayaking.

I will keep my hammock for those lazy days or to take a break at the trail but now I'm looking for lanterns and reading up on night paddle!

[It's not failure if you learn something from it]

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Lesson learned, I'm not a hammock guy
Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 12:22:50 PM
Ripping pics mate, thank you.   :cheers:

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Reply #2 on: July 07, 2018, 12:41:25 PM

:like:

Night paddling is awesome. At the moment where I live (ireland) the water is quite warm and the bio luminescence from the phytoplankton is spectacular. Headlight and a strobe on my ba is the only light I carry and use neither unless there's a need but I'm usually with someone as well.
I think you were covered safety wise someone on shore knew where and what you were doing

:cheers:

Kayak camping is the best you can pack so much gear into a kayak
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Reply #3 on: July 07, 2018, 12:42:22 PM

+1 great pics
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #4 on: July 07, 2018, 12:48:28 PM
Sorry it didn't work out for you. Glad you had a safe journey back. Alone. In the dark. Risking an accident. Don't you ever do that again, young man!

:twak: :twak:
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 12:49:45 PM by pfrsantos »

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: July 07, 2018, 01:01:34 PM

:like:

Night paddling is awesome. At the moment where I live (ireland) the water is quite warm and the bio luminescence from the phytoplankton is spectacular. Headlight and a strobe on my ba is the only light I carry and use neither unless there's a need but I'm usually with someone as well.
I think you were covered safety wise someone on shore knew where and what you were doing

Kayak camping is the best you can pack so much gear into a kayak
I might try that! And perhaps a reflective vest?

I will try it again but without the hammock!

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: July 07, 2018, 01:01:46 PM
Thanks!

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: July 07, 2018, 01:02:47 PM
Sorry it didn't work out for you. Glad you had a safe journey back. Alone. In the dark. Risking an accident. Don't you ever do that again, young man!

:twak: :twak:
I learned something so I'm happy anyway!

Hehe my gf said the same thing but with more light I will do it again

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: July 09, 2018, 09:48:35 AM
Don't give up on hammocks yet......

I've had as many good as bad nights in a hammock, about the only way I can sleep comfortably outside.

Bad nights have always been due to cold......convection.....you can feel the ice cold hammock through a sleeping bag.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: July 09, 2018, 09:57:51 AM
Sounds like a good trip mate.  :tu:  Personally I'm not a fan of solo camping either, though I have done it.  Not for any safely reasons but, as you say, it can get kind of boring without some others to talk too and laugh with.  Being able to say "do you remember when..." to someone is a big part of the whole experience. 
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: July 09, 2018, 10:48:56 AM
Don't give up on hammocks yet......

I've had as many good as bad nights in a hammock, about the only way I can sleep comfortably outside.

Bad nights have always been due to cold......convection.....you can feel the ice cold hammock through a sleeping bag.
Well, my problem was mostly to find a comfortable way to sleep in it, I have a good groundpad so the cold wasn't a problem (it might have been if I stayed all night) that and I kept sliding down so my feets where higher up than my heart and my blood circulation is quite bad so my feets are falling asleep.

I might try again, but with the groundpad inside the sleeping bag maybe

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: July 09, 2018, 10:49:22 AM
Sounds like a good trip mate.  :tu:  Personally I'm not a fan of solo camping either, though I have done it.  Not for any safely reasons but, as you say, it can get kind of boring without some others to talk too and laugh with.  Being able to say "do you remember when..." to someone is a big part of the whole experience.
I'm with you, that might have made all the difference

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: July 09, 2018, 03:06:26 PM
Bummer the hammock didn't work out.  It might be a case of trying it again and again to see if a comfortable sleeping position can be had.  Great pics and a lovely spot to camp.
Esse Quam Videri

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: July 09, 2018, 03:08:17 PM
From what you describe you probably had it setup incorrectly.

Also, you need to sleep diagonally if the hammock allows, if not, get another hammock.  :D https://www.google.com.na/search?q=hammock+diagonal+lay&rlz=1C1EJFA_enNA793NA793&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjOlNGlipLcAhXLCMAKHd2lDUMQsAQIJA&biw=1918&bih=974

Because of my size & weight I struggle to sleep comfortably when camping, as mentioned I sleep like a baby in my hammock.....except for cold due to convection...

Only major problem here is the lack of trees  :facepalm:

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: July 09, 2018, 03:11:13 PM

I've solo camped more than a few times.......people tend to think I'm crazy for doing that.  :whistle:

Most of these were next to the Orange river, there are Leopards about, but you'd need to be very unlucky for them to be a threat.

Still.....most people are scared of the dark  :cheers:

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: July 09, 2018, 03:37:55 PM
From what you describe you probably had it setup incorrectly.

Also, you need to sleep diagonally if the hammock allows, if not, get another hammock.  :D https://www.google.com.na/search?q=hammock+diagonal+lay&rlz=1C1EJFA_enNA793NA793&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjOlNGlipLcAhXLCMAKHd2lDUMQsAQIJA&biw=1918&bih=974

Because of my size & weight I struggle to sleep comfortably when camping, as mentioned I sleep like a baby in my hammock.....except for cold due to convection...

Only major problem here is the lack of trees  :facepalm:
I have been looking a bit at that direction too, and I've also seen dd hammocks with dual layer sp I can put the ground pad between the layers and won't slip around on it.

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: July 09, 2018, 03:40:17 PM

I've solo camped more than a few times.......people tend to think I'm crazy for doing that.  :whistle:

Most of these were next to the Orange river, there are Leopards about, but you'd need to be very unlucky for them to be a threat.

Still.....most people are scared of the dark  :cheers:
Sound wonderful! The dark can be scary but I have a lot of headlamps and flashlights

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: July 09, 2018, 03:55:30 PM
I'll go camping in the dark before I go rowing in the dark!  :rofl:

It's about self-reliance and self confidence  :tu:

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: July 09, 2018, 04:06:22 PM
Same here! I did take it in that order, I have been camping before, but never in a hammock and not that often alone

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: July 09, 2018, 06:08:54 PM
Just thought about another measure against mosquitos.  Have you tried Thermacell?  I have a few now and rate them high.  Might be an idea to look into in addition to your netting. 
Esse Quam Videri

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: July 09, 2018, 06:49:32 PM
Just thought about another measure against mosquitos.  Have you tried Thermacell?  I have a few now and rate them high.  Might be an idea to look into in addition to your netting.
Will Google it right away!

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: July 12, 2022, 08:41:27 AM
So I tried it again! A good friend of mine got a hammock as a gift from his wife and asked me if I wanted to go camping this summer. I said yes and ordered a mosquito net after my experience last time. I got the net and decided to test it. YouTube a few videos and figured out what I did wrong the other times I tried hammocking.

This time I used the net, good weather so no tarp, ground pad and the sleeping bag as a blanket instead of around me.

Boy did I sleep good! Woke up a few times but always warm and could go back to sleep, no bugs, no slippering around and a beautiful morning. Did this test in my backyard and now I'm ready to go out with my friend

* 20220711_150645.jpg (Filesize: 186.95 KB)

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #22 on: July 12, 2022, 12:17:47 PM
This thread might need a new title!  :D  Glad to hear this worked better for you.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: July 12, 2022, 01:30:30 PM
I think it can stay, it does tell the history

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #24 on: July 12, 2022, 05:20:03 PM
I have been thinking of a hammock for years, but I just don't know if it would work for me.  I have a real hard time sleeping on my back, and I can't see a hammock working any other way.  But, I love the idea of basically having a small tent strung between trees.  It also seems like something that would fit wonderfully in my kayak, making it seem that much more perfect.

I am glad to hear that yours is working out for you, and I would love to know more about it if you have any other thoughts or observations to spare.  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: July 12, 2022, 06:29:20 PM
I have been thinking of a hammock for years, but I just don't know if it would work for me.  I have a real hard time sleeping on my back, and I can't see a hammock working any other way.  But, I love the idea of basically having a small tent strung between trees.  It also seems like something that would fit wonderfully in my kayak, making it seem that much more perfect.

I am glad to hear that yours is working out for you, and I would love to know more about it if you have any other thoughts or observations to spare.  :D

Def

I have the same problem as you have and can't sleep on my back. I get dizzy.. And this worried me too, but after looking at a few videos and trying different ways and finding the right tension while suspending the hammock I did sleep on my side last night. So I'm happy to report that it works. Don't know for stomach sleepers though  :think:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%