Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gone snorkeling

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Gone snorkeling
on: July 10, 2022, 09:50:38 PM
The weather was nice again this weekend so we took the opportunity to go snorkeling at a (not so) local beach we enjoy.  It was a great opportunity to try a new snorkel mask I had gotten last summer bit never used!

The blue one (pictured below) is my new mask, and I like it because one spout is for inhaling and the other is for exhaling.

The single spout masks are, in my opinion, far superior to the traditional snorkel and mask combo, and I have to say, this new mask is just as much an increase over that!

You can see the equipment all drying in the sun after snorkeling- I always rinse the salt water off when we get home.  Left to right, my shorty flippers (I always use shorty flippers because my messed up ankles can't take the pressure of a full length set), my black full face mask (brought in case the blue one was a fail), my new blue mask (I look like a complete idiot, but I don't care!), Megan's white full face mask and Megan's shorty flippers.

So what makes this double spout mask better?  Simple- when you exhale in the single spout mask, the CO2 doesn't all leave the mask before you inhale again, and you start to get a bit lightheaded as you breathe in much of the same air you just tried to breathe out- not enough to harm you, but enough to notice.  With the double spout mask, the air goes out one side and fresh, clean air comes in the other.

Anyways, the water was still cold and, as usual for the first of the season I fought a panic attack as my body refused to believe that I could breathe underwater.  Now that is out of the way, I should be good for the rest of the season! 

We weren't out that long and didn't see much more than minnows, hermit crabs and the odd mackerel, but that's okay because Great White sharks are often seen in the area, and I'm very glad we didn't spot one of those!

According to Ocearch, Hal and Tancook were in the area today.  Tancook is only 9.75 feet long and estimated at 715 pounds, while Hal was closer and is 12 and a half feet long and 1420 pounds... give or take!

Keji, just over 9 and a half feet and a mere 579 pounds wasn't far either....  :facepalm:

https://www.ocearch.org/tracker/

Anyways, had a great time and didn't get eaten again!  What more could you ask for?   :D

Def

* 16574815874742.jpg (Filesize: 218.59 KB)

* 16574815874421.jpg (Filesize: 132.49 KB)

* 16574815873890.jpg (Filesize: 223.49 KB)
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Online SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Gone snorkeling
Reply #1 on: July 10, 2022, 11:11:10 PM
I used to love snorkeling when I was a kid. :like: :tu:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: July 10, 2022, 11:17:46 PM
I still love snorkeling as a much larger kid.   :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #3 on: July 11, 2022, 02:07:20 AM
Way to go Def!!  :tu: :tu:
Barry

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: July 11, 2022, 02:25:49 AM
Nice.  A day at the beach is always enjoyable. 
Esse Quam Videri

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #5 on: July 11, 2022, 07:44:31 AM
We are used to more revealing shots from Grant. No Mankini shot or anything similar.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #6 on: July 11, 2022, 02:09:11 PM
 :facepalm:
Barry

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: July 11, 2022, 03:45:52 PM
 :o
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #8 on: July 11, 2022, 11:15:28 PM
Sounds like an enjoyable time, after getting past the anxiety.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: July 12, 2022, 05:56:23 PM
Sounds like an enjoyable time, after getting past the anxiety.

It really is.  I enjoy it a lot, but it is hard work to convince your body that it is okay when it is suddenly plunged into cold water and told it can still breathe.  It is a very strange feeling, and as someone who is not prone to panic attacks, it is a very discomforting feeling.  It is kind of fascinating though, to be able to watch with a sound mind as the body naturally reacts without your input- my breathing increases significantly (hyperventilating) and the edges of my vision disappear while everything directly in front of me comes into sharp focus, and my heart starts racing, pumping as much blood into my extremities as it can.

Still not a lot of fun though, but I know it's going to happen and there's nothing I can do to stop it, so I just go with it and ride it out.

Def

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: July 13, 2022, 03:28:38 PM
I'm sure that mask covering your full face doesn't help the brains response.  Good that you can observe whats going on and ride it out. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Fireman

• No Life Club
  • Truck Monkey
Reply #11 on: July 19, 2022, 12:15:24 PM
The weather was nice again this weekend

Anyways, the water was still cold

Well, you won't get Vibrio in that water, but that's way too cold (at least for a Florida boy).   Thanks for posting the shark website!  It's interesting that we've had a Great White in the area, but it's the small sharks that bite here.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: July 19, 2022, 07:45:18 PM
Yeah, we have warm water on the other side of the province- in fact, the warmest water north of the Carolinas.

Where I am it's just smurfing cold.

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: July 24, 2022, 05:08:27 PM
Water is beautiful today, and we were enjoying a nice swim until Megan kicked a crab that she thought was a shark, and the crab flipped her off and we had to leave.

May try again shortly!

Def

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: July 25, 2022, 04:23:35 PM
 :rofl: Nothing like a pissed off crab.   
Esse Quam Videri

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: July 25, 2022, 06:15:28 PM
Ever laugh so hard you can't breathe?  Imagine doing that underwater in a snorkel.

Def

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #16 on: July 29, 2022, 02:47:59 PM
I went snorkeling once... only once... in Bermuda.

Imagine a full grown adult man screaming through the snorkel tube when the biggest freaking fish I ever saw swam by me.  Add to that the terror of the goggles making everything look closer than it actually is, and me frantically trying to grab my wife's foot to slow her down but it always being "just" out of reach...

Not sure I'll ever go again.
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: July 30, 2022, 02:24:44 AM
I dunno, I would have thought after our trip to Florida, very few things would scare you!

When Chester isn't the scariest thing you encounter in a day I am pretty certain all other phobias disappear!

Def

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #18 on: July 30, 2022, 10:57:58 PM
Here's one of me "snoobering" just off Ningaloo Reef (WA) about 20 years ago  :ahhh)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ningaloo_Coast

* Oz 2002a.jpg (Filesize: 197.97 KB)
They don't like it up 'em!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: July 31, 2022, 02:24:33 AM
I'd love to dive in a cool place like that!

Def

us Offline Old Happy Tiger

Reply #20 on: August 08, 2022, 07:02:20 PM
The weather was nice again this weekend so we took the opportunity to go snorkeling at a (not so) local beach we enjoy.  It was a great opportunity to try a new snorkel mask I had gotten last summer bit never used!

Cool, I love the beach.. But In general where are you at? Way up north in Canada?
"One day as a tiger is worth a thousand as a sheep."

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: August 08, 2022, 07:44:20 PM
That depends on where in the US you are.  If you are in Maine, I'm just a little north- if you are in Texas, then yeah, I'm way up North!

I'm in Halifax, Nove Scotia, which is that bit of land sticking out just above New England.   :D

Def

us Offline Old Happy Tiger

Reply #22 on: August 09, 2022, 12:15:41 AM
That depends on where in the US you are.  If you are in Maine, I'm just a little north- if you are in Texas, then yeah, I'm way up North!

I'm in Halifax, Nove Scotia, which is that bit of land sticking out just above New England.   :D

Def

LOL..  I live in South Eastern, U.S.A... I used to work in New England. I also used to visit Maine all the time so I know those areas very well. My family, are originally bluenosers going way back to 1700 (really)  :hatsoff:  . Primarily Annapolis county. I actually still have cousins (further down in the generations) up there. I never been there yet, I really want to go at some point and fly up there and spend like a week in Annapolis county.
"One day as a tiger is worth a thousand as a sheep."

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #23 on: August 09, 2022, 06:05:16 PM
Definitely a beautiful spot to be.  Just stay out of the mountains and don't admit to having any family there!  Trust me on that one...

I'm actually heading that way for a few days next week.  I'm really looking forward to it, although I doubt there will be much snorkeling available despite being right on the water- there's a bit of a bluff I'm not interested in high diving off!   :ahhh

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%