Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Aluminium liners in alox SAKs?

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Aluminium liners in alox SAKs?
on: July 31, 2022, 06:05:40 AM
I had some spare coin & bought a nice new Cadet for kicks. And you know what? The liners are aluminium not nickel silver.  I’d just learned about this change & hoped I’d strike old gold.

Anyone know when Vic made this change? I feel a touch of class has gone. ☹️
Rambler

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Re: Aluminium liners in alox SAKs?
Reply #1 on: August 01, 2022, 02:36:08 AM
Not sure when the changeover occurred, but this is disappointing news.  The nickel silver liners were one of the factors that contributed to the legendary durability of the alox lines.

us Offline Bunk Tuppins

Reply #2 on: August 01, 2022, 04:19:08 AM
I'm puzzled about what you mean by liners in a Cadet.  Here's a pic of a recent one.  There is a very low divider in the center which is not that easy to see in the pic.  Is that what you mean by liner? The alox itself is the outer liner.

* 009a.jpg (Filesize: 339.55 KB)

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: August 01, 2022, 05:22:03 PM
I'm puzzled about what you mean by liners in a Cadet.  Here's a pic of a recent one.  There is a very low divider in the center which is not that easy to see in the pic.  Is that what you mean by liner? The alox itself is the outer liner.
Yes, the alox on the outside functions as both scale and liner in one.  The liners on alox SAKs are only between layers.  I think they are sometimes easier to see from the back side…

* IMG_0412.jpg (Filesize: 53.29 KB)

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 01, 2022, 07:27:17 PM
All of my cadets' liners look identical, with a range of 2016, 2017 LE, and new enough to have the new style file  :dunno:
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #5 on: August 03, 2022, 12:47:54 PM
OK, time to feel relief & admit embarrassment! I've had a look at the liner under cooler light & am pleased to report it does appear to be nickel silver. I can see the faint brass colour of the metal. The other day it looked more silvery next to the liners on my other alox knives.

It makes me wonder if reports of Vic changing the liner metal to aluminium are mistaken. The OP in the thread below believed his new PX had Al liners. They do look different to two other older knives next to it, but perhaps the appearance turned out to be a trick of the light there, too.

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=83818.0

Rambler

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: August 03, 2022, 04:15:27 PM
OK, time to feel relief & admit embarrassment! I've had a look at the liner under cooler light & am pleased to report it does appear to be nickel silver. I can see the faint brass colour of the metal. The other day it looked more silvery next to the liners on my other alox knives.

It makes me wonder if reports of Vic changing the liner metal to aluminium are mistaken. The OP in the thread below believed his new PX had Al liners. They do look different to two other older knives next to it, but perhaps the appearance turned out to be a trick of the light there, too.

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=83818.0
Glad to hear this hasn’t actually been changed!
:tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD