Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

General Victorinox Conversation

00 Offline Matcha255

General Victorinox Conversation
on: July 15, 2022, 10:53:09 PM
Ok, this has nothing to do with the banner, but I don't know where to just generally talk, so I went to the first non specific forum I found. Where would I make general Victorinox conversation?

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: General Victorinox Conversation
Reply #1 on: July 15, 2022, 11:19:19 PM
I've moved this off the banner thread so you can make your general chit chat right here.

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #2 on: July 15, 2022, 11:23:15 PM
Here's my general chit chat.

I wish there were more 84mm models! I know, there's the whole 84mm scissors saga, but why isn't there an 84mm version of the Camper/Hiker?

And seriously, about the 84mm scissors... The machine has been sitting there broken for almost 30 years?

What gives?

us Offline powernoodle

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: July 15, 2022, 11:56:03 PM
I really wonder if Victorinox has a strategery of not making exactly what we want, so we continue our buying and buying while looking for the "perfect" SAK.  I think many people would like to see the 84mm lineup expanded.

:salute:

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 16, 2022, 12:30:57 AM
Here's my general chit chat.

I wish there were more 84mm models! I know, there's the whole 84mm scissors saga, but why isn't there an 84mm version of the Camper/Hiker?

And seriously, about the 84mm scissors... The machine has been sitting there broken for almost 30 years?

What gives?
Well, there is the Walker, though it loses a few tools vs. Camper or Hiker.

I strongly suspect the bit about the 84mm scissor machine being broken for decades isn’t based in fact.

Rather, I suspect that Vic believes anyone who really wants the expanded tool selection will simply step up to 91 mm, or at least the 85 mm Delemonts.  And ultimately, while I know a lot of folks here fantasize about an expanded 84 mm line, I tend to agree with Vic on this.  Having owned and carried both 84 mm and 91 mm knives, I just don’t see the big deal with with carrying a knife that is 7 mm longer closed in order to get the desired tool set (unless one is trying to walk a fine line on an obscure local blade length ordinance or something of that nature).

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #5 on: July 16, 2022, 02:37:08 AM
Well, there is the Walker, though it loses a few tools vs. Camper or Hiker.

I strongly suspect the bit about the 84mm scissor machine being broken for decades isn’t based in fact.

Rather, I suspect that Vic believes anyone who really wants the expanded tool selection will simply step up to 91 mm, or at least the 85 mm Delemonts.  And ultimately, while I know a lot of folks here fantasize about an expanded 84 mm line, I tend to agree with Vic on this.  Having owned and carried both 84 mm and 91 mm knives, I just don’t see the big deal with with carrying a knife that is 7 mm longer closed in order to get the desired tool set (unless one is trying to walk a fine line on an obscure local blade length ordinance or something of that nature).

Oh yeah, I’m sure Victorinox knows better than anyone which knives/sizes sell better than others, etc. My comment was more along the lines of a letter to Santa than a well reasoned business argument.

And while I do find that the difference in size is noticeable for pocket carry, I like the 91mm SAKs a lot too. So, it’s not like I’m NOT buying a particular knife for that reason or anything.

Since the Wenger acquisition, I have to think that the real reason Victorinox hasn’t brought back the 84mm scissors is because it would be too much competition with the Delemont line, which would be competing with themselves at this point.

00 Offline Matcha255

Reply #6 on: July 16, 2022, 10:00:55 AM
So 84 mm is small tinker size 91 is standard size, 51 is keychain size and 111mm is big size? To be sure.

Offline Kaelriee

Reply #7 on: July 16, 2022, 10:14:36 AM
So 84 mm is small tinker size 91 is standard size, 51 is keychain size and 111mm is big size? To be sure.
58, not 51

00 Offline Matcha255

Reply #8 on: July 16, 2022, 02:38:10 PM
ok.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #9 on: July 16, 2022, 02:50:18 PM
I've given in and just started buying 'Champs... Swisschamp, Workchamp, Minichamp.  It cuts the number of SAKs needed to a minimum  :rofl:.
Barry

00 Offline Matcha255

Reply #10 on: July 16, 2022, 02:50:54 PM
Asking anyone knowledgable about SAK modding.

Would it be possible to incorporate the 58 mm combo tool into the back of a 91 mm?

00 Offline Matcha255

Reply #11 on: July 16, 2022, 02:52:56 PM
Barry.

I though the point of a champ was to only need one.

Still fun, can you show some of them.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #12 on: July 16, 2022, 02:55:29 PM
Asking anyone knowledgable about SAK modding.

Would it be possible to incorporate the 58 mm combo tool into the back of a 91 mm?
It was done here very recently Matcha.  Someone incorporated the caplifter/Philips screwdriver from a Minichamp into the backside toolset on a custom SAK.  I can't remember the thread :facepalm:
Barry

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #13 on: July 16, 2022, 02:56:37 PM
 :rofl: You're right, I can't help myself!  I'll get a group pic and post it here. 
Barry.

I though the point of a champ was to only need one.

Still fun, can you show some of them.
Barry

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #14 on: July 16, 2022, 05:07:00 PM
I've given in and just started buying 'Champs... Swisschamp, Workchamp, Minichamp.  It cuts the number of SAKs needed to a minimum  :rofl:.

I don’t know about champs, but I do find the Evolution S557 very tempting for some reason.

00 Offline Matcha255

Reply #15 on: July 16, 2022, 05:27:21 PM
If you find the mod with the 58 mm combo tool please show me Barry. :)

de Offline tinker gnome

Reply #16 on: July 16, 2022, 05:51:03 PM
Hi Matcha,

I aint Barry, but maybe I can help. Look here: https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,9348.270.html , page ten, lower half of page.
Best regards and stay safe,

Wolfgang

us Offline Explorer

Reply #17 on: July 16, 2022, 08:13:59 PM
Did someone say..

General Victorinox  ?

00 Offline Matcha255

Reply #18 on: July 16, 2022, 08:40:21 PM
I wonder where I'd want the 58 mm combo tool (I call it 58ct from now on) on my knife.

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #19 on: July 17, 2022, 12:27:16 AM
I wonder where I'd want the 58 mm combo tool (I call it 58ct from now on) on my knife.

I really like the 58mm combo tool. But I don’t know if I would want it on the back spring of a 91mm SAK. A lot of the utility comes from the knife itself being small enough to not get in the way.

Maybe if it could be mounted in line?

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: July 17, 2022, 05:02:03 AM
I don’t know about champs, but I do find the Evolution S557 very tempting for some reason.
Don't give in to temptation.

I bought one. Not a favorite. See my write up at the end of the Daredevil Challenge last August:
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,85763.msg2275425.html#msg2275425

Of course, this is just my $.02 and your mileage may vary.
SAKs:
58mm: Bijou (3), Classic SD (6), Cavalier, Mini Champ Plus (mod), Alox Classic SD, Rambler (3), Companion
65mm: Wenger Esquire
74mm: Executive
84mm: Bantam
85mm: Evolution S557, Serrated Commander, Traveler, Evolution 18
91mm: Champion "c", Swiss Champ (4), Explorer (3), Deluxe Tinker, Climber, Huntsman, Serrated Spartan/Weekender, Explorer Plus, Deluxe Explorer Plus (mod), Outdoorsman Plus, Spartan, Champion "a", Champion Plus, Timekeeper Alarm, Golfer
93mm: Pioneer Alox

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #21 on: July 17, 2022, 08:11:54 AM
Don't give in to temptation.

I bought one. Not a favorite. See my write up at the end of the Daredevil Challenge last August:
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,85763.msg2275425.html#msg2275425

Well…. It’s too late! I found a nice looking used S557 on eBay for what looked like a reasonable price and bought it.

But I’ll definitely read through the thread you linked. I’ll give S557 a shot and see how I like it. I’ve never owned a  Delemont before.

I suppose I can always sell it myself if it doesn’t work for me.

I guess the reason I like the look of the S557 is that I have really, really grown to love the Deluxe Tinker in the short time I’ve owned it (and can’t wait to get it back in my pocket after the Spartan Challenge is over). I like the pliers and find them pretty useful.

To me it looked like the S557 would be the DT plus some extra goodies on top. But… I guess we’ll see.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2022, 08:18:40 AM by marlowe221 »

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: July 17, 2022, 09:20:11 AM

...no it won't...

00 Offline Matcha255

Reply #23 on: July 17, 2022, 10:29:15 AM
How hard is it to replace abs scales with alox ones? If it's even possible.

ch Offline Sneider

• No Life Club
  • A little more seriousness would scoobi-do us good.
Reply #24 on: July 17, 2022, 05:03:22 PM
yes, let's talk about
- better blade steel
- of course 84mm scissors
- 84mm plus scales
- other Alox colors and patterns
- Titanium, Micarta and G10 scales from Victorinox
- small drop point blade on alox models
- An extendable pin on 84 and 91mm Cellidor scales (same as 58mm)
and...
and...
 :pommel:
 ;)
If you want to be happy, be.
(Leo Tolstoy)

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: July 17, 2022, 08:45:48 PM
How hard is it to replace abs scales with alox ones? If it's even possible.
I don’t think a direct swap would be very straightforward, though someone has probably done it.

Perhaps an easier option would be to purchase metal scales (ebay and etsy are a couple of options) designed for the cellidor size you want.  Once you have the scales, it should be simple to remove the cellidor and apply the new metal scales with a bit of glue or epoxy.

us Offline Farmer X

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: July 18, 2022, 04:24:58 AM
Other Alox colors and patterns
Yes! Victorinox has proven they're able to do this; now let's see 'em on something other than a Classic SD.
USN 2000-2006

One to four layers of SAK is (usually) best for me.

If you have absolutely nothing better to do, my YouTube channel is awlways an option:

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCWA0VjH6v3WS6gvLkPGk9KA/

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: July 18, 2022, 05:19:34 AM
Well…. It’s too late! I found a nice looking used S557 on eBay for what looked like a reasonable price and bought it.

But I’ll definitely read through the thread you linked. I’ll give S557 a shot and see how I like it. I’ve never owned a  Delemont before.

I suppose I can always sell it myself if it doesn’t work for me.

I guess the reason I like the look of the S557 is that I have really, really grown to love the Deluxe Tinker in the short time I’ve owned it (and can’t wait to get it back in my pocket after the Spartan Challenge is over). I like the pliers and find them pretty useful.

To me it looked like the S557 would be the DT plus some extra goodies on top. But… I guess we’ll see.
I hope you like it more than I did.   ;)

I still have mine, but it just stays on my desk. I've used it a few times for the scissors when I was cutting something thick. And it's my only locking-blade SAK so that's come in handy a few times when I've been really going at something with the blade.

Let us know what you think of it!
SAKs:
58mm: Bijou (3), Classic SD (6), Cavalier, Mini Champ Plus (mod), Alox Classic SD, Rambler (3), Companion
65mm: Wenger Esquire
74mm: Executive
84mm: Bantam
85mm: Evolution S557, Serrated Commander, Traveler, Evolution 18
91mm: Champion "c", Swiss Champ (4), Explorer (3), Deluxe Tinker, Climber, Huntsman, Serrated Spartan/Weekender, Explorer Plus, Deluxe Explorer Plus (mod), Outdoorsman Plus, Spartan, Champion "a", Champion Plus, Timekeeper Alarm, Golfer
93mm: Pioneer Alox

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #28 on: July 18, 2022, 05:55:03 AM
I hope you like it more than I did.   ;)

I still have mine, but it just stays on my desk. I've used it a few times for the scissors when I was cutting something thick. And it's my only locking-blade SAK so that's come in handy a few times when I've been really going at something with the blade.

Let us know what you think of it!

I will!

I’m kind of in a collection building phase right now so I’ve been buying quite a few SAKs lately - a few new but mostly used ones. I don’t expect to love them all, so it’s ok if I find out that a few of them are not for me.

Part of this process is learning what I really need/want versus what I only THINK would be cool, etc.

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Reply #29 on: July 18, 2022, 10:14:43 AM
I don’t expect to love them all, so it’s ok if I find out that a few of them are not for me.
I don't love the S557 and generally find my personal dislikes tend to match with the findings of other owners... and yet I do still carry it at times, as I find a few things surprisingly useful. In the right context, the universal wrench can do things that even the Vic pliers cannot.
There are also a couple of mods you can do to make some things more workable and less problematic,

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
August Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: $36.00
PayPal Fees: $2.24
Net Balance: $33.76
Below Goal: $266.24
Site Currency: USD
 11%