Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

General Victorinox Conversation

it Offline Andrew

• New User
Re: General Victorinox Conversation
Reply #30 on: July 18, 2022, 01:25:17 PM
Oh yeah, I’m sure Victorinox knows better than anyone which knives/sizes sell better than others, etc. My comment was more along the lines of a letter to Santa than a well reasoned business argument.

And while I do find that the difference in size is noticeable for pocket carry, I like the 91mm SAKs a lot too. So, it’s not like I’m NOT buying a particular knife for that reason or anything.

Since the Wenger acquisition, I have to think that the real reason Victorinox hasn’t brought back the 84mm scissors is because it would be too much competition with the Delemont line, which would be competing with themselves at this point.

Sure that's a reason but why don't they expand the delemont line? Wenger had a lot of tools and models for every occasion and they put a lot of innovation through the years. I think that with this strategy they are loosing both 84 and delemont.

us Offline Buzzbait

Reply #31 on: July 18, 2022, 06:07:35 PM
I've given in and just started buying 'Champs... Swisschamp, Workchamp, Minichamp.  It cuts the number of SAKs needed to a minimum  :rofl:.

After my brief flirtation with alox and the Ranger, I'm feeling the strong urge to go back to my beloved SwissChamp. The alox models are shiny and awesome and more minimalist, but I keep running into occasions where I need a tool that I don't have. After three straight years of not having this problem, it's really starting to get to me.

I never even had a good reason to sway away from my SwissChamp. The weight and bulk never bothered me. The toolset was exceptional. I guess I just needed a change. I'd gotten bored with the SwissChamp.

Now, after almost 3 weeks of carrying the Ranger, I'm really missing the SwissChamp. The Ranger is awesome, and maybe the perfect outdoor SAK. But still, in everyday life, I run into problems that the Ranger can't solve. No magnifier last weekend, to help me read the instructions on the back of a spray can of Permethrin. Then yesterday, the tiny tweezers weren't strong enough to pull a particularly large and deep splinter from my finger. I needed those perfect 91mm Vic pliers, but didn't have them.

Okay. That's it. Time for the SwissChamp.... If she'll have my back.

But I totally reserve the right to pull the new red Micarta scales off of my Ranger, and put them on the SwissChamp.

--
'Buzz

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #32 on: July 18, 2022, 06:43:30 PM
Sure that's a reason but why don't they expand the delemont line? Wenger had a lot of tools and models for every occasion and they put a lot of innovation through the years. I think that with this strategy they are loosing both 84 and delemont.

Great question.

Going by the SAKWiki, it looks like the Delemont collection has gone through some discontinuations over time too. Plus, the Delemont knives seem to retail for significantly more than the (roughly) equivalent traditional Victorinox model. At least in the United States, I can get a brand new Climber for almost HALF the price of an Evolution S14. Just looking on Amazon right now, the Climber is $27.99 and the S14 is $45.54 - not quite half, but close enough! Makes it hard to justify buying the S14 unless you REALLY like the size, the contoured scales, or... something.

00 Offline Matcha255

Reply #33 on: July 18, 2022, 07:02:33 PM
Are stay glo 91 mm scales still made?

us Offline Buzzbait

Reply #34 on: July 18, 2022, 07:07:34 PM
Ahhhh. Much better. Mood level rising.

--
'Buzz

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #35 on: July 18, 2022, 07:21:02 PM
Ahhhh. Much better. Mood level rising.

(Image removed from quote.)

Generally speaking, I'm a big fan of the stock red cellidor scales. Plus, I like the non-knife-person-friendly aspect of them. People recognize a red SAK and no one even blinks if you pull one out.

But yours look pretty sharp!

00 Offline Matcha255

Reply #36 on: July 18, 2022, 07:32:20 PM
What do you think of stay glo?

us Offline Rich S

• OLD GEEZER CLUB
Reply #37 on: July 18, 2022, 07:34:41 PM
I'm with Marlowe.  :iagree:   If it ain't red it ain't a SAK !  ;)

(Alox excluded of course)
------------------
SAK Knives Matter
------------------

00 Offline Matcha255

Reply #38 on: July 18, 2022, 07:38:24 PM
That isn't true, what about clear scales?

00 Offline Matcha255

Reply #39 on: July 18, 2022, 07:38:41 PM
Or tourist marketed printed scales?

us Offline Buzzbait

Reply #40 on: July 18, 2022, 07:54:01 PM
There is definitely a timeless and classic nature to the red scaled Victorinox. The aesthetic puts me at peace, instantly conveying a distinctly non-tactical nature. And I say non-tactical in a very good way. Non-threatening, yet still eminently useful.  Nothing mall-ninja about a good SAK. Classic red conveys the knife as being more of a gentleman's pocket toolbox than anything else.

I just choose to go with Micarta because I love the material. Much more robust than cellidor, and feels warmer in the hand.

But I'm open to other colors on cellidor, from time to time. I have both yellow and green scales on my two Explorers, and like them very much.
--
'Buzz

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #41 on: July 18, 2022, 08:00:18 PM

I'm boring!

I want plain, unadorned red cellidor. Pocket wear on the scales is a plus!

00 Offline Matcha255

Reply #42 on: July 18, 2022, 08:02:54 PM
good point, I think alox is a bit more threatening, but still beautiful.

00 Offline Matcha255

Reply #43 on: July 18, 2022, 08:04:09 PM
Do you think using fire ant in the corkscrew makes a difference?

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: July 19, 2022, 01:03:35 AM
I like it; I carried a Stayglow Climber for years.  The nylon seems more wear resistant than cellidor, and I like the slight texture.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: July 19, 2022, 01:04:23 AM
I’d pass.  They wear quickly and then look like crap IMO.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: July 19, 2022, 01:05:40 AM
Do you think using fire ant in the corkscrew makes a difference?
I prefer the mini-screwdriver in the corkscrew, and a couple of Bic lighters in my pockets.

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Reply #47 on: July 19, 2022, 01:23:36 AM
That isn't true, what about clear scales?
A horrid throwback to late 90s tech, where everything from Gameboys to eco-homes, to stereos, to phones.
The Y2K aesthetic died with the Millenium Bug fears and so should be left to rest in peace.

I'll be ripping all my clear scales off and replacing with proper red ones as soon as I get some free time!

us Offline Buzzbait

Reply #48 on: July 19, 2022, 02:32:26 AM
A horrid throwback to late 90s tech, where everything from Gameboys to eco-homes, to stereos, to phones.
The Y2K aesthetic died with the Millenium Bug fears and so should be left to rest in peace.

I'll be ripping all my clear scales off and replacing with proper red ones as soon as I get some free time!

I was forced to work the night of the Millennium changeover, just in case all the computerized street lights stopped working, or some other crazy horse crap . The most boring New Years of my life. I had a brand new translucent red Cybertool 34 in my pocket. Probably one of the first ones sold in America. I still use it every day at work.
--
'Buzz

00 Offline Bunk Tuppins

Reply #49 on: July 19, 2022, 03:50:59 AM
I was forced to work the night of the Millennium changeover, just in case all the computerized street lights stopped working, or some other crazy horse crap . The most boring New Years of my life. I had a brand new translucent red Cybertool 34 in my pocket. Probably one of the first ones sold in America. I still use it every day at work.

Um, I was an IT guy during that period. I don't know if people realize it but we worked for years leading up to the millennium to fix the problem.  It went off pretty well not because there was no issue or because it was hyped but because numerous companies, departments and programmers worked for years to prevent mishap.  I myself put in a lot of hours on this problem upgrading operating systems to make them compatible. At the changeover I happened to be working at a large airline, ensuring that our system for how much time a tracked part spends on an aircraft kept on working when the year would have (without the fix)  become zero. (Yeah, that's right, thousands of parts on a modern plane have serial numbers which are tracked so the item is pulled off the plane and replaced after a specified period of time and if we don't do that - planes falling out of the sky). The big nothing you saw happen was the result of a lot of planning, effort, and expense. OK back to regularly scheduled programming.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2022, 04:18:33 AM by Bunk Tuppins »

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: July 19, 2022, 05:55:30 AM
I don't love the S557 and generally find my personal dislikes tend to match with the findings of other owners... and yet I do still carry it at times, as I find a few things surprisingly useful. In the right context, the universal wrench can do things that even the Vic pliers cannot.
There are also a couple of mods you can do to make some things more workable and less problematic,
Tasky, I'd love to hear where you've found the wrench useful as that was one of the worse bits I found about the S557. I'm open to new ideas!

Same with mods you've found for it.

I still want to like the S557. Just having a very hard time doing that.
SAKs:
58mm: Bijou (3), Classic SD (6), Cavalier, Mini Champ Plus (mod), Alox Classic SD, Rambler (3), Companion
65mm: Wenger Esquire
74mm: Executive
84mm: Bantam
85mm: Evolution S557, Serrated Commander, Traveler, Evolution 18
91mm: Champion "c", Swiss Champ (4), Explorer (3), Deluxe Tinker, Climber, Huntsman, Serrated Spartan/Weekender, Explorer Plus, Deluxe Explorer Plus (mod), Outdoorsman Plus, Spartan, Champion "a", Champion Plus, Timekeeper Alarm, Golfer
93mm: Pioneer Alox

00 Offline Matcha255

Reply #51 on: July 19, 2022, 10:28:11 AM
I like it; I carried a Stayglow Climber for years.  The nylon seems more wear resistant than cellidor, and I like the slight texture.

I've searched for stay glo and climbers seem to be prevalent, are they still produced?

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #52 on: July 19, 2022, 10:52:43 AM

Well... if I glow there will be trouble. If I stay they will be double...

:think: :think: :dunno:

Show content

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

gb Offline Tasky

Reply #53 on: July 19, 2022, 02:47:27 PM
Tasky, I'd love to hear where you've found the wrench useful as that was one of the worse bits I found about the S557. I'm open to new ideas!
Same with mods you've found for it.
The wrench (it's really a spanner) mostly comes in handy if you use it at an angle, in my case on the back of drawer handles, or in an open space. This latter one you'll typically find on bicycle frames, although I have also use it to adjust some brake, clutch and throttle cables on motorcycles lately. It also works on bolt heads, such as those on tools.

The best mod I saw was filing down the lock lever tab a bit, so it's more rounded and lacks the angled bit at the end, meaning pocket-catching is almost completely eliminated. I've seen a couple of people do this, although I can't find photos at the minute. I'll send you a link if I chance upon them again.

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #54 on: July 19, 2022, 11:23:28 PM
Here's a random question - Has anyone else ever noticed that the can opener on a new SAK can be pretty tight to open?

It's not every time I've bought a new SAK, but at least three times I've had brand a brand new SAK where the can opener is noticeably tighter/harder to open than the other tools.

Is it just me?

gb Offline Tasky

Reply #55 on: July 20, 2022, 02:25:04 AM
Is it just me?
Not just you and not just the can opener. I've got several different tools that offer quite some resistance when you try to open them. Brute force and possibly a bit more lube is probably enough to get it working as you'd like. Might be worth a clean-out and re-oil first, though.

us Offline Buzzbait

Reply #56 on: July 20, 2022, 04:26:07 AM
I’ve found the can opener to consistently be the tightest tool on a 91mm SAK. Not exactly difficult to open. More like lazy to close, as if that layer were just a hair too tight.

I recently replaced the scales on a Vic Ranger. The can opener was fine when new, but lazy after pounding on the new scales.

My older, often used 91mm models, always have fine camp openers. I think the layer loosens up over time.
--
'Buzz

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #57 on: July 20, 2022, 04:47:02 AM
I’ve found the can opener to consistently be the tightest tool on a 91mm SAK. Not exactly difficult to open. More like lazy to close, as if that layer were just a hair too tight.

I recently replaced the scales on a Vic Ranger. The can opener was fine when new, but lazy after pounding on the new scales.

My older, often used 91mm models, always have fine camp openers. I think the layer loosens up over time.

I recently (a couple months ago?) bought a brand new Spartan. The can opener was noticeably harder to open. Not hard like it had no oil or was dirty. Just harder than the other tools on the knife.

A backup Tourist I bought was the same. And a Super Tinker. I’ve managed to work it out on all of them with an additional drop of oil and working the tool open and closed over and over again. So it’s not a huge deal. But it was the same tool consistently enough to make me wonder. 

Like you said though, used SAKs I have bought don’t have this (minor) issue. Some of them have needed cleaning/oiling in general though. But the opener layer must loosen over time/use.

us Offline Farmer X

• No Life Club
Reply #58 on: July 20, 2022, 05:35:48 AM
Part of this process is learning what I really need/want versus what I only THINK would be cool, etc.
It'll take some time, but you'll settle in. I've realized that one to four layers is my sweet spot. Both of my SwissChamps have found appreciative new homes. Anymore, I won't buy a model that I wouldn't carry unless it's a configuration that's no long produced or it has a cool logo.

On that topic...

I’d pass.  They wear quickly and then look like crap IMO.
That is precisely why I very rarely carry SAKs with printed scales. When I do, I buy another to keep awl nice and pretty. Of course, inlaid logos can wear away and look like crap, too...ask me how I know.
USN 2000-2006

One to four layers of SAK is (usually) best for me.

If you have absolutely nothing better to do, my YouTube channel is awlways an option:

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCWA0VjH6v3WS6gvLkPGk9KA/

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #59 on: July 21, 2022, 06:47:11 AM
The wrench (it's really a spanner) mostly comes in handy if you use it at an angle, in my case on the back of drawer handles, or in an open space. This latter one you'll typically find on bicycle frames, although I have also use it to adjust some brake, clutch and throttle cables on motorcycles lately. It also works on bolt heads, such as those on tools.

The best mod I saw was filing down the lock lever tab a bit, so it's more rounded and lacks the angled bit at the end, meaning pocket-catching is almost completely eliminated. I've seen a couple of people do this, although I can't find photos at the minute. I'll send you a link if I chance upon them again.
Thanks, Tasky. I'd heard that the wrench/spanner is good for bike repairs, but I don't ride so haven't tried.

I went a slightly different route with a lock lever tab mod - I bent the angled bit down as far as I could. That helped some with sliding it out of a pocket or sheath. Interesting idea about filing it down.
SAKs:
58mm: Bijou (3), Classic SD (6), Cavalier, Mini Champ Plus (mod), Alox Classic SD, Rambler (3), Companion
65mm: Wenger Esquire
74mm: Executive
84mm: Bantam
85mm: Evolution S557, Serrated Commander, Traveler, Evolution 18
91mm: Champion "c", Swiss Champ (4), Explorer (3), Deluxe Tinker, Climber, Huntsman, Serrated Spartan/Weekender, Explorer Plus, Deluxe Explorer Plus (mod), Outdoorsman Plus, Spartan, Champion "a", Champion Plus, Timekeeper Alarm, Golfer
93mm: Pioneer Alox

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
August Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: $36.00
PayPal Fees: $2.24
Net Balance: $33.76
Below Goal: $266.24
Site Currency: USD