Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

General Victorinox Conversation

us Online SteveP

• No Life Club
Re: General Victorinox Conversation
Reply #60 on: July 21, 2022, 06:52:27 AM
Not just you and not just the can opener. I've got several different tools that offer quite some resistance when you try to open them. Brute force and possibly a bit more lube is probably enough to get it working as you'd like. Might be worth a clean-out and re-oil first, though.
Someone gave me this tip when I was restoring an Explorer with really stiff tools...

Open the tool and press hard on it from side to side a few times. Not enough to warp the liners, of course.  Repeat several times with the tool open different amounts - like fully open, open 3/4 way, open 1/2 way, open 1/4 way.

If the stiffness is being caused by the layers being pressed too tight, this will force things apart more and the tool should snap open and closed better.
SAKs:
58mm: Bijou (3), Classic SD (6), Cavalier, Mini Champ Plus (mod), Alox Classic SD, Rambler (3), Companion
65mm: Wenger Esquire
74mm: Executive
84mm: Bantam
85mm: Evolution S557, Serrated Commander, Traveler, Evolution 18
91mm: Champion "c", Swiss Champ (4), Explorer (3), Deluxe Tinker, Climber, Huntsman, Serrated Spartan/Weekender, Explorer Plus, Deluxe Explorer Plus (mod), Outdoorsman Plus, Spartan, Champion "a", Champion Plus, Timekeeper Alarm, Golfer
93mm: Pioneer Alox

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #61 on: July 21, 2022, 09:18:09 AM
Someone gave me this tip when I was restoring an Explorer with really stiff tools...

Open the tool and press hard on it from side to side a few times. Not enough to warp the liners, of course.  Repeat several times with the tool open different amounts - like fully open, open 3/4 way, open 1/2 way, open 1/4 way.

If the stiffness is being caused by the layers being pressed too tight, this will force things apart more and the tool should snap open and closed better.

Thanks for the tip! I’ll definitely give that a try.

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #62 on: July 21, 2022, 06:41:58 PM

Just wanted to let you know that your tip worked beautifully on my new Spartan’s can opener.

Thanks again!

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #63 on: July 21, 2022, 07:38:56 PM
My random thought of the day:

I would be much more likely to buy an Alox SAK if I could reliably get them in "Victorinox Red."

us Online Farmer X

• No Life Club
Reply #64 on: July 22, 2022, 05:31:17 AM
I would be much more likely to buy an Alox SAK if I could reliably get them in "Victorinox Red."
If you don't object to a dealer's logo, or the Alox being a sort of muted darker red, Knife Center has what you're after. Most of the brighter red Alox I've seen have been Old Cross models.
USN 2000-2006

One to four layers of SAK is (usually) best for me.

If you have absolutely nothing better to do, my YouTube channel is awlways an option:

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCWA0VjH6v3WS6gvLkPGk9KA/

us Online SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #65 on: July 22, 2022, 07:38:06 AM
Just wanted to let you know that your tip worked beautifully on my new Spartan’s can opener.

Thanks again!
Fantastic!
I poked through old posts and found that it was Max Stone who gave me the tip last year. So really he gets the credit.   :hatsoff:
SAKs:
58mm: Bijou (3), Classic SD (6), Cavalier, Mini Champ Plus (mod), Alox Classic SD, Rambler (3), Companion
91mm: Champion "c", Swiss Champ (4), Explorer (3), Deluxe Tinker, Climber, Huntsman, Serrated Spartan/Weekender, Explorer Plus, Deluxe Explorer Plus (mod), Outdoorsman Plus, Spartan, Champion "a", Champion Plus, Timekeeper Alarm, Golfer

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #66 on: July 22, 2022, 04:38:29 PM
I hope you like it more than I did.   ;)

I still have mine, but it just stays on my desk. I've used it a few times for the scissors when I was cutting something thick. And it's my only locking-blade SAK so that's come in handy a few times when I've been really going at something with the blade.

Let us know what you think of it!

I got the S557 in the mail yesterday!

My initial impressions are pretty positive (but real use will tell and I'm doing the Spartan Challenge until August). But...

1. I like the ergonomic scales. I don't find them to be as obtrusive as some people seem to based on written descriptions I've read.

2. The blade lock is pretty cool, the half stop in the blade so you don't chop your fingers is a nice touch, and the lever on the side doesn't get in the way of comfortably holding the knife for me. Maybe it's just how I hold a knife, but the lever being there and sticking up a good bit is no big deal for me. Also, the lever didn't catch on my pocket on the way in or on the way out in my test drive of it - maybe it was the orientation I had it in my pocket (back spring against my leg).

3. The pliers - boy if anyone thinks the Vic pliers are small and useless (personally, I like them) the Wenger style pliers are even smaller. Not just shorter, but thinner. Less substantial all around than the pliers on my Deluxe Tinker. They still may be just as useful, but we'll see.

4. The scissors - I've seen a lot written about the Wenger scissors. I see why people prefer the Vic scissors (which are amazing) but the Wenger scissors seem fine to me. I tested them out on a variety of materials (my wife thought I was a weirdo, digging in the kitchen trash can...) and it seemed to cut everything just fine. If push came to shove, I would choose the Vic scissors over the Wenger ones but it's not like the Wenger ones don't cut or anything.

5. The inline Phillips is a lot stiffer to open than the other tools but... in a way that feels intentional. The knife came to me cleaned and oiled, which was a nice surprise, and the phillips doesn't feel gritty or anything. I think it might be intentionally tight - you don't want that thing closing on you when you're using it. That's a great way to get some busted knuckles. Also, the phillips is the stiffest tool on my Explorer too, so it may be a pattern.

6. The SAK is a lot lighter weight than I expected it to be. I could easily carry it in my pocket with no suspension clip and it would be fine. I put it in my pocket and walked around my house with it for half an hour or so yesterday evening and it didn't annoy me, etc.

I'll stop now! But this is my first Delemont SAK so it's been interesting to see the differences in person and not just a YouTube video or post on Reddit.

Also... Why are the Delemont SAKs so dang expensive relative to the traditional Vic models???
« Last Edit: July 22, 2022, 05:32:00 PM by marlowe221 »

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Reply #67 on: August 04, 2022, 02:58:23 AM
Tasky, I'd love to hear where you've found the wrench useful as that was one of the worse bits I found about the S557. I'm open to new ideas!
Here's an example: https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,89488.msg2359494.html#msg2359494
It's angled, of course, but that's enough for it to work great in this scenario...

us Online SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #68 on: August 04, 2022, 08:31:04 AM
Here's an example: https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,89488.msg2359494.html#msg2359494
It's angled, of course, but that's enough for it to work great in this scenario...
Thanks, Tasky. Interesting idea. How do the pliers work to tighten those knobs?
SAKs:

gb Offline Tasky

Reply #69 on: August 04, 2022, 10:32:56 AM
Thanks, Tasky. Interesting idea. How do the pliers work to tighten those knobs?
Not so well, actually - The teeth are so far back that you can barely get them on the nut, and you're still reliant on finger pressure to grip it.
This is where the wrench comes in, with the shorter jaws, better angle and much higher torque capacity.

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #70 on: August 04, 2022, 04:39:21 PM
The Spartan Challenge just ended so I haven't had a chance to give the S557 some real pocket time yet.

I want to compare it to the Deluxe Tinker, which I like but is pretty heavy for a 4-layer SAK in terms of pocket EDC (my preferred method).

According to SAKWiki, the S557 and DT are basically the same weight. But they don't FEEL like it to me for some reason. The S557 feels lighter and rides in my pocket better/easier than the DT  :think:  Not sure why.

us Online SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #71 on: August 05, 2022, 07:42:09 AM
Not so well, actually - The teeth are so far back that you can barely get them on the nut, and you're still reliant on finger pressure to grip it.
This is where the wrench comes in, with the shorter jaws, better angle and much higher torque capacity.
Thanks again, Tasky. I may have to give the S557 a second chance.
SAKs:

us Online SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #72 on: August 05, 2022, 07:50:10 AM
The Spartan Challenge just ended so I haven't had a chance to give the S557 some real pocket time yet.

I want to compare it to the Deluxe Tinker, which I like but is pretty heavy for a 4-layer SAK in terms of pocket EDC (my preferred method).

According to SAKWiki, the S557 and DT are basically the same weight. But they don't FEEL like it to me for some reason. The S557 feels lighter and rides in my pocket better/easier than the DT  :think:  Not sure why.
Might be because the S557 is shorter or because it's thicker? I find the four-layer SAKs tend to rotate in my pocket as all four sides are about the same size, so it's a square in cross section. The S557 is a rectangle so should stay put, like my Champ does.
SAKs:

gb Offline Tasky

Reply #73 on: August 05, 2022, 11:47:29 AM
Thanks again, Tasky. I may have to give the S557 a second chance.

If it helps, my scissors seem to cut a little better now, too. Previously they'd be useless on anything flexible like a plastic bag unless very carefully aligned and operated... whereas now they do alright. It's like they needed breaking in. Given how the blade also came very dull even though I got it NIB, I wonder if some markets get factory seconds or something?

The pliers remain crap, IMO, as the tip still doesn't grip paper properly. Again, might just be mine, though...

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #74 on: August 05, 2022, 04:43:04 PM
Might be because the S557 is shorter or because it's thicker? I find the four-layer SAKs tend to rotate in my pocket as all four sides are about the same size, so it's a square in cross section. The S557 is a rectangle so should stay put, like my Champ does.

Yeah, you may be right about the size/shape.

Meanwhile, I've carried the Deluxe Tinker for a few days now and... I'm not sure I have a great need for pliers on a daily basis.  :D  I've never felt the need to own/use a plier-based multitool like a Leatherman, for example. The Deluxe Tinker is a lot of additional weight to carry around for me to only use the toolset of the much lighter Super Tinker/Climber.

I'm still really curious to see how I like the S557 though. Even if it's more SAK than I really need in my pocket on a daily basis, it's still my only Delemont knife and will hopefully help me figure out if I like that style of SAK.

us Offline Explorer

Reply #75 on: August 06, 2022, 02:23:21 PM
I’ve kind of gone throughout the opposite of this recently. I bought a twig stove called a Firebox nano and I’ve always got it on me. I’m finding I use it quite often however The best tool for moving it or folding it up when hot or soot covered are those darn pliers! So now they have become a must have on my EDC. It’s just fascinating to me- the SAK paradigms that we fall into and fall out of.  :cheers:

00 Offline Matcha255

Reply #76 on: August 15, 2022, 11:04:50 PM
I'm trying to decide what colour of lanyard I want for my knife, what colours do you like and why?

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #77 on: August 16, 2022, 03:15:39 AM
I'm trying to decide what colour of lanyard I want for my knife, what colours do you like and why?
I’m not generally a big fan of lanyards on my knives, but if I had to have one, I’d want something brightly colored to make it easier to spot if dropped.  Flashlights get GITD lanyards, for obvious reasons.

us Online Farmer X

• No Life Club
Reply #78 on: August 16, 2022, 04:46:07 AM
If it's a knife or multi I take into the bush, brightly colored is the way to go, perhaps with reflective tracers. For a more everyday sort, I'll go with anything that is complimentary. I could show you a few examples if you'd like. My lanyards are generally made out of 550 paracord, but I'll use 275 paracord if I'm working with a smaller lanyard hole.
USN 2000-2006

One to four layers of SAK is (usually) best for me.

If you have absolutely nothing better to do, my YouTube channel is awlways an option:

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCWA0VjH6v3WS6gvLkPGk9KA/

00 Online XAVT

Reply #79 on: August 16, 2022, 05:26:53 AM

Most of my EDC's are Victorinox red and I go with the matching red lanyard.

Can make it easier pulling the SAK out of a tight fitting pouch.

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #80 on: August 16, 2022, 05:51:21 PM
I'm a no-lanyard guy. I don't like anything hanging off the end of my SAK!

no Offline nakken

• 10 LM - 5 SAK
Reply #81 on: August 16, 2022, 06:56:34 PM
I used to dislike having anything hanging off my SAKs, but a the same time I felt like I had to have something there to make it appear complete. When I carried the classic Bantam I almost concidered removing the lanyard/keyring hole. But then I got the Alox Bantam, and now I miss having the option so bad. Nothing fancy, just a zipper pull thing or a piece of paracord. :angel:

Old photos for reference
Show content

no Offline nakken

• 10 LM - 5 SAK
Reply #82 on: August 16, 2022, 07:06:57 PM
If it's a knife or multi I take into the bush, brightly colored is the way to go, perhaps with reflective tracers. For a more everyday sort, I'll go with anything that is complimentary. I could show you a few examples if you'd like. My lanyards are generally made out of 550 paracord, but I'll use 275 paracord if I'm working with a smaller lanyard hole.
That is excellent advice, nate and Farmer. Misplacing a multitool in the bush is the closest I've ever been to a heart attack :ahhh

gb Offline Tasky

Reply #83 on: August 16, 2022, 07:43:44 PM
Why does everyone call it a lanyard, when it's more of a fob?  :P

A lanyard is generally used to secure something, usually to yourself, such as pistol lanyards. The whole point is that you wouldn't need a brightly coloured fob, because the lanyard stops you from dropping it in the first place!  :2tu:

00 Offline Matcha255

Reply #84 on: August 16, 2022, 09:21:03 PM
Farmer X, I would really like to see some pictures.

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #85 on: Today at 04:15:55 AM
Need a bit of help here…. Along the lines of the previous discussion on a tight can opener in a SAK, I have this problem of VERY tight stubby tools in an old Vic Swisstool RS. All other implements are fine…except the short tools like bottle opener, can opener, awl, short flathead. They’re bound to break your nails trying to open them.

Question is how can I loosen them? The tool is fairly old so I was thinking a good soak then WD40 on the joints and maybe mineral oil? Would that work?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
August Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: $36.00
PayPal Fees: $2.24
Net Balance: $33.76
Below Goal: $266.24
Site Currency: USD
 11%