Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber Myth Archery Tool, Just asking for a mod?

us Offline King_Gorilla

Gerber Myth Archery Tool, Just asking for a mod?
on: July 19, 2022, 07:20:46 AM
I don’t know how the last 5 years have flown by so fast, but that’s about how long I have been putting this off.  I wanted to share this project that I started and never finished.  I am hoping that writing this post will motivate me to work on it more. 

I have never had an opportunity to buy a Spydy-wrench but I always wanted one.  I love the idea of a MT that has an adjustable wrench and pliers.  I bought some of the cheap tools that were sort of inspired by it (“guppy-wrench”) but they were not great.  Eventually I came around to the idea that pliers and wrenches were most useful when you could use them at the same time, thus making all the inferior designs somewhat pointless.  After that I started trying to see if there was a small but useful adjustable wrench based multi tool that would be a good companion to a plier based tool.  That’s when I found the Gerber Myth Archery Tool. 

I love the design of this tool.  It feels very solid in your hand.  The jaws of the wrench open up WAY bigger than the CRKT Guppy or the “guppy-wrench”.  One important design element that I think goes overlooked is that the wrench head is designed in a way that flows with the rest of the tool.  In other words, it feels like a MT that has a wrench built into it rather than a plier based MT with a wrench head hanging off one of the handles, or a regular adjustable wrench with a few fold-out tools built into the handle.  This design makes it far more pocketable and therefore more likely that you will actually carry it.  It is also worth mentioning that the jaws of this wrench work the opposite of most adjustable wrenches.  When the jaws are fully open, the “rod” is inside of the tool, the rod protrudes from the wrench head as it closes.  I think this also helps make the tool more pocketable because you can carry it with the jaws open and avoid the hotspots and snag points that the rod would have otherwise created. 

BUT, I’m not looking for an archery tool.  I am fond of archery but I prefer recurve bows to the compound bows. (too many moving parts)  So I have very little need to carry a bunch of hex keys around with me.  I wasn’t going to buy the Gerber Myth Archery tool until I saw it on sale for $14.99!!!  I bought 2 of them to tinker with in the hopes that I could turn it into a great EDC tool. 

* 20220718_211747_copy_846x635.jpg (Filesize: 105.71 KB)

* 20220718_212024_copy_846x635.jpg (Filesize: 62.25 KB)

* 20220718_212040_copy_846x635.jpg (Filesize: 61.1 KB)

* 20220718_211914_copy_846x635.jpg (Filesize: 104.63 KB)

us Offline King_Gorilla

Re: Gerber Myth Archery Tool, Just asking for a mod?
Reply #1 on: July 19, 2022, 07:23:36 AM
   It took me a long time to disassemble because of the locktite they put on the bolts.  Had to heat them up with a soldering iron.  Eventually I got all the hex keys out.  My next step was to make a bit holder attachment.  I used a 3/8 drive ¼ inch socket and carefully cut and grinded it into a great bit driver.  It is perfectly snug.  There is plenty of room inside to add a magnet if I decide to do so. 

* DSC_1657_copy_453x806.jpg (Filesize: 67.21 KB)

* DSC_1659_copy_806x453.jpg (Filesize: 107.25 KB)

* DSC_1661_copy_806x453.jpg (Filesize: 80.71 KB)

* DSC_2067_copy_806x453.jpg (Filesize: 50.31 KB)

us Offline King_Gorilla

Reply #2 on: July 19, 2022, 07:25:16 AM
here are some pictures of the bit driver.

* DSC_2098_copy_806x453.jpg (Filesize: 97.37 KB)

* DSC_2100_copy_806x453.jpg (Filesize: 91.47 KB)

* DSC_2101_copy_806x453.jpg (Filesize: 108.93 KB)

* DSC_2106_copy_806x453.jpg (Filesize: 89.34 KB)

us Offline King_Gorilla

Reply #3 on: July 19, 2022, 07:27:54 AM
The Gerber Myth has a slotted and Phillips driver on the back side.  At first I was going to remove these as well but then I fell in love with them.  These are arguably the best part of the tool.  They are so well made, they snap into place with a very reassuring CLICK.  I really like how the bottle opener is on the thicker Phillips driver. 

Unfortunately, that is where I left off.  I bought a donor Wave to use the blades, saw, and file, but then I used them for another project.  I need to add some good fold out tools to it.  Any suggestions would be welcome. 

* 20220718_212122_copy_846x635.jpg (Filesize: 67.72 KB)

* DSC_2066_copy_806x453.jpg (Filesize: 62.5 KB)

* 20220718_212234_copy_635x846.jpg (Filesize: 141.43 KB)

us Offline King_Gorilla

Reply #4 on: July 19, 2022, 07:30:10 AM
   Crazy side note.  I have a strange obsession with the Coleman Prolock.  I have been working on custom Prolock tool inserts for a while now.  While playing with this I stumbled upon the uncanny discovery that the width of the Prolock tool inserts fit PERFECTLY into the Gerber Myth!  I wish the length was the same.  Can you imagine how cool it would be to carry a custom Coleman Prolock and a custom Gerber Myth with modular interchangeable tool inserts!?!?!?!!!!!!     :ahhh

* DSC_0200_copy_1155x650.jpg (Filesize: 175.58 KB)

pt Online pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #5 on: July 19, 2022, 11:05:25 AM
Scissors would be helpful, if you need to fix a center serving or knock point. Pliers, if you use one of those metal C knock points or need to remove a knock/point from an arrow.

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Offline ComboTool

Reply #6 on: July 20, 2022, 10:41:36 AM
Wow, I didn't know about this tool, now I have to get one. Are the Allen wrenches held by friction or is there a locking mechanism? This probably constrains the type of tool you can add on this side.

us Offline King_Gorilla

Reply #7 on: July 20, 2022, 11:51:46 PM
Scissors would be helpful, if you need to fix a center serving or knock point. Pliers, if you use one of those metal C knock points or need to remove a knock/point from an arrow.

Thank you for the suggestion, But I am not actually looking to use this tool for Archery.  It began it's life as an archery tool but I want to use it as a EDC tool to complement a plier based MT. 

:climber:

us Offline King_Gorilla

Reply #8 on: July 20, 2022, 11:59:15 PM
Wow, I didn't know about this tool, now I have to get one. Are the Allen wrenches held by friction or is there a locking mechanism? This probably constrains the type of tool you can add on this side.

Yeah, I feel like it was a real sleeper.  I didn't know about it till it was nearing the end of it's time.  I just lucked out and picked up a pair for a steal, otherwise I would probably have never gotten one. 

The Allen Keys are held in place with friction.  The 3 largest ones fold up towards the wrench head while the 4 smaller sizes fold down towards the base of the tool.  They overlap each other so you need to move the top 3 out first and then there are these 2 metal tabs that "assist" you in pulling out the rest from underneath.  The big ones can brace against the wrench head so they are fairly sturdy, but the little ones will probably wobble around a little. ( not sure, I never used them)

Offline Hvac budget

Reply #9 on: July 27, 2022, 05:15:02 PM
Fantastic work with this little known tool.  I just got the Gerber Myth Shotgun tool.  I love it's saw, knife and tape measure but I wish I could swap out the choke and pin tool.  Now I need this tool too.  Lol!

us Offline King_Gorilla

Reply #10 on: July 28, 2022, 02:05:13 AM
Fantastic work with this little known tool.  I just got the Gerber Myth Shotgun tool.  I love it's saw, knife and tape measure but I wish I could swap out the choke and pin tool.  Now I need this tool too.  Lol!

When I saw the Gerber Myth Shotgun Tool, The first thing I thought was that the saw and the blade both looked REALLY good, and I totally need to swap out the choke and pin tools.  Unfortunately I didn't buy one because I carry a measuring tape on my keys all the time so I thought it would be a little too much redundancy for my load out.  I'm glad to hear that you liked those parts of it.   

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $279.86
PayPal Fees: $14.66
Net Balance: $265.20
Below Goal: $34.80
Site Currency: USD
88%