Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I have transitioned...

Tasky · 48 · 2747

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Re: I have transitioned...
Reply #30 on: December 11, 2021, 02:05:59 PM
Of course, if you treat it as a hobby or fashion rather than just trying to get the job done, you can forgive how silly it can get. It's more of an escape, interest, and collection for me.

I think that sums it up quite nicely. One mustn't take it all too seriously. It's really not about whether collecting SAKs or searching for the "right" EDC objectively makes sense, but rather whether one subjectively enjoys it. Every intelligent mature person knows that material things won't bring you happiness, so collecting SAKs or carrying one in your pocket will not give your life any meaning. But it might generate some happy moments and interesting memories, and ultimately this is what it's all about imho.

I might wake up one day to realize that all the SAKs in my drawer are in fact a huge waste of money, or that I have lost interest in SAKs altogether. After all, I spent most of my life without a SAK in my pocket, and my life wasn't any worse for it. If that day comes, I will not fret over whether or not I was stupid or whether I could have used the money I spent on SAKs more wisely. Because the nice memories my folly generated, like finding this forum and enjoying discussions like this one, will stay with me.

In view of this, I frankly don't give a damn what my heirs might think when one day they find my stock of SAKs. If they don't like them, they can just throw them all away for all I care. If they think I was crazy for wasting my money on them, they will be entitled to their option as far as I am concerned. It matters not.

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #31 on: December 11, 2021, 02:19:56 PM
I think that sums it up quite nicely. One mustn't take it all too seriously. It's really not about whether collecting SAKs or searching for the "right" EDC objectively makes sense, but rather whether one subjectively enjoys it. Every intelligent mature person knows that material things won't bring you happiness, so collecting SAKs or carrying one in your pocket will not give your life any meaning. But it might generate some happy moments and interesting memories, and ultimately this is what it's all about imho.

I might wake up one day to realize that all the SAKs in my drawer are in fact a huge waste of money, or that I have lost interest in SAKs altogether. After all, I spent most of my life without a SAK in my pocket, and my life wasn't any worse for it. If that day comes, I will not fret over whether or not I was stupid or whether I could have used the money I spent on SAKs more wisely. Because the nice memories my folly generated, like finding this forum and enjoying discussions like this one, will stay with me.

In view of this, I frankly don't give a damn what my heirs might think when one day they find my stock of SAKs. If they don't like them, they can just throw them all away for all I care. If they think I was crazy for wasting my money on them, they will be entitled to their option as far as I am concerned. It matters not.

Well said that man  :clap: :clap: :clap:
They don't like it up 'em!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #32 on: December 11, 2021, 04:28:36 PM
 :iagree: :hatsoff:
Esse Quam Videri

nz Offline Storm

Reply #33 on: December 22, 2021, 08:09:14 AM
 :iagree:
If it makes you happy and isn't hurting anybody, fill your boots :cheers:

Oh, and nice Teddy Roosevelt quote  ;) :D
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are "

us Online Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #34 on: December 22, 2021, 02:38:20 PM
 :tu: :like: :tu:
Barry

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #35 on: August 24, 2022, 04:28:51 PM
Gingerman I dont know if you are still with us but I was thinking about you just now. 

I began as a user.  Early on I  wanted to get some of the models I was interested in tying.  Over time I picked up ones I knew I wouldn't use.  As my knowledge increased I bought ones that I thought had some value.  Certain Alox, 84mm, 111s, etc, were bought because I thought these could be traded or sold later.  This is me as a "collector".  I wasn't collecting as I see most do here. 

I will pick up a SAK if I think it has value.  I'm not after a specific range or age.  If I see a LNF I will get it for example but I am not seeking those out. 

I've always been more opportunistic in my buying habits when it comes to this hobby.   

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline stuntzombie

Reply #36 on: August 24, 2022, 08:20:28 PM
I've been going through a similar transition this year. Right now I'm giving a few more knives the side eye, because I'm realizing they're pretty redundant and not needed anymore.

us Offline Bunk Tuppins

Reply #37 on: August 24, 2022, 09:20:38 PM
Yeah I've had a similar transition.  It started out as a search for something lighter and thinner than the Climber I had been using for years.  I began trying out a lot of sizes and models I never knew about and dignified this shiny object acquisition as getting a 'representative sampling' of Vic tools and output.  One day I realized that I was acquiring a second 'fleet' of black-handled SAKs to match the red ones that I use most frequently.  Oh dear!  At least I am aware enough to laugh at myself. 

Hey, it's a lot cheaper than collecting guitars, which I finally gave up; I came to realize that I had quite enough guitars and not enough room for them.  I may be getting there with SAKs too.

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #38 on: August 24, 2022, 10:44:26 PM
I've definitely been in a big acquisition phase lately.

For me, it's figuring out what I want/need in terms of size and tool set. I don't want to have a massive collection though, particularly. So far, I'm finding a 2 or 3 layer 84mm/91mm + a 58mm SAK work best for me, both from an ease-of-carry perspective and available tool set point of view.

Favorites so far are the Spartan/Tourist, Tinker/Tinker Small, Camper, Climber, and Super Tinker. And despite how cool the Minichamp is, the Rambler is my ever-present companion regardless of which 84mm or 91mm caught my eye on a particular morning. If I lost my Ramber, I would buy another one INSTANTLY.

I really like some of the 4 layer models (Huntsman, Explorer, and Deluxe Tinker) but I just don't find myself using the tools the 4th layer adds enough to justify the extra size/weight.

In the year+ period before I decided to buy/try a wider variety of SAKs, I exclusively carried a Tourist + Rambler. That combination did me just fine in every situation that wouldn't have required a dedicated tool anyway. In another thread, I said that I was in search of my "minimum viable SAK or SAK combo." I wouldn't be too surprised if it ends up being a Tourist + Rambler after all. But hey, I've learned a lot and had a lot of fun along the way no matter what!

us Offline Bunk Tuppins

Reply #39 on: August 24, 2022, 11:32:26 PM
--snip --
In the year+ period before I decided to buy/try a wider variety of SAKs, I exclusively carried a Tourist + Rambler. That combination did me just fine in every situation that wouldn't have required a dedicated tool anyway. In another thread, I said that I was in search of my "minimum viable SAK or SAK combo." I wouldn't be too surprised if it ends up being a Tourist + Rambler after all. But hey, I've learned a lot and had a lot of fun along the way no matter what!
I've been carrying an Executive and a Cadet/Sportsman a lot.  Very similar setup but favors the nail file over philips.

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: August 25, 2022, 02:05:26 PM

Favorites so far are the Spartan/Tourist, Tinker/Tinker Small, Camper, Climber, and Super Tinker.

exclusively carried a Tourist + Rambler. That combination did me just fine in every situation that wouldn't have required a dedicated tool anyway.

I feel exactly the same way. I haven't carried a 91mm, in a regular basis, in over a year maybe...
Tourist/Small Tinker, and in my case Minichamp on the keychain. I love the Rambler, but unfortunately no alox, and i won't dream of carrying a cellidor SAK on keys. When they make an alox Rambler, it will go on my keys instantly.
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #41 on: August 25, 2022, 04:20:27 PM
I can understand that. I don't keep my Rambler on my keys - I can't stand anything hanging off the end of a pocket knife, no matter the size. But it makes sense that you wouldn't want your keys banging up against the cellidor all day!

I like the Minichamp but it's kind of awkwardly thick for it's length and doesn't ride well in the small watch pocket of my jeans where I usually carry a 58mm. Maybe the alox version would work better for me.

As far as the Tourist/Small Tinker goes, I have found that an 84mm is just as capable as a 91mm in every situation I've run into. I know some like the slightly  longer blade on the 91mm models for food-related tasks but I rarely use my SAK for food in any way. My only frustration is that there is not as much variety in the 84mm product line, though I suppose Victorinox knows it's business and the 91mm models are more popular.

For example, at 91mm I have discovered that I really like the Camper (especially paired with the Rambler). The Vic saw is amazing, doesn't add much thickness to a Spartan, does add just enough thickness to make a more comfortable grip, and when you do need a saw there's not much else that will do in it's place. But despite the fact that all of the tools that would be required to make a Camper Small in 84mm are in regular, current production... there ain't no such thing! And, according to the SAKWiki, it doesn't look like there has EVER been such a model.

But... I did order a Walker from Amazon last night... I'm skeptical of the combo tool, but I'm an open minded guy and I'll give it an honest try.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: August 25, 2022, 07:31:00 PM
I'm skeptical of the combo tool, but I'm an open minded guy and I'll give it an honest try.

I think you’ll find the combo tool up to par as a cap lifter and can opener, but somewhat lacking as a screwdriver or light duty pry tool.

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #43 on: August 25, 2022, 07:39:17 PM
Yep, that's what worries me. I use the screwdriver functions (and prying) quite a bit!

us Online Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #44 on: August 25, 2022, 08:57:01 PM
I think you’ll find the combo tool up to par as a cap lifter and can opener, but somewhat lacking as a screwdriver or light duty pry tool.
Except for kids toys battery compartments  :D
Barry

us Offline Farmer X

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master of the unexciting
Reply #45 on: August 26, 2022, 06:04:48 AM
I'm skeptical of the combo tool, but I'm an open minded guy and I'll give it an honest try.
I prefer it to the dedicated SAK can opener, but not the lobster claw type. It does okay on bottles and screws. I don't use the opener tools for prying anymore (I've come to prefer the Gerber Shard and Mullet for prying). The main draw of the combo tool, at least for me, is that it retains most of the functions of separate openers in a slimmer package. Now, if only Victorinox would give us a 93mm combo tool...
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

au Offline Brock O Lee

Reply #46 on: August 26, 2022, 09:09:19 AM
I figured they probably will never be any cheaper than they are today...

This is a very logical argument. I followed the same sensible line of reasoning this week.  :whistle:  :tu:

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #47 on: August 26, 2022, 10:15:03 PM
Well, I'm a hypocrite.

I said all that stuff about 84mm SAKs (which I do love, I swear!) and... my Deluxe Tinker is in my pocket today.

So don't mind me!   :facepalm:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD