Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Review: Maarten Lightweight Multitool Pliers, 11 in 1

us Offline Old Happy Tiger

* Somewhere in southeastern U.S.A. the sun rises.. A man grabs a very oversized cup of coffee and holds his new multi-tool (not man-tool) for closer inspection…

Company description:
Maarten Lightweight Multitool Pliers, 11 in 1

Needle-Nose Pliers, End Cutting Pliers,
Combination Pliers, Cutter, Sickle,
Rope Cutter, Bottle Opener Screwdriver, Saw

Comes with hard nylon sheath (not pictured).

1.jpg
* 1.jpg (Filesize: 245.27 KB)

2.jpg
* 2.jpg (Filesize: 355.66 KB)

3.jpg
* 3.jpg (Filesize: 327.8 KB)

Last night I received this new multi tool that I bought from Amazon. Please note that I gain no monetization from this company or Amazon, I bought this with my own money. Two other things to note, I work in certain fields of security (30+ years), I use multi-tools as in real world and I always have two with me for redundancy. I also like inexpensive multi-tools as they work well. I did not buy this or any others because they may or may not look like other well known named brands.

Really impressed with this one… Yes I just got it, but it seems to be pretty solid. This was $12.99 USD on Amazon and it’s not widely known on social media so YOU heard it first here on Multitool.org and me (OHT). The video ad on Amazon shows a man from the waist down doing various tasks. The video and name has more of a Germany, Sweden or Norwegian over all feeling to the video and the brand name (Maarten) seems to fit with that projected theme...But from my findings 100% Chinese owned and operated company / brand. At the time of this writing of this review, I just found new information that “Sint Maarten” is actually an area that is part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands. So my earlier above assessment on the Maarten brand name and over all projected feel that the company is try to portray is right. 

From what I found it does seem like the steel is 420HC for the knife, saw and other folding tools. For ME… that is fine. As long as it is heat treated well. While 420HC is softer than say D2, 440C and other hard steels I can easily resharpen the blade quickly.. re-profile OR re-hone the blade and that is what matters to me when I’m out in the field.. Some harder steels like D2, you have work at for a bit. Also 420HC has more chromium so it’s more rust resistant as well. I am NOT 100% sure on the steel that the pliers is.. It may be like 3CR13 steel… not sure.

The handles are mainly metal there is some plastic (more on that in cons’ list below).
The entire unit has some heft to it and again, to me.. a heavy and strong tool is what I need on me.
The knife is hair shaving sharp, actual! No touch up needed which is shocking to me. The saw is great as well. I can see some mill or grain marks on the saw steel, but no big deal. Both the knife and the saw lock into place using a liner lock. The other tools DO NOT however, they snap in to open position and are solid. Except for the pliers the tools are all accessible on the outside of the handles. The pliers deploy and snap into place are really solid. I do not feel any “flex” when using the pliers. And I did test the wire cutters on some metal guitar string.. No issues they seem to be sharp enough. There is also a carbiner on one of the end handles that works fine, for now. (More in cons’ list below)

To note there really only 6 tools including the pliers. A lot of functions are on one on the tools. EX: bottle opener, can opener and wire stripper on that one tool. I know a lot of guys know that, but I just wanted to be clear about that from what the company description is.

I did once again, soak the multi-tool in a tupperware plastic bin with warm water and some dawn dish soap then used balistol gun oil on all the pivot points. I always do that no matter if there is an issue or not (more in the cons’ list below on that). I also SLIGHTLY tightened the pivot point screws. To note the screws in the pivot point uses a size T-9 Torx/Star bit. All the tools were solid right of the bat with no play or wiggle, but I again I always do that on new multi-tools and knife. Also it’s a great thing to check as well after using the multi-tool after a few months. Also to note, tools use a combo or Teflon and aluminum (or steel) washers as the pivot point ends of the handles.

Pros:
-Price is awesome $12.99 USD for a multi-tool is hard to beat, way more tool for the price I spent.

- Rock solid feel and heavy. Mostly all metal as well.

- Great tools and a hair shaving sharp blade.

Cons:
- Seems to had a lot of packing grease used for the tools and pliers. Even after a soak in dawn dishsoap had to use a bit more balisitol gun oil on the handles to clean it up a bit more.. Not a deal breaker, just be aware.

-  Carbiner on the end handles is half made from plastic and is like a plastic “knife spacer” in the handle.. I’m not carrying the multi-tool in that manner, but I’m not sure how that will hold up being partially plastic. Wish they used all metal.

- Not a positive feeling for any sort of customer service from this company. Other than a customer facing presence on Amazon. This company seems to be non-existent. On the business card that came with the multi tool.. There main company web site and Facebook page that is referenced on the card does not exist anymore. The email address is a “gmail” type. I did sent an email last night, and if I get a response from the company I’ll update my review.

Conclusion:
I feel that I got a lot more for the money I spent. This one is win / win.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2022, 06:02:11 PM by Old Happy Tiger »
"One day as a tiger is worth a thousand as a sheep."

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Re: Review: Maarten Lightweight Multitool Pliers, 11 in 1
Reply #1 on: August 07, 2022, 07:31:13 PM
Another good review, OHT.
Personally, I can't stand a carabineer on a multitool, so I'd automatically pass on it.  Price looks to have gone up a couple bucks but still in the reasonable category.
Addicted to sharp pointy things.

Reply #2 on: August 07, 2022, 07:39:06 PM
Another good review, OHT.
Personally, I can't stand a carabineer on a multitool, so I'd automatically pass on it.  Price looks to have gone up a couple bucks but still in the reasonable category.

(Edited RE: added text) Thanks, I appreciate that. I understand about the carabineer, I really didn't buy it for that.. it may be handy to clip on my belt or something quickly but I usually just belt carry with the sheath or pocket carry. Oh yes I agree, I see a lot of prices going way out there on multi-tools, like everything else. I picked up a easy part time job so buying these with the extra money I have, is not impacting my wallet that much. There was another multi-tool that I ordered, and the shipping got really messed up on route to me.. So Amazon refunded me on that. I'm going to buy another one today and should be doing another review on that one either Monday or Tuesday. 
« Last Edit: August 07, 2022, 08:25:08 PM by Old Happy Tiger »

us Offline Farmer X

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master of the unexciting
Reply #3 on: August 08, 2022, 12:02:04 AM
Another great detailed review! :tu: The seeming lack of customer support is a bad thing. As for the carabiner, I generally leave them (the Leatherman Signal being a notable exception). They're too narrow to fit on my belt loops.
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

Reply #4 on: August 08, 2022, 06:53:52 PM
Another great detailed review! :tu: The seeming lack of customer support is a bad thing. As for the carabiner, I generally leave them (the Leatherman Signal being a notable exception). They're too narrow to fit on my belt loops.

Thank You  :cheers:  I appreciate that. I'm mainly carrying this in the sheath. I am wondering.. If this would fit in a horizontal gun mag belt pouch? I'm trying find a horizontal carrying option. One thing that PitCarver said in this thread and it's true.. That prices for multi-tools are higher. I took a look at some inexpensive multi-tools that were reviewed on YouTube like two years ago. The price now are $4.00 USD to $5.00 USD higher because of inflation.

Reply #5 on: January 24, 2023, 06:04:58 PM
As an update to this review. I've used this constantly after my review and months after the fact it is still working great. It's "not" a light multi tool, but the sheath "so far" has held up as well.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD