Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Review: Sunbird Multi Tool

us Offline Old Happy Tiger

Review: Sunbird Multi Tool
on: August 14, 2022, 05:07:23 PM
*Somewhere in the southeast, U.S.A. the sun rises.. A man grabs a very oversized cup of coffee and holds his new multi-tool and says: “This is my new "real-simulated" swiss army knife”..

I hope you guys like my reviews, I see a lot of people reading them and not many comments.. LOL.. Maybe that is a good thing ?

Here is my review on the Sunbird multi tool (box states model: MT6) that is around $23.00 USD to 29.00 USD on Amazon. I got it for $18.00 USD as I also had an Amazon courtesy credit from a past return that I never used.
You can find this plier-less multi tool under other brands names as well Maerd, NextTool, Gerber and a few others out there with very slight differences. These brands all go in the $29.00 USD to $50.00 USD range depending on brand name. (I believe the NextTool brand is $19.00 in black, and not all metal)

3.jpg
* 3.jpg (Filesize: 362.85 KB)

I bought this multi tool initially, as a more inexpensive version and a bit larger version than say a Swiss Army knife (I’ve owned and still own some Victorinox Swiss Army knives like the SD classic). This Sunbird multi tool is nice, as it is straight and a bit more robust as it’s all metal. I saw some videos and some static reviews of guys saying this brand is a stripped down version of another model of multi tool... To me.. I don’t find that to be 100% accurate. If you look at the picture below, they DO take the outer shell of some sort of multi-tool handle, and THEN they re-engineer the inside part of the metal, lock and tool placement. And YES.. If you had the time, money and researched it AND had the driver and the bits.. You may be able buy and take a part a full sized multi tool and then just have the one handle without the pliers and have whatever tools you wanted in that one handle part. I have seen guys do that before on YouTube.

1.jpg
* 1.jpg (Filesize: 318.41 KB)

The bottom of the multi tool has a saw, serrated knife and bottle opener, those lock into place using a black small metal lock (as noted in the picture above). This scared me at first because I thought it plastic.. But I put a knife blade to the top of the lock and scratched it with great force (I did that for you guys). NO plastic shavings at all and I can see that it’s black anodized metal, the silver of the metal is showing through a bit (whew!). The top of the multi tool has scissors and a knife that uses liner lock and good and secures into place. This does not come with a sheath, it does have a pocket clip on one side. To point out TIP UP carry in orientation to the knife. I bet this would fit into a horizontal gun mag’ belt pouch (I got get one of those). The other plus with this one, it will be PERFECT for those small Maxpedition type of EDC pouches that can go on a belt. Or if you carry a mil’ style back pack or pouch with molle webbing this could be a nice option to externally attach it to the outside of your pack/pouch.

Knife and Scissors are 440A stainless steel with the metal handle and other tools 420 stainless steel. I’m not sure the exact version of the 420 stainless from my research. All of the tools are sharp. I did have to re-hone the edge of the knife a little bit with card board along the edge.

The tool did have a little bit of packing grease. I again soaked it in warm water and dawn dish soap to degrease it a bit. I also forget to mention in my other reviews, I also use a can of compressed air to make sure all the water is out of the pivot point and inside the tool. This time I used Rem Oil which is a gun oil, teflon based for the pivot points. Pivot points use a T-9 Torx/Star bit, doubled couple you will need two drivers to tighten if need be (mine seems ok, more in the CONS list below on that). Aluminum or steel washers for the pivot points.

In the picture below, there is a glass breaker on one end, which is nice as that gives the tool also the ability to be used as a quick impact tool for self-defense, like a tactical pen, kubotan ect. Please note, I work in certain fields of security for many years, so my mind set is always focused forward that way.

2.jpg
* 2.jpg (Filesize: 205.35 KB)

Pros:
Solid tools and work as intended, all metal construction is good.

Thinner profile with pocket clip. Nice inside small pouches. Or external carry in molle webbing.

Glass breaker could be used as a self defense option. (EX: like a fist load, tactical pen, ect)

Cons:
Price, should be a lot less. More than $20.00 is pushing it.

Tools on the bottom all come out together as in too tight at the pivot point (they should loosen up after time or with manual pivot adjustment).

Knife needed to be re-hone a tiny bit.

Conclusion:
Because I was able to get this for $18.00 USD, this was a great deal and works for my needs. If this was $29.00 USD I would not bother with this and buy a one of the many Swiss Army brands of knives or another multi tool that had pliers. - OHT

« Last Edit: August 14, 2022, 06:08:56 PM by Old Happy Tiger »
"One day as a tiger is worth a thousand as a sheep."

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Review: Sunbird Multi Tool
Reply #1 on: August 14, 2022, 06:43:50 PM
Another great review :tu: :like:

I do like the idea of having that glass breaker :think: :like:

Reply #2 on: August 14, 2022, 07:56:28 PM
Another great review :tu: :like:

I do like the idea of having that glass breaker :think: :like:

Thanks, I appreciate your comment. You also got me thinking about this tip of the glass breaker.  It seems to be the same metal as the release lock.
To let you and others know...  I also just tried to turn that tip with a pair of pliers and it's solid in there... I marred the black from the metal but I don't care it was good test. It looks like it may be threaded as well, they probably use some sort of thread locker on it. - OHT

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: August 15, 2022, 01:45:04 AM
Great review !    :hatsoff:

Thanks for taking the time to post it     :cheers:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #4 on: August 15, 2022, 12:59:20 PM
Another great review, OHT! :like:
omg, who charges $50 for this? :facepalm:

Don't let the few comments discourage you. The Review subforum is a slow burner. :cheers:

Reply #5 on: August 15, 2022, 04:07:08 PM
Great review !    :hatsoff:

Thanks for taking the time to post it     :cheers:

You are Welcome Steve, again I think if people can get it a bit lower than $29.00 like i did, it's worth buying.

Reply #6 on: August 15, 2022, 04:13:39 PM
Another great review, OHT! :like:
omg, who charges $50 for this? :facepalm:

Don't let the few comments discourage you. The Review subforum is a slow burner. :cheers:

Thanks RP, the average price point is $29.99 USD for the Sunbird brand, there is other brands out there that look the same as this on for higher prices. To ME, I still think $29.99 USD is too high for this tool. If people can get this for less than that (like I did) then It's worth the buy.
If this was the only option for again ME.. for $29.99 USD price point or higher I would bought a real swiss army knife or a multi tool with pliers. - OHT

Reply #7 on: January 24, 2023, 06:13:10 PM
As an update to this review. This MT surprised me the most as I've been finding myself wearing it more and more for pocket carry via the pocket clip. It's lightweight and it's held up really well so far. I've worn it on vacation as well. And more and more I like it as it has the ability for a self defensive tool with the glass breaker end.. Like a pocket stick, kappo, kubuton, fist load. So it's nice have that in close reach while traveling here and there.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD