Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

We are doomed to desire what does not exist

Offline victordomingos

on: August 18, 2022, 11:37:06 PM
For years I have used a Victorinox Explorer, modded with the plus scales and accessories. Then I added a Leatherman Style PS. The pliers and the long screwdriver in the tip of the nail file were a nice complement. Then I got a used Minicamp, modded with a pen, and the Explorer went to my bag, seeing occasional use just when the Minicamp was not enough. The Minicamp was a nice surprise. People did not find it so “dangerous”, like the big blade on the Explorer, and it’s tools were very useful and small enough to fit the smallest jeans pocket, away from the iPhone, together with the cute Leatherman pliers.

But recently I lost the Leatherman Style PS, I started thinking on replacing it with a new one or a new SAK with pliers. It seems that inflation has hitter hard on Leatherman’s prices since I had last checked them, so the SAK way could be a better option. However, after digging the current SAK options, it seems that no SAK exists that is perfect. I like the Explorer set of tools and would be in for a similar model with added pliers, or pliers and metal and wood saw. I don’t want to lose the in-line Phillips screwdriver, nor the cork screw. The Swiss Champ ticks all those checkboxes, but it’s considerably more expensive and adds extra weight and thickness with stuff that I don’t really need, like the fish scaler or the chisel.

Any ideas?

00 Offline XAVT

Re: We are doomed to desire what does not exist
Reply #1 on: August 19, 2022, 01:30:43 AM
Would you consider replacing your lost Leatherman Style PS with a used one from ebay or the trading forum here?

Offline victordomingos

Reply #2 on: August 19, 2022, 01:51:26 AM
Would you consider replacing your lost Leatherman Style PS with a used one from ebay or the trading forum here?
Maybe, but only if it came from Europe, since we have been paying customs taxes on most foreign packages from other countries…

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #3 on: August 19, 2022, 03:33:07 AM
Seems like the SwissChamp is the only option for you  - But what about a Cybertool Lite - I think that ticks many of your boxes

Unless you modify - The chisel would be my least used tool - but it does not really add space or weight
And woudl it really be worth taking out the fish scaler from the SC

What I like about the fish scaler is that it is a very handy non-sharp prodding device which can be very useful - if not esssentail, at times
And it is pretty much the only tool that is not sharp
Also the ruler can come in handy 
« Last Edit: August 19, 2022, 06:03:20 AM by Huntsman »

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 19, 2022, 05:18:26 AM
Cybertool M or Cybertool L might be worth a look.  Tool sets are outstanding IMO, and there really isn’t a strong argument for the inline Phillips when you have the bit driver.  Cons are that they are expensive, and the Cybertool L is basically the same size as the Swisschamp (M is noticeably smaller, but still a pretty beefy SAK).

cz Offline z1913

Reply #5 on: August 19, 2022, 12:42:15 PM
I second the Cybertool M / L comments. I own Cybertool M and although it is not a small knife, it feels good and usable in the hand.

I do not have a L, but have Swisschamp which is sizewise exactly the same and I found it bit too bulky.

Offline victordomingos

Reply #6 on: August 19, 2022, 01:25:51 PM
I need to get one of those bigger SAKs into my hands to better appreciate their size and weight…

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: August 19, 2022, 03:28:28 PM
I have nothing really to add other than arguing against a Swisschamp is difficult for me  ;).

Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Reply #8 on: August 19, 2022, 06:44:36 PM
SwissChamp and Cybertool Lite are indeed pretty hefty, but you actually get rather used to them with surprising ease.
It also helps if you buy a Handyman first and spend some time with that.... ;)

Offline victordomingos

Reply #9 on: August 19, 2022, 06:49:09 PM
SwissChamp and Cybertool Lite are indeed pretty hefty, but you actually get rather used to them with surprising ease.
It also helps if you buy a Handyman first and spend some time with that.... ;)
Yeah. I have also considered the Handiman, mas it misses the inline Phillips screwdriver. The one in the can opener is not well suited for most situations I have found.

By the way, I really like the one on the MiniChamp.

Offline victordomingos

Reply #10 on: August 20, 2022, 07:01:53 AM
I have made my mind. Both the Cybertools and the Swiss Champ seemed to be good options. I had the opportunity to grab a big Cybertool for a moment and feel its size and weight. It is not as elegant/light as a 2 or 4 layer SAK, but it’s still manageable and mostly comfortable in the hand.

Going for the Swiss Champ this time. I’m sure it will be a nice companion for the MiniChamp!

us Offline Kraken

Reply #11 on: August 20, 2022, 05:05:18 PM
You really can't go wrong with the Swisschamp, especially if pairing it with the MiniChamp. Before I got my first Swisschamp I thought it might be too big and bulky, as I was used to carrying an Explorer as my full time EDC. Pocket carry was a little difficult until I put it on a dangler clip, then I  almost forgot it was there. The pliers, when compared to those on the Style, are more like 'aggressive tweezers', but they do come in handy. I also agree with the previous comments on the fish scaler. It is a very useful tool for things other than fish scaling. I use it as an all purpose pokey thing. I've been carrying a Swisschamp on a belt sheath at work for a few years now and can't see myself going back to anything else. I think you're going to enjoy yours.
Semper Fortis

de Offline tinker gnome

Reply #12 on: August 20, 2022, 05:20:12 PM
  :iagree:

For me it's a SwissChampXL as EDC with primarily belt carry.
Best regards and stay safe,

Wolfgang

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: August 20, 2022, 06:16:23 PM
I carried my SC for a while and while chunky its doable.  Its HOW you chose to carry that'll determine comfort IMO. 

The MiniChamp is just plain awesome.   :D
Esse Quam Videri

Offline victordomingos

Reply #14 on: August 20, 2022, 06:23:33 PM
I ordered a nylon pouch, but I am still not sure how I will choose to carry it. I usually carry an iPhone on each pocket (two phone numbers) so it needed some soft material to prevent damage. My old pouch I had for the explorer was worn out a long time ago so I have been carrying it in a shoulder bag and using the MiniChamp most of the time.

I am curious on what kind of clips you guys like to use with the SC, and where they hang. Belt? Pocket? Can someone please post some pictures or offer any recommendation?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: August 20, 2022, 06:28:04 PM
I really like the Victorinox Belt Clip Hanger.  I used one for my Vic and other stuff and liked it so much I got another.  I now use it for my wallet and still love it.  I got the one with two chains. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #16 on: August 21, 2022, 03:13:03 AM
Completely different suggestion from others, but have you considered the mini Knipex pliers and just sticking with Mini Champ & Explorer.  Or is the Gerber Dime more available in EU as a PS Style replacement.

Offline victordomingos

Reply #17 on: August 21, 2022, 12:32:03 PM
Completely different suggestion from others, but have you considered the mini Knipex pliers and just sticking with Mini Champ & Explorer.  Or is the Gerber Dime more available in EU as a PS Style replacement.
Thanks for the tip. I didn’t know about the Knippex brand. It seems like a sturdy tool. However for EDC I prefer something that folds into a more compact package, like a Leatherman or a Victorinox SAK. I am not sure about the Gerber Dime availability. I have considered that one some years ago when I got the Style PS. Since I am now going with the SC, I won’t be looking into more new pliers soon, but it could be an option.

us Offline Kraken

Reply #18 on: August 21, 2022, 02:11:15 PM

[/quote]

I am curious on what kind of clips you guys like to use with the SC, and where they hang. Belt? Pocket? Can someone please post some pictures or offer any recommendation?
[/quote]

Before I started carrying my SC in a belt pouch, I used a NanoKey pocket clip that I got off Amazon. I also used a small barrel swivel, the kind used for fishing tackle, between the pocket clip and the SC key ring. This allowed the SC to rotate around in my pocket as I moved around, while being suspended by the clip. If I can find the clip and the swivel, I'll post a pic.
Semper Fortis

de Offline tinker gnome

Reply #19 on: August 21, 2022, 02:33:16 PM

As requested:

20210821095411_IMG_6846.jpg
* 20210821095411_IMG_6846.jpg (Filesize: 370.32 KB)

No clip, though. The Vic sheath (Vic # 4.0566.03) has a belt loop on the back, where the belt gets inserted. A lanyard chain is used for securing the SC. One clip goes on the belt, a McGizmo nano clip to the SC's keyring. At work I've got a different belt with a cordura sheath, so swapping the SC is a breeze...

* 20210821095023_IMG_6844.jpg (Filesize: 382.79 KB)
Best regards and stay safe,

Wolfgang

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #20 on: August 22, 2022, 01:45:17 AM
Thanks for the tip. I didn’t know about the Knippex brand. It seems like a sturdy tool. However for EDC I prefer something that folds into a more compact package, like a Leatherman or a Victorinox SAK. I am not sure about the Gerber Dime availability. I have considered that one some years ago when I got the Style PS. Since I am now going with the SC, I won’t be looking into more new pliers soon, but it could be an option.
I understand.

Just so you know, here is a picture from another thread on the forum that shows the Knipex XS Cobra next to a SAK for size comparison

Offline victordomingos

Reply #21 on: August 23, 2022, 09:18:00 PM
Thank you all for your tips.

So, today the SwissChamp has arrived. It feels pretty heavy in my hand, compared with the Explorer! But still, not uncomfortable to use at all. I like it.

Following some advice, I made a little rope loop using old snickers laces and other used stuff, to hung it from the belt. It works. Hanging from the belt inside the jeans pocket, it does not seem too heavy.

I will be using the MiniChamp as always, pairing it with one of the bigger SAKs.

I took some family pictures:

And these are the extra tools that the SwissChamp brings that I didn’t have on the Explorer.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #22 on: August 24, 2022, 01:09:41 AM
NICE family pic.  Glad the SC was not too much for you.  Its a big SAK but not unwieldy.  Lots of function which means lots of reason to carry it. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Kraken

Reply #23 on: August 24, 2022, 02:18:51 AM
Thank you all for your tips.

So, today the SwissChamp has arrived. It feels pretty heavy in my hand, compared with the Explorer! But still, not uncomfortable to use at all. I like it.

Following some advice, I made a little rope loop using old snickers laces and other used stuff, to hung it from the belt. It works. Hanging from the belt inside the jeans pocket, it does not seem too heavy.

I will be using the MiniChamp as always, pairing it with one of the bigger SAKs.

Congrats on the new SC! Pairing it with the MiniChamp makes for a formidable combination. You really can't go wrong with a Swisschamp.
Semper Fortis

Offline victordomingos

Reply #24 on: August 24, 2022, 11:52:03 PM
NICE family pic.  Glad the SC was not too much for you.  Its a big SAK but not unwieldy.  Lots of function which means lots of reason to carry it.
Yeah!

If there could be a small SAK that would work like Mary Poppins’ bag, that would be The One.

I have found some niceties and a few quirks.

The knife itself is a little bit less comfortable than in the Explorer or even the Wenger. Also, while in my previous SAKs all tools were polished (not the spacers, though), the Swiss Champ includes some tools that aren’t, like the saws, which is comprehensible. The metal saw/file is very rough even in the place where our nail is supposed to pick it…

One thing I don’t like is the fact that the main blade is just next to the metal file and the wood saw. I am used to peel fruit and cut food with that blade, and I can see how we could inadvertently get some small metal grit into our food after having used the metal saw/file. I would prefer those layers in a further position.

The chisel is very recessed behind the corkscrew. It is difficult to open as is, while very easy to open after opening the corkscrew. No big problem.

The small screwdriver on the back side seems to be very usable. I was glad to see that it fits the screws I have in a pair of sunglasses. I wish the MiniChamp also had a sharper, small, flat screwdriver!

The knife blade feels a bit too elevated when closed, compared with the one on the Explorer, where the magnifier is just one layer apart. Maybe it would feel a bit less awkward if the scissors and the pliers were positioned just next to the main blade layer.

Overall, I think that this model has lots of functionality in a much smaller package that I would expect a few years ago. Makes me remember what an amazing surprise was the MiniChamp, when I first got it and then started to meet all those situations where it was useful…

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $0.00
PayPal Fees: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Below Goal: $300.00
Site Currency: USD
 0%