Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

PowerAssist play?

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
PowerAssist play?
on: January 30, 2009, 08:52:21 PM
My PowerAssist has always had some up and down play in the main blade but the side to side is fine.  The serrated blade is ok and solid as a rock, do you think it will affect performance at all? Something to worry about? Anyone else have one with slack in it??

Offline Nutznboltz

Re: PowerAssist play?
Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 06:39:40 AM
Mine has no up/down play, but some side to side play.  I tried tightening the hex bolts but it affects the assisted opening of the blades. 
How much up/down play do you have?,  does the blade still lock securely?.

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 02:21:02 PM
The blade locks securely but it's still freaking me out slightly. I know if you use a knife the way your suppose to then you won't have an issue. I will see if I can figure out what is causing the up and down play. Maybe the notch for the locking mech was machined out too much or something? Hmmmmm

Offline Nutznboltz

Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 03:18:57 AM
Dave,
Doubled checked my PA today, and if I grab hold of the blade and wiggle it up/down there is a very slight amount of play.  Is this what your refering to?.   Just opening the blade you can't tell theres any play, but sure enough there is miniscule amount of play - on both blades.   I don't think this is a issue though, still solid lockup.

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 03:35:12 AM
He's referring to up and down play not torsional (side to side).. My PowerAssist has a little on the PE blade..
B

Offline Nutznboltz

Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 03:54:55 AM
Yes, up/down play is very slight almost not even noticable unless I give the blade a up and down jiggle.  It's on both of my blades.  Side to Side is also present in both blades.

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 02:35:30 PM
Same here, my blades plays major though on the main blade. It's ok, I did some lock tests with it and there is no way this puppy is going to fail. Due to it being a non traditional style locking mechanism like a liner lock it should not give me any problems. Good to hear I an not alone as far as QC is concerned.

Offline Nutznboltz

Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 02:48:10 PM
It's new so I suspect there's still some fine tuning to be worked out,  I'm sure future models will exhibit the qualities we come to expect from Sog.   

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%