Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I’ve found a new mini First Aid Kit pouch

Sos24 · 33 · 3641

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
on: August 21, 2022, 05:16:35 AM
I like to have a small medical kit with me on day outings.  I’ve been looking for “The” pouch to hold my kit for a while.  I’ve experimented with several different pouches, but usually just went back to the REI/Hart Outdoor Day Hike First-Aid Kit due to its size and organization.  As much as I like the internal organization of the pouch, I hate that the exterior of the pouch has no attachment options. 

Well, I think I’ve finally found what I’ve been looking for in a fairly cheap no-name pouch on EBay.  It is about the same size as the Hart kit, some good interior organization, and a few exterior attachment options.  It has PALS webbing, a loop that could attach to a belt or backpack strap, and a Grimlock clip (that I replaced with a carabiner).  It even has a loop field on the front for a first aid patch, which I did add.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2022, 05:31:10 AM by Sos24 »

au Offline Echotech

Re: I’ve found a new mini First Aid Kit pouch
Reply #1 on: August 21, 2022, 11:37:28 AM
 :like: good set up Sos, love the patch  :rofl:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: August 21, 2022, 04:51:05 PM
Agree that patch is great! 

I also like to have a small medkit with me as well pretty much at all times.  I've been using a Maxpedition Micro now for years.  I like the one you have.  Multiple ways to attach is very nice. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Sos24

Reply #3 on: August 21, 2022, 10:49:17 PM
:like: good set up Sos, love the patch  :rofl:
Thanks.  I didn’t want to do a normal cross patch.

Agree that patch is great! 

I also like to have a small medkit with me as well pretty much at all times.  I've been using a Maxpedition Micro now for years.  I like the one you have.  Multiple ways to attach is very nice.
Thanks. 
Thanks.  The Micro also works nice as a mini FAK.  Not evident in the picture the top part has a pocket behind the elastic similar to the micro.  I have multiple different band-aid sizes and some blister care items.

The multiple attachment is what got me to try it.  When I hike I prefer to have it easily accessible instead of in my bag and this I can even attach to my backpack or sling strap.

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Reply #4 on: August 22, 2022, 12:09:44 AM
Funnily enough, I'm working on a tour of my own pocket IFAK, which is in a very similar pouch to this.

What are your contents there?

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #5 on: August 22, 2022, 12:21:23 AM
 :tu: That’s cool!
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Sos24

Reply #6 on: August 22, 2022, 08:08:47 AM
Funnily enough, I'm working on a tour of my own pocket IFAK, which is in a very similar pouch to this.

What are your contents there?
IThe top half:
- Back pocket: Various size band-aids, blister pad, leukotape
- Elastic web:
—- OTC meds like Pepto Bismal, Benadryl, and Goodies. 
—- 24hrs of my prescription meds. 
—- Topical meds like Benadryl gel, burn gel, oral pain relief, dermagel and 1st Aid cream.
—- SAK classic (blade and scissors) - I may replace with Ambassador or Executive.
—- Sliver grippers

Bottom half:
- a couple 3x3 and 2x2 sterile gauze pads
- a couple feet of Vet wrap
- steri-strips
- sterile saline pads, alcohol prep pads, iodine pad

Zipped in loosely:
- a pair of gloves
- 2in gauze wrap
- Israeli Tourniquet (similar to a SWAT-T tourniquet but only 2.5in wide) - could have multiple uses in addition to tourniquet like pressure bandage, wrap for sprain, help with splint or sling.  If I were to need as TQ, could use carabiner as windlass to tighten beyond just the wrap.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: August 22, 2022, 05:09:46 PM
 :tu:

Very nice. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Sos24

Reply #8 on: August 22, 2022, 08:16:30 PM
Thanks @Aloha

More on content info:

There also is a powdered hydration/electrolyte additive.

It is definitely full (a little overpacked), but packs a lot of utility and could hopefully temporarily handle many situations. 

I sued to have a SWAT-T instead of Israeli TQ, but opted for the Israeli due to fit.  One thing I lost in doing that is that the plastic wrap on the SWAT-T could have been used to make an improvised chest seal in emergency.

I use to also have a vacuum sealed mylar blanket in a previous pouch then opted for extra sterile gauze and vet wrap.  I may still look at adding back in the mylar blanket (especially before winter) because I think it does have utility.  Also, the plastic bag I vacuum seal it in could then be used as the improvised chest seal.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: August 22, 2022, 08:20:36 PM
Looks great Sos.  :tu:

I must admit I've been using the same cheap blue pencil case for years. :D  Has zero organisation, but it does slip into a side pocket on a rucksack easily. 

The bright blue colour makes it easy to find in a pocket and hard to lose if you put it down.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Sos24

Reply #10 on: August 23, 2022, 04:00:08 AM
Looks great Sos.  :tu:

I must admit I've been using the same cheap blue pencil case for years. :D  Has zero organisation, but it does slip into a side pocket on a rucksack easily. 

The bright blue colour makes it easy to find in a pocket and hard to lose if you put it down.
At least you carry one and if it works for you is all that matters.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #11 on: August 23, 2022, 06:06:29 AM
Nicely done.  I had the same patch on my IFAK but I gave it to a friend who teaches a course called "Stop the Bleed", after I pointed out that everything does, in fact, stop bleeding eventually.
 :twak:

us Offline Sos24

Reply #12 on: August 23, 2022, 06:18:18 AM
Nicely done.  I had the same patch on my IFAK but I gave it to a friend who teaches a course called "Stop the Bleed", after I pointed out that everything does, in fact, stop bleeding eventually.
 :twak:
I attended a “Stop the Bleed” course that was offered free here.  It is a good basic course.

us Offline BadMechanic

Reply #13 on: August 24, 2022, 10:18:37 AM
Nice pouch and nice FAK.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

gb Offline Tasky

Reply #14 on: August 24, 2022, 09:37:34 PM
Wow, you have a lot more in this thing than I have in mine... I might need to address that.

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #15 on: August 25, 2022, 01:16:17 AM
Good find on the pouch,  SOS.
Í use a similar one to carry an EDC kit.
My first aid kit usually consists of an assortment of bandaids.
Addicted to sharp pointy things.

us Offline Sos24

Reply #16 on: August 25, 2022, 11:32:54 AM
Thanks @BadMechanic and @PitCarver

Wow, you have a lot more in this thing than I have in mine... I might need to address that.

It has been an iterative process of deciding what I wanted to be able to address and options to address those.  One of the biggest things I did to allow more varied items was eliminating some redundancies.  Instead of multiples of each item, I just have 1-2, which is enough to handle the immediate situation until I can get to a higher level of care or somewhere to get more supplies.

If this was a hiking/camping FAK, where it could be multiple days before getting additional help or supplies, then redundancy would be necessary.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #17 on: August 25, 2022, 03:58:06 PM
Thanks @BadMechanic and @PitCarver

It has been an iterative process of deciding what I wanted to be able to address and options to address those.  One of the biggest things I did to allow more varied items was eliminating some redundancies.  Instead of multiples of each item, I just have 1-2, which is enough to handle the immediate situation until I can get to a higher level of care or somewhere to get more supplies.

If this was a hiking/camping FAK, where it could be multiple days before getting additional help or supplies, then redundancy would be necessary.
That is a very good point.  At home, work, and most leisure activities a phone call has medical professionals minutes away.   Therefore, we don't need to carry as much.  I'm going to address the redundancies in my IFAK today because I hadn't thought about it before but I bet I could cut the weight significantly.  My only issue is I prefer to carry meds in their original containers and sometimes smaller sizes are not available.

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #18 on: August 25, 2022, 06:42:59 PM
My only issue is I prefer to carry meds in their original containers and sometimes smaller sizes are not available.

It's not even remotely possible for me to carry all my meds in the original containers.  They all fit a medium pelican style box.  I have small ziplock
bags that I'll carry some OTC pain relievers in.  That's about all I will keep with me.
Addicted to sharp pointy things.

us Offline Sos24

Reply #19 on: August 25, 2022, 09:39:46 PM
That is a very good point.  At home, work, and most leisure activities a phone call has medical professionals minutes away.   Therefore, we don't need to carry as much.  I'm going to address the redundancies in my IFAK today because I hadn't thought about it before but I bet I could cut the weight significantly.  My only issue is I prefer to carry meds in their original containers and sometimes smaller sizes are not available.
Many first aid suppliers sell single dose packs of OTC medicines.  Some who sell kits even sell a general medicine resupply packet.  It isn’t as cheap as buying large containers, but you won’t use as often either.

For my prescriptions, I have a picture of the prescription in my phone.  If traveling I’ll also keep a print out of the prescriptions in my bag.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #20 on: August 26, 2022, 04:49:51 PM
Pictures of the prescription with the pill is another really good idea that I hadn't thought of previously.  I did make up a laminated wallet card listing all of my medical conditions, doctor's phone numbers, emergency contacts, and a list of my medications.  Single dose packets would be best for an IFAK providing I could remember they are there and use them, or rotate them out when they expire.  I don't have the best track record for that. ::)

no Offline nakken

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: August 28, 2022, 12:10:44 PM
I picked up the same pouch not too long ago, but haven't gotten around to using it yet. I am surprised by how much you managed to fit in it, nicely done! Great tip for a layout :tu:

* 20220828_120406.jpg (Filesize: 123.49 KB)

gb Offline Tasky

Reply #22 on: September 01, 2022, 11:07:28 PM
This is mine:

20220901_205106.jpg
* 20220901_205106.jpg (Filesize: 206.91 KB)

Well, that's mine in coyote. I also have ones in black and OG, to match whichever jacket/trousers I'm wearing.
The contents are based on the sort of people I'm usually around and what sort of injuries they're most at risk from:

20220901_205412.jpg
* 20220901_205412.jpg (Filesize: 154.6 KB)

- So that's a 12x12cm bandage, and one that's 6x6cm.
 - Next to those is a bottle of eye-bath, because kids and mechanics often get stuff in their eyes.
 - Three burnshield gel sachets, for sunburn, and burns from hot exhausts, engines, oils and occasionally boiling water.
 - A pack of SteriStrips™, which work great on punch-split skin, but may also be more applicable to some wounds than simple plasters.
 - WoundClot™ is awesome stuff, and again may be better suited than other options.
 - Plasters are essential when you have young kids running around on tarmac.
 - Set of four mini Cyalume™ lightsticks, not so much for working light but are useful as markers from up to 30yds away.
 - Small tin of Ibuprofen, paracetamol and aspirin.
 - Several sterile wipes, because no-one falls in simple dirt when scuffing their knee, and because even grown-ups like playing with knives.
 - The all-important CPR face shield, which should be in every FAK of every* kind and size.
 - Gloves, for emergency smuggled contraband checks...!!

You may also notice the little torch sewn to the inside of the pouch, there.
That's an Olight i1R 2 EOS, which offers a low output of 5 lumens for 6hrs, or a high of 150 lumens for 15 mins. Pretty good for such a small package, USB rechargable, ideal for emergency uses.
It's one of only two Olight torches that I felt were worth buying... which is great as they so often give them away (postage still payable) during sales events!

*I have a tiny watch-pocket version of this kit, which is just plasters and a couple other bits, but still includes a face shield!

us Offline Sos24

Reply #23 on: September 01, 2022, 11:36:22 PM
I picked up the same pouch not too long ago, but haven't gotten around to using it yet. I am surprised by how much you managed to fit in it, nicely done! Great tip for a layout :tu:
Glad this thread can help.  Tasky’s set-up offers so other good ideas too for determining best content for your needs.

us Offline Sos24

Reply #24 on: September 01, 2022, 11:42:47 PM
This is mine:

[ Quoting of attachment images from other messages is not allowed ]  

Well, that's mine in coyote. I also have ones in black and OG, to match whichever jacket/trousers I'm wearing.
The contents are based on the sort of people I'm usually around and what sort of injuries they're most at risk from:

- Next to those is a bottle of eye-bath, because kids and mechanics often get stuff in their eyes.
 - Three burnshield gel sachets, for sunburn, and burns from hot exhausts, engines, oils and occasionally boiling water.
 - A pack of SteriStrips, which work great on punch-split skin, but may also be more applicable to some wounds than simple plasters.
 - WoundClot is awesome stuff, and again may be better suited than other options.
 - Set of four mini Cyalume lightsticks, not so much for working light but are useful as markers from up to 30yds away.
 - Several sterile wipes, because no-one falls in simple dirt when scuffing their knee, and because even grown-ups like playing with knives.
 - The all-important CPR face shield, which should be in every FAK of every* kind and size.

That's an Olight i1R 2 EOS, which offers a low output of 5 lumens for 6hrs, or a high of 150 lumens for 15 mins. Pretty good for such a small package, USB rechargable, ideal for emergency uses.
It's one of only two Olight torches that I felt were worth buying... which is great as they so often give them away (postage still payable) during sales events!

*I have a tiny watch-pocket version of this kit, which is just plasters and a couple other bits, but still includes a face shield!
Nice lay-out and content.  Thanks for sharing.

- I have the same bottle of eye wash in a couple other kits.  I didn’t add to this kit, but might need to rethink because my other has come in handy in the past.
- Woundclot or Quickclot can definitely come in handy.  I have different sizes in other first aid or trauma kits.  Again may be something to reconsider.

The compromises in having a kit so small are sometimes hard.  But I’ve learned from experience if the kit is too big, sometimes you are kore likely to leave behind.

I o like those Cyalume light sticks.  I’ve never seen ones so small.  I didn’t add a torch because I almost always have one on me.  I do have a Mateminco CSF-06 minim lantern coming that may end up attached to the kit.

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: September 02, 2022, 03:40:32 PM
Nice lay-out and content.  Thanks for sharing.

- I have the same bottle of eye wash in a couple other kits.  I didn’t add to this kit, but might need to rethink because my other has come in handy in the past.
- Woundclot or Quickclot can definitely come in handy.  I have different sizes in other first aid or trauma kits.  Again may be something to reconsider.

The compromises in having a kit so small are sometimes hard.  But I’ve learned from experience if the kit is too big, sometimes you are kore likely to leave behind.

I o like those Cyalume light sticks.  I’ve never seen ones so small.  I didn’t add a torch because I almost always have one on me.  I do have a Mateminco CSF-06 minim lantern coming that may end up attached to the kit.

The glow sticks are often sold as for attaching to fishing floats etc., I've found that it can take a little trial and error to find a good brand but they're pretty cheap  :tu:
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

no Offline nakken

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: September 02, 2022, 08:53:24 PM
Excellent setup, Tasky :like:

us Offline Sos24

Reply #27 on: September 02, 2022, 09:30:05 PM
The glow sticks are often sold as for attaching to fishing floats etc., I've found that it can take a little trial and error to find a good brand but they're pretty cheap  :tu:
I’ll keep that in mind.

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #28 on: September 02, 2022, 09:32:46 PM

MBBCK: mini boo boo and convenience kit.  Bandages, alcohol wipes, dental floss, 2x antihistamine, 6x aspirin (emergency blood thinner), 2x antidiarrheal, 5x Tums, 10x Advil, 5x safety pins and a paper clip.  Could drop in a Victorinox Classic and some cash.  I carry this when I don't need something bigger, and am not a great distance from the FAK in my vehicle - i.e., the zoo, Home Depot, etc.  There is always that sliding scale of ease of carry vs. utility.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002YWZUZC?ref=nb_sb_ss_w_as-reorder-t1_ypp_rep_k0_1_16&amp&crid=2NHQMO0YVLEAQ&amp&sprefix=manhattan+portag
« Last Edit: September 02, 2022, 09:40:05 PM by powernoodle »
:doggy: :doggy: :doggy:

us Offline Sos24

Reply #29 on: September 02, 2022, 09:42:23 PM
This is mine:

- A pack of SteriStrips, which work great on punch-split skin, but may also be more applicable to some wounds than simple plasters.
 - WoundClot is awesome stuff, and again may be better suited than other options.
 - Set of four mini Cyalume lightsticks, not so much for working light but are useful as markers from up to 30yds away.

After seeing your kit, I took another look.  I added the eye wash and a small Woundclot (2x8in ?).  To make it fit, I removed the stretch gauze roll.  I figure the Vet wrap or TQ can work as a wrap.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%