Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Corkscrew or Phillips SD (VOTE)

Poll

What do people prefer corkscrew or Phillips

Corkscrew
Phillips Screwdriver
No back tools

us Offline RoccoT.31

Corkscrew or Phillips SD (VOTE)
on: August 26, 2022, 06:10:40 PM
Curious to know what people here prefer more. corkscrew, Phillips screwdriver or no tools at all on the back layer of sak.  I definitely prefer the corkscrew because there's more things that you can do with it. And because you can also add the Mini screwdriver or tool set to it. The back phillips screwdriver is a bit awkward compared to using an inline Phillips and you lose the addition of the mini tools set.
Rock the Vote. Every Vote counts. :popcorn:

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Re: Corkscrew or Phillips SD (VOTE)
Reply #1 on: August 26, 2022, 06:30:26 PM
The corkscrew is way better in my opinion. Backside phillips is awkward to use and only has one use. Corkscrew has a lot of uses. Plus, the can opener is a pretty good phillips driver.

us Offline dimledger

• Kilroy Was Here
Reply #2 on: August 26, 2022, 07:06:36 PM
I'd rather have the Phillips driver, though that's mostly because I think a SAK feels better in hand that way.

I rarely use it, but I don't drink wine and prefer to use a nail file or awl for undoing knots.

I do admit to missing the little eyeglass screwdriver, but you can't have everything in life.

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: August 26, 2022, 07:18:54 PM
Corkscrew. You already have a meh Phillips on the can opener, why would you want another that's at an awkward angle?

While I don't go around opening bottles of wine every day, it has saved the day once or twice, and it's handy for all kinds of poking and prodding.

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 26, 2022, 07:34:44 PM
The corkscrew on my huntsman holds in a piece of a vaseline soaked cotton ball along with the eyeglass screwdriver. Replace the toothpick with a small ferro rod and you have a fire kit built in to your SAK.

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: August 26, 2022, 07:37:54 PM
Unrelated to the corkscrew, but you can wedge a needle and thread in the saw layer and retrieve it with the tweezers when needed as well.

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: August 26, 2022, 07:43:33 PM
The corkscrew is way better in my opinion. Backside phillips is awkward to use and only has one use. Corkscrew has a lot of uses. Plus, the can opener is a pretty good phillips driver.

:iagree: totally like  :tu:

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #7 on: August 26, 2022, 10:06:51 PM
I know this topic comes up from time to time, but I think it's a good idea to revisit stuff like this because, as time goes on, people change their minds. And that's OK!

For example, I would have said "corkscrew, of course!" if you'd asked me a week or two ago. But I'll be darned - for some reason I've been reaching for Tinkers and Tinker cousins a lot lately. And that back Phillips has come in handy on one more than one occasion too!

So, I'm not voting yet. I'm thinking...  :think:
« Last Edit: August 26, 2022, 11:45:46 PM by marlowe221 »

us Offline Kraken

Reply #8 on: August 26, 2022, 10:26:31 PM
Corkscrew all day for me. I've tried the back side Phillips driver carrying a Super Tinker and a Deluxe Tinker and the driver just wasn't applicable in most of the situations I found the need for it. I now carry an Explorer and don't think I'll ever be able to go with anything else. Plus, I've had a need for the corkscrew on a few occasions.
Semper Fortis

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: August 26, 2022, 10:33:39 PM
No back tools for me, then Phillips and on the odd occasion I might carry the Corkscrew. I like things more streamlined.

us Offline Swisster

• Ambassador of SAK's
Reply #10 on: August 26, 2022, 11:22:17 PM
more uses for a corkscrew and there is already screwdrivers in there. Watching Felix Immler or Nikguyver on Youtube opens your eyes to a lot of uses for the corkscrew.

us Offline Kraken

Reply #11 on: August 26, 2022, 11:42:23 PM
more uses for a corkscrew and there is already screwdrivers in there. Watching Felix Immler or Nikguyver on Youtube opens your eyes to a lot of uses for the corkscrew.
:iagree:
Semper Fortis

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #12 on: August 26, 2022, 11:49:09 PM
Corkscrew all day for me. I've tried the back side Phillips driver carrying a Super Tinker and a Deluxe Tinker and the driver just wasn't applicable in most of the situations I found the need for it. I now carry an Explorer and don't think I'll ever be able to go with anything else. Plus, I've had a need for the corkscrew on a few occasions.

The Explorer really hits a sweet spot in a lot of ways. It's a shame, though, that you can't get the inline Phillips/mag glass layer on a 2 or 3 layer knife these days without going the custom route or spending a small fortune on eBay.

00 Offline XAVT

Reply #13 on: August 27, 2022, 12:16:43 AM
Corkscrew as it does enable you to to add additional tools and features to your SAK such as the mini tools or fire ant set

20220805_141944.jpg
* 20220805_141944.jpg (Filesize: 245.44 KB)

20220805_142029.jpg
* 20220805_142029.jpg (Filesize: 243.57 KB)

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #14 on: August 27, 2022, 12:30:24 AM
I’m with zoidberg. No back tools, at least on victorinox knives.

On victorinox knives, if the layer has back tools, the back springs aren’t flush with the liners, which is ugly and not very comfortable. Wenger, and I assume the delemont Vics, have flush springs with back tools which is much better, though I still prefer the more streamlined look and feel with no tools.
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline proletenstahl

Reply #15 on: August 27, 2022, 06:15:54 AM
I've found that screws that require a proper Phillips instead of the can opener are usually in places where there's not enough room to use the backside driver effectively.  :-\

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #16 on: August 27, 2022, 08:37:13 AM
I have SAKs with both tools & others with no back tools, & I like them all!  :)

I voted corkscrew though as I'd rather have it close at hand than not at all, if it makes any sense. It is a more versatile tool than the Phillips. I like the Phillips for handling comfort but Delemont Evo scales make the CS less obtrusive if it's problem.
Rambler

gb Offline Rizio Il Ghiro

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: August 27, 2022, 10:00:53 AM
Corkscrew for me - that mini screwdriver is so useful for spectacle maintenance - saved me many a time!

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #18 on: August 27, 2022, 11:01:03 AM

I was going to make this exact comment. The can opener is fine for a quick fix. The backside Phillips is a little limited because of placement. I edc the Deluxe Tinker, but I've never needed the Phillips, because I also edc a mini ratchet. I'd rather have the corkscrew.

us Offline Fireman

• No Life Club
  • Truck Monkey
Reply #19 on: August 27, 2022, 12:33:09 PM
The phillips functions better as a tool.  The corkscrew functions better as a tool carrier.

In my younger days, when I still drank wine, the SAK corkscrew was all I had to open them.   I have no use for a corkscrew now, so it's good for mini drivers, tinder, and keep the pin in place in the scale.

I've used the phillips to get to screws that are set deeply enough that can opener phillips couldn't reach them.

I'll take either over no back tools.  If I wanted a knife with fewer tools, I wouldn't be carrying a SAK.   ;)

es Offline Gio_Luso

Reply #20 on: August 27, 2022, 01:02:32 PM
No doubt, corkscrew.  :salute:

gb Offline MichaelGT83

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: August 27, 2022, 01:39:10 PM

This. And you have the added bonus of carrying the minitool of your choice as well.
We have the tools, we have the talent!

us Offline Steelej1976

Reply #22 on: August 27, 2022, 03:35:52 PM
I know this topic comes up from time to time, but I think it's a good idea to revisit stuff like this because, as time goes on, people change their minds. And that's OK!

For example, I would have said "corkscrew, of course!" if you'd asked me a week or two ago. But I'll be darned - for some reason I've been reaching for Tinkers and Tinker cousins a lot lately. And that back Phillips has come in handy on one more than one occasion too!

So, I'm not voting yet. I'm thinking...  :think:

This is so true, I have been all over the map on the corkscrew vs Philips but I have decided on the Recruit (no backside tools).  Who knows I could change my mind again, always good to revisit the options.

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #23 on: August 27, 2022, 03:52:22 PM
I voted Phillips because I use that more than I use a CS!

However, I would prefer an 93mm Alox with an in-line option (4 layers max)

Basically a PX with a Phillips or an FX sans saw (either way it MUST have scissors) 2D is do-able awlso  :dd:
They don't like it up 'em!

us Offline Explorer

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: August 27, 2022, 04:05:02 PM

us Offline hsherzfeld

Reply #25 on: August 27, 2022, 09:15:07 PM
I voted corkscrew, but honestly, I no longer have a strong preference either way. I like the Philips simply because it provides a more comfortable resting place for my thumb, and it also holds the straight pin in place even if the pin is loose in the slot. I like the corkscrew because it is great for untangling knots and holds the mini driver.

The fact is that there are simply more models with the corkscrew; the current Philips models stop at the Fieldmaster and Deluxe Tinker. So I had to get used to the corkscrew in order to expand beyond the Tinker and its relatives. My favorite model, the Explorer, has both the corkscrew and an inline Philips driver, which makes this question moot.
Current SAKs: Explorer, SwissChamp, Handyman (modded), Climber, Super Tinker, Tinker, Woodsman (modded), Electrician, Pioneer, SwissTool, Executive, Ambassador, Champion Plus
Current Leatherman tools: PST, Original Wave, Wave, Wave+, Blast, Bond, Curl, Style PS, Micra

Boomer Sooner!

us Offline Farmer X

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master of the unexciting
Reply #26 on: August 28, 2022, 06:04:40 AM
Matters not to me. Each has its purpose, and I have examples of each that see carry time.
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #27 on: August 28, 2022, 06:37:52 AM
Years ago I would have chosen the phillips but I am more a corkscrew fella these days.  While I know the can opener can be used as a phillips I never or rarely do.  I like the ability to carry my mini driver in my corkscrew.
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline Rizio Il Ghiro

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: August 28, 2022, 10:27:48 AM
I forgot to add that the corkscrew is great for opening hard to open jars, I tip I learned here - definitely  a use I wouldn’t have thought of on my own! :facepalm:

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: August 28, 2022, 12:17:46 PM
How does that work? Does it wriggle under the lip to release the pressure?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%